PDA

View Full Version : not reving right??

GOMER007
08-27-2003, 04:29 PM
ok I was out riding today and I noticed that when I stop and pin it and it goes up and it startsreving up and down by bout 200-300rpm and if I hould it black smoke comes out?(is'ntburntoilsmoke more blue?) it's a stock '99 400ex and the guy that had it befor mee rode it verry had??
any idea's??:confused2

nakomis0
08-27-2003, 05:27 PM
I would start with the easy stuff. Sounds like tis could be jetted very rich. Check the plug, see if its real black. If it is go down a jet and see if it improves.

Bill Fuller
08-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter and are in need of rings and or valve seals.

GOMER007
08-28-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter and are in need of rings and or valve seals.

probly both! I think it's still jetted from the factory(witch is sea level right?):blah:

lil400exman
08-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by GOMER007
probly both! I think it's still jetted from the factory(witch is sea level right?):blah:
no lol where ever it was was bought at it was jetted for that area cause honda dealers jet them when they get them:)

drip
08-28-2003, 06:00 AM
Definitely sounds like the rev limiter. The smoke could be from holding it pinned and when the rev limiter kicks in it stops the spark to the plug. Your engine is still cranking allowing fuel to build up in the cylinder (this is what is causing it to seem like it is running rich) and when the RPM's drop enough it allows the spark to return, thus igniting most of the built-up fuel in the cylinder causing it to produce a little smoke. By the way, it isn't a good thing to sit there and hold your throttle pinned untill you hit the rev limiter. Why were you doing this again?

The440Exorcist
08-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Does it smoke when you start it? If its the valve seals you will get alot of blue smoke when you start it, then it tapers off. If its the rings it will smoke like crazy even when its warm. If its the first case (valveseals) Look o e-bay. you can get new valves, seals, and 3angle valve job for like $175 with shipping. A very good deal in my opinion.

BTW: I just realized it was black smoke you were talking about, but maybe the above will help someone else.