PDA

View Full Version : More Performance.

MoparTrav
01-28-2002, 12:17 PM
i race with alot of my buddy's basically straight line drag racing, i have a 2002 400ex that is stock, they are mainly running all stock banshee's and raptor's with pipes. When we come out of the hole i am in the lead through 3rd gear, 4th i stay steady and then in 5th they come around me, i wasnt wondering what would help me out in top end but not make me loose all my bottem end

01-28-2002, 01:23 PM
You come out in the lead against piped rapters? Something seems wrong here.....

MoparTrav
01-28-2002, 01:42 PM
the two raptors are stock, the banshee's have pipes.

max400EX
01-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Take your air box lid off (loose the red drain plug too), Stick an Outerwaer on, Re-Jet to a 158-160, Do the Gabe pipe mod (http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/exhaust/index.htm), Grind the weld out of your header, Fire it up, HANG ON!

MoparTrav
01-31-2002, 08:05 AM
does anyone have any step by step directions on the pipe mod, do i have to cut the muffler and re-weld it?

Scott
01-31-2002, 09:01 AM
From the mod of Gabe's that I read, you have two options. You can cut the pipe in half and re-weld it, or you can use a drill from the baffle end of the muffler and drill through the wall seperating the middle and rear chambers. The drill method will effectively bypass the 3 chamber set up and give you basically an open exhaust. But that's just how I read it.

MoparTrav
01-31-2002, 09:22 AM
thats kinda what i thought, but in order to use the top and last feed, if you look at pic 3 and pic 2 pic 3 has that pipe cut away, the only way i see to do this is to cut the muffler in two. is it really worth going through all this with what power u will gain.

Matt Fisher
01-31-2002, 09:56 AM
An easier way to get to the inlet pipe cut would be to use a 2 " hole saw. Cut the inside pipe, then weld the hole back up, using the disk that the hole saw left behind.

MoparTrav
01-31-2002, 10:15 AM
if anyone has done this is it really worth the power gain, i mean is it even noticable.

Scott
01-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Why not just keep it simple and drill the hole? The tube you're concerned with cutting is the tube that the gas enters the muffler through, so shortening it doesn't do anything to the diameter (flow) and the couple inches difference isn't going to dramatically change the back pressure either. I would just drill the hole from the rear since it's easy to get to and try that out.

305exracer11
01-31-2002, 12:35 PM
my friends 400ex with kn filter and e series pipe killed my other friends raptor that has a white brothers pipe and kn filter man was he mad

mysticfalcon
02-01-2002, 12:50 AM
I did my pipe both ways. I drilled a 1 1/2" hole through the back and rode that. Got a just barely seat of the pants increace and about a 1.5 bike lenght edge over my budy with a stock bike then i cut open the pipe and did the other end and got about the same gain all over again. i never got to ride against my budy again cause he got a wb e series on the day i did my 2nd pipe mod but it was a gain so i think its worth it im only about 1 bike lenght behind my buddys with a white bros definately worth it since time is free and a new pipe is a couple hundred bucks. sorry about the long post but iwanted to be sure you would understand what i was sayn

Braff1
02-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I tried the mod listed by 4punksdad http://forums.exriders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1925&highlight=stock+exhaust+mod%2A

I already had the K&N filter with the outerwears but I did notice some gain in my bottom end when I ride it now.

Smoker
02-03-2002, 12:23 PM
I know everyone doesn't have money (including me) to spend on bike mods and I'm all about DIY improvement, but it seems like a lot of trouble to mod the stocker when you can get a used slip on for a little over a hundreds bucks. The stocker weighs a ton and you really will want the stock pipe to be unaltered if you sell your bike later (say Fourtrax 450R). Not trying to be a wiseguy, I've come across a few pipes for under $100 just looking around on the internet. I know a flame will follow but I had to say it. :p

Braff1
02-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Smoker the mod only takes 30 minutes to complete. When the funds become available I to will be looking for a PC T-4 exhaust. But for now it is free vs 100 + dollars. BTW no flaming intended.

Smoker
02-03-2002, 03:02 PM
No that's cool, I've had to fight and scrape for parts so I know what you mean. It's fun explaining to the wife that the brand new four wheeler you bought isn't good enough and you want to spend money on parts for it. :p