View Full Version : Wheel offset?

MotoLappa
08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
I just got a set of FREE wheels from a coworker. How do you mesure the offset? I put one on and compared it to my stock wheels. Each wheel would be an inch wider thus making the four wheeler 2 inches wider in the front. Is this safe to do? The wheels are deeply dished and I don't know what kind strength wheels like that are? They are red labels. Are red labels .190 would you put them on? I wasn't going to turn them away. They were free and in pretty good condition. I need spares anyway.

cdalejef
08-27-2003, 02:40 PM
even if they are red lables, your stock wheels are stronger!!!

MotoLappa
08-27-2003, 02:50 PM
I just got this quad and I will ride mostly on trails so I really dont want it wider. I was wondering if people run with wider offset wheels and what kind of effect does a deep dished front wheel have compared to stock.

Bad Habit
08-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Oh no, not again. I'm still worn out from the last offset wheel thread.:D

Look back a couple pages in the Suspension section and you'll find all kinds of info on offset wheels.

MotoLappa
08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
OK sorry Im new.:confused:

Bad Habit
08-27-2003, 03:15 PM
No need to be sorry dude. It's just that there was a huge thread about offset wheels and it's effect on suspension geometry back a few days ago. My comment was more of an attempt at humor because Jeff was a participant in the thread (along with about half of the membership). It's actually an outstanding discussion on the whole topic. I would recommend everyone read it.

MotoLappa
08-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Yeah I found it. Thanks. You are right I think everyone could learn something from that thread.

boogiechile
08-28-2003, 02:55 AM
sounds like you have a set of 3+2 offsets if it is about 1 inch wider on each side. They will add some bump steer but not all that bad. The 2+3 offset wheels get more noticable and flipping stock wheels gets crazy. I beleive you will be fine running those wheels. If you have a steering damper then set it a little stiffer. If you dont have one you may want to check into getting one if you feel any feedback from the wheels.