PDA

View Full Version : Letting Quad cool

K2Snow
08-27-2003, 12:04 PM
OK, two pretty easy questions. First off, how often should you let a quad cool when riding it. Second, is it OK to wash your quad with cold water while it is still hot/warm or is there a chance that the metal could crack? Thanks in advance.

ktMan
08-27-2003, 12:06 PM
there is a chance that when washing the wheeler when hot it mgiht crack something, but it would have t obe pretty hot, but it would be good to let it cool down after a riding before washing. and letting it cool down, idunno!

Adam202
08-27-2003, 12:09 PM
you can ussually run your quad pretty long without letting it cool, but i ussually take a break every 30 mins- a hour anyways. as for washing it i would let it cool off or at least dont spray water on the motor.

FreekShow
08-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Let it cool pretty good before washing it or it could seize up your motor.:ermm:

chucked
08-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Let it cool pretty good before washing it or it could seize up your motor.

how will it seize up my motor???

Adam202
08-27-2003, 12:24 PM
it wouldnt, maybe he thinks it would warp your cylinder or something. if ne thing your case would crack.

chucked
08-27-2003, 12:30 PM
That's why I asked. I didnt know that it would be possible to seize a motor by getting it wet!! I wash my 400 almost everytime after riding. I usually only let it cool down long enough for me to put it in my truck, drive to the car wash and pull it off and Ive never had a problem. I also pressure wash the engine in my truck all the time. its 15 years old and im yet to have a problem.

K2Snow
08-27-2003, 12:32 PM
well i usually ride for an hour or two, it cools for about 10-15 minutes in the back of my truck on the way home, and then i wash it. if i'm out at the dunes, it has about 45 minutes to cool... so that isn't a prob. if i'm only riding right down the steert, it isn't too hot by the time i get home but hot enough to put out steam when i spray it with water. how cool should the engine be before i spray it down?

Chanman420q
08-27-2003, 12:35 PM
i usually ride for say 45 mins and let it cool for 10 mins........

and i usually take a shower first then go wash the quad.

Adam202
08-27-2003, 12:35 PM
not sure, but how many times have you been riding all day blasting through puddles? ive hit some big puddles and seen alot of steam come off the motor, so its really not a huge deal just dont spray a ton of water on it when its hot. best to be safe tho.

chucked
08-27-2003, 12:40 PM
and i usually take a shower first then go wash the quad.

if i took a shower before i washed it, and then washed it, i would have to take another shower

hondafox440
08-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Spraying water on hot cases isn't going to crack or weaken them. The metal used to construct the engine is extremely strong and temperature resistant. If it wasn't, you would see guys cracking cases when mudding, crossing streams, or going through puddles.

08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
my quad runs the whole day with maybe being shut off for 5 minutes. very rarely has time to cool off. :( also my quad has plenty of time to cool before i wash it. The nearest place to ride is 1 1/2 hours and i usually ride about 3 hours away. So at highway speeds on the trailer its already cool when it gets home. I get home late put it in the garage and wash it the next day. maybe thats why it never comes so clean bc i let the dirt sit on it for so long :cuss:

chucked
08-27-2003, 01:54 PM
maybe thats why it never comes so clean bc i let the dirt sit on it for so long

i think this calls for some Orange Blast

Rip_Tear
08-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Really it doesnt matter, but it doesn't hurt to let it cool before you wash it. And while you are riding, you will know when your legs are on fire! Or the plastics have melted off!

K2Snow
08-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Spraying water on hot cases isn't going to crack or weaken them. The metal used to construct the engine is extremely strong and temperature resistant. If it wasn't, you would see guys cracking cases when mudding, crossing streams, or going through puddles.

Makes sense, thanks. And thanks to everyone else for the input too.

Castor-426ex
08-27-2003, 05:32 PM
i tell ya what though thats the only hard metal on a 400ex is the engine then...cause ive broken and repaired just about every nut and bolt on one...lol:D

Bill Fuller
08-27-2003, 05:32 PM
If cold water hurt a hot engine don't you think the GNCC races would be littered with dead quads.Very few GNCC races don't have water crossings.I have gone through water during a race and steam has filled the air like green smock at a Pink Floyd concert.The water felt like it was going to burn my leg as it poured into my boots.Don't worry it's a HONDA:muscle:

K2Snow
08-27-2003, 07:16 PM
never seen a GNCC race, don't even know what one is... i've ridden for about 2 months now primarily at the dunes and a little in the dirt

sly400ex
08-28-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
If cold water hurt a hot engine don't you think the GNCC races would be littered with dead quads.Very few GNCC races don't have water crossings.I have gone through water during a race and steam has filled the air like green smock at a Pink Floyd concert.The water felt like it was going to burn my leg as it poured into my boots.Don't worry it's a HONDA:muscle:

Just like he said....I've ridden my wheeler hard for a couple of hours and then had to ride through a stream...no harm done. Although, it's not going to hurt anything to let it cool off for a little bit before you wash it.;)

Punk'd
08-28-2003, 09:55 AM
well wat do u think hapens wen u go threw a creek or something same thing