PDA

View Full Version : Help: Suspension setting for drag racing

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 07:17 AM
I have a rear strut to lower my ex... now how can I get the maximum traction with it without wheelieing at the gate???

how to setup the rear shock for it??

Narly R
08-28-2003, 09:23 AM
You want ur bike to be lower all the way around but if the front in lower thats best. Um good gearing so you get al the power on the ground and good tires, practice! then ull get the hang of it!;)

DEAL
08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
If you lower your rear and put elkas on the front your not going to have any problems with wheelies , my rear has about 2 inches of sag and my elkas preload adjustment is about an inch from the top and my quad won't wheelie easily at all unless I really pull on it.

wilkin250r
08-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Look into a no-link setup. They are expensive, but they give a little more power to the ground than a linkage setup. However, they are rather specialized, like many things. They are better for drag racing, but not as good for jumping or MX.

Narly R
08-28-2003, 11:49 AM
*not to flame* but how is a no link better than link for mx? No link offers lower center of gravity and more rear travel? IMO it looks sweet...:ermm:

mikeboone
08-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
*not to flame* but how is a no link better than link for mx? No link offers lower center of gravity and more rear travel? IMO it looks sweet...:ermm:

He is saying the no-link is better for drag and the link rear is better for MX. I run Marvin Shaw billet drag shocks on my 400ex. I also have it geared to the moon and it still raises up. Try to feather the clutch off the line and lean over the bars on takeoff. ** I do assume you mean asphalt drags and not dirt? My shocks have eyelets on both top and bottom of rear shock that allow me to run w/o the stock link--it goes straight from shock mount to swingarm.

Ex_Rider43
08-28-2003, 01:57 PM
im going to dirt drags as well as asfalt drags.

you mean to let the clutch slip at the gate??

how about getting a steel rod and atach it right to the swingarm... is it better for traction or the transfer will be bad:confused:

I need a simple way to get a better transfer because drag racing isnt my priority...

Narly R
08-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Ok let me correct myself my bad! I think no link IS better than link for mx, and ya it would help with draggin too, but thats expensive!:eek2:

KASCHAK
08-28-2003, 05:42 PM
umm.. what is link and no link? i saw somone talking about eylets on the shocks is it something to do with that?

Narly R
08-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Ok im pretty shure a 400ex has a link setup... its the two bars that are conneted to the swingarm and that connect to the shock, thats a link setup. A no link setup it where the shock goes drirecly from the fram to the swing arm. Whick makes the bike lower and allows more travel. You have to have a no link frame shock and swingarm though! You might be able to do some tinkering with a stock frame to makie it work.:ermm:

Oh and its Elites. Its just a more advanced model of the Elka shock.;)

wilkin250r
08-29-2003, 08:31 AM
In a no-link setup, the orientation of the shock changes with respect to the direction of motion. Basically, the direction of travel is nearly vertical, but as the shock compresses, it becomes more horizontal. This change in orientation makes the shock less effective the more in compresses. Imagine if the shock became completely horizontal, directly in line with the swingarm. It could never offer any resistance to the vertical travel of the wheels. It would also come at the worst time. When you are closest to bottoming out, you are getting the worst performance from your shock.

With a linkage setup, the shock is able to stay more vertical, along the direction of travel. This gives it more of a linear response. The more you compress, the more it pushes back.

This really applies to retrofit linkage to no-link systems, like the 400EX or the 250r. The upper shockmounts and other components are originally designed to work with the linkage. The cannondale has a no-link system, but it is effective because it is originally designed that way.

I have no doubt that a good aftermarket no-link system can perform just as well as the stock linkage system, but that's comparing apples to oranges. For two aftermarket systems on the 400EX, the linkage system will always have better performance for MX than a no-link system.

LilGuyOn400ex
08-29-2003, 10:13 AM
I think you need my wheelie bar I have for sale.
Also, if you put 300ex shocks on front, an adjustable strut on the back. You can control the weight transfer and not wheelie.
Just my opinion.