PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Jimmah12. Need pics of ramp frame

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 01:50 PM
i need the pics of a ramp frame. Im building my ramp the same size as Jimmah's ramp 4x5x8 feet. I want to see the frame and where you gusset it.

im building it with wood also.

Rip_Tear
08-28-2003, 02:39 PM
try a PM!

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I was referring to jimmah yes but if someone else got a frame pic of a wood ramp Id like to see it:)

2001 trx400ex
08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
make a bigger ramp, and move it back slowly. make a rev one. the benifit of that is that is u are sceptical of hitting big jumps you can start off wiith the ramp close to the landing and as u move it back u can do bigger tricks. The rev one isnt that big of a ramp so i would suggest to use that ramp until u find it doesnt shoot u high enough or far enough then get another ramp. The rev one is a begginers ramp in my eyes.

rider250ex
08-28-2003, 04:03 PM
i can get pics of the frame of mine tomorrow. it is the same size as the one you want to build...

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 04:07 PM
2001 trx400ex I dont know if you saw jimmahs ramp but anyway I want to start with this.

nice rider250ex!!

Jimmah12
08-28-2003, 04:11 PM
My ramp was pretty sweet. I'll try and see if I can find and old pics of it tomorrow. Also my ramp was good for 10 - 55ft gap. I started it out with 0 gap and then 20 and then maxed it at 55.

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 04:27 PM
great. is it solid?? can it flip over when we arive at the lip??

Juggalo
08-28-2003, 05:35 PM
:rolleyes: one of these days one of your guys are gonna get seriousley hurt on these crappy rickety barley wide enough ramps. not trying to be a dick but i say if your not gonna do it the right way you shouldn't be doin it at all. just stick to dirt.

MILF_HUNTER
08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
amen juggalo. amen
if your going to cut corners then you better have a room waiting at the hospital. i dunno not to be a *** but it just seems like everybody and there cousin wants a ramp. i dunno. its a late night. just me ranting

2001 trx400ex
08-28-2003, 06:49 PM
i have been hitting 4 foot wide ramps this whole season. Actually every ramp i have hit was 4 feet wide exept the rev 1 because they were all dirtbike ramps. I can't even imagine hitting a 8 foot wide ramp. i think 4 foot wide ramp is good for stock ex width as long as u have good precision.

Jimmah12
08-29-2003, 01:10 AM
A metal or dirt ramp be just as dangerous as anything else if made wrong. I have never had a ramp collaspe on me but then again I take 8-10 hours to build the wooden ones. I don't cut corners on them. My old ramp lasted almost 2 yrs with no damage. Only reason I don't still have it is because we had to knock it down with a front end loader because some people are just smart enough to try and jump from the landing to the take off..... Actually that front end loader used to be able to ride up the ramp until the wheels would spin, that shows how stong wood ones CAN BE. Juggalo I know your not trying to be a dick but not all of us have access to welders, that doesn't mean wood can't do the job eeither though. I agree with you everyone and their brother wants a ramp now and wether or not they can even build one or even jump one is another thing. I'm just sharing the knowlegde, there wasn't anyone to help me besides Muff when I built my first ramp. All I'm saying is some of us do know what we're doing when it comes to working with wood.

Ex_Rider43
08-29-2003, 04:03 AM
mine will be 6 feet wide instead of 5

but when I will jump it, do you think the ramp will flip over me??

Jimmah12
08-29-2003, 04:07 AM
No. if it's 4ft high and 8 ft long then it won't flip.

rider250ex
08-29-2003, 04:10 AM
hey ex_rider52 whats your email adress so i can send the pics

Ex_Rider43
08-29-2003, 08:47 AM
send it there ex_rider52@hotmail.com

Juggalo
08-29-2003, 10:31 AM
i know not everybody has access to a welder and all the things needed to make a good solid ramp, but thats not the point. the point is if you can't do it right you shouldn't do it. i don't have access to a million dollars, so i shouldn't go out and take out a load for a lamborghini. sure some people have one and it would be awesome to have one but i can't. i could buy an engine lets say but i would have to put it on a go cart frame and that would just be unsafe even tho i could probably get it to work. you see what i am sayin? i know its a wacky explaination but hey, its true. i'm sorry guys but you should just stick to dirt. and i don't care what you say about a 4 foot ramp being wide enough. sure your quad will make it probably but that doesn't make it a good idea or safe. thats one of the dumbest ideas i have heard in a long time. you might as well ride without a helmet, sure you probably won't get hurt but the odds are much much higher of getting hurt. leave the ramps to those who can do it the right way or just leave them to the professionals.

Jimmah12
08-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Jug, are talking to me? Or are you talking about the other people who all of a sudden need ramps? Because I take pride in my ramp building, I've built metal and wooden ones and will stand by both but I don't take kindly to someone telling me that what I am doing is basically wrong. Now there has never been any problems between me and you so I don't see why you would take an attitude all of a sudden but when I read your post it seems like your directing it towrds me more.

Ex_Rider43
08-29-2003, 11:49 AM
I never talked about a 4feet wide ramp??:huh mine will be 6...

Juggalo
08-31-2003, 09:44 AM
jimmah no my comments aren't directed towards you or anybody in general (with the exception of the guy with the 4 foot wide ramp). if you have faith in your wood ramps thats good, i'll take your word for it. i believe a strong enough wood ramp is possible (hell how many people ride wooden roller coasters that put way more stress on the wood than a quad ever could) and if you build em strong enough thats good. but what worries me is the explosion of all these people building wood ramps and i am willing to bet 95% of them are not as strong as they should be. i'll always be against wooden ramps just because i have had so many break on me and i have seen way too many crappy ones. its just not a good idea in my opinion, but if you disagree its a simple matter of not taking my advice and building your own. i am just worried about all the bad publicity and all the hurt kids that may result from all these new ramps being built. its not just on here either. theres probably tons of kids who saw h-5 and went out and built their own ramp with some scrap wood their dads had layin around. if wood ramps were a good idea then all the ramp building companies would have a money saving wood design, but they all realize your asking for trouble with wood. but hey i'd say launching a quad off an 8 foot high chunk of steel and sailing 80 feet is probably asking for trouble too. just be careful out there.

ex_rider52- i know you said nothing about a 4 foot ramp. it was 2001 trx400ex who says hes been hitting a 4 foot wide one all season. thats who i was talkin about.

rider250ex
08-31-2003, 10:01 AM
mine is 5 feet wide and i had my bro who is a carpenter help me build it so i am pretty confident in it