PDA

View Full Version : STRONG Tie Rods for GNCC

GNCC#829
08-27-2003, 01:51 PM
What kind of tie rods do all of you GNCC and hare scramble guys use. I have been looking on ebay and have found tie rods made of three different materials. There is Aluminum, Chromoly, and Stainless Steel. I have Aluminum ones, but one is bent. Are the other two stronger?

tprender
08-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Use the stock 250R tie rods. They are just a little bit larger than the 400 and a different material I think. But they are stronger.

Wingnut
08-27-2003, 02:23 PM
I used some chromoly ones one time. Yes they are strong. After five minutes of riding I clipped a tree and broke a spindle. The problem with the stronger tie rods, as I found out, is that they are stronger than some of the other steering components. Personally, I would have much rather replaced a $6 tie rod than a $150 spindle. What offset wheels do you run? I had a terrible time bending tie rods when I used 3/2 wheels, and still do when I bolt up those wheels, but with stock wheels I no longer have any trouble. I guess Honda chose the 3.5/1.5 off set wheels for a reason.

holeshot19
08-27-2003, 02:25 PM
didnt look like u were cliping trees sunday r u geting faster or im i just getting older

cdalejef
08-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Stock are the best ones I have found. I`d say alum. would probally be the weakest you can run!

Wingnut
08-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by holeshot19
didnt look like u were cliping trees sunday r u geting faster or im i just getting older

little of both:blah:

holeshot19
08-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
little of both:blah: i know i feel the pain from sunday for at least 3 to 4 days later. :mad:

popo
08-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Call Houser, after falling off cliffs and smacking UGLY mine are working great.

Braff1
08-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
I used some chromoly ones one time. Yes they are strong. After five minutes of riding I clipped a tree and broke a spindle. The problem with the stronger tie rods, as I found out, is that they are stronger than some of the other steering components. Personally, I would have much rather replaced a $6 tie rod than a $150 spindle. What offset wheels do you run? I had a terrible time bending tie rods when I used 3/2 wheels, and still do when I bolt up those wheels, but with stock wheels I no longer have any trouble. I guess Honda chose the 3.5/1.5 off set wheels for a reason.

This is why I was told to use the stock aluminum tie rods. With the spindles being aluminum also you want the weakest link to be the tie rod so that if you hit something solid the tie rod will give and not break the spindle.

08-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by popo
Call Houser, after falling off cliffs and smacking UGLY mine are working great.

I agreee. I bent my frame before my tie-rods from hittin trees...:mad: :grr:

MOFO
08-28-2003, 01:26 AM
I agree about having the tie rods be your weakest link. I would let them take the blow and bend rather than transfer that energy to something else that would break and put you out. Not to mention they are extremely cheap. Buy a few and throw them in your tool box... :macho

Braff1
08-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Tie rods are xtremely cheap. That is why I carry a spare in my tool box with me. During my last harescramble I bent mine on the first lap. I used my heel of my boot and a tree limb to bend it back some and still finished the race.

RIjon
08-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Extremely Cheap?

Arm & leg for +2" ones

I will be making my own from now on

Greedy bastids :mad: