PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes suck!

barbwire44
01-28-2002, 09:06 AM
I ran a harescramble sunday and totally ate the pads off the rear, what makes it bad is that i installed them saturday night. Anybody find a great brake pad for the 400 yet. Please let me know what your running and how well they hold up.

Wheelie
01-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Check your rear brake lever to see if it moves freely. Its common for the brake lever to get crudded up and seize.

I purchased a set of EBC Severe Duty pads last summer and they work great. They are highly recommended.:D

BTW--If you still have the PB assembly, remove it and get a block off plate.

TRFOXX
01-28-2002, 09:18 AM
Get rid of that parking brake! I had the same problem went through 3 sets of pads in 4 months. EBC Severe Duty is what I use and they are still looking good after 4 months now.

01-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Yeah barbwire remove the emergency brake completely if you haven't already and pull out your brake pedal and grease that sucka up real good and I bet your problems will magically disappear..:D

Bspring
01-28-2002, 11:28 AM
You need to also check the pins that hold the caliper to the brake mount, not the pins for the pads. If these pins get stuck your brakes will not release and your pads will be worn at an angle. If they are worn at an angle your brake pedal is not the problem. Also check your axel nut if the rotor is loose on the axel that will cause premature wear.

R-Crazy
01-28-2002, 06:53 PM
i took off the parking brake cable, but do I need to take off the stock cover and get the plate aswell?

dave

tprender
01-28-2002, 07:11 PM
You will find out that the rear brake on the 400 is to small to stop the quad. Honda when they built the 400 used the caliptor from the 300 instead of the 250r to say money. If you are racing in a Hare Scrambles and it it total mud you will use up a set of pads in one ride. The Gold pads from EBE will last much longer than the gray pads. The trade off is that the heavy duty will not stop as good as the gray pads. Racing is a total different ballgame on wear of items compared to play riding. The most that I can get out of a set of rear pads racing HS is 4 rides. I will wear out 2 sets of fronts in one year.

Lil90man!!
01-28-2002, 07:13 PM
hey this is just my opinion of brake pads, i have a set for my 300 called fedaro or something like that, and they seem to last a pretty long time i have had them for 3 months but i ride almost every day! so they hold up pretty good!

Scott
01-29-2002, 07:48 AM
My 300 did the same as your 400, ate pads. 3 sets of pads in 3 rides. The post about the pins on the caliper is dead on. Ditch the parking brake and stock cover, lose the worm gear in the process, and put the block off plate on it. While you have it apart, clean up and lube the caliper pins and your problem will be solved.

Bspring
01-29-2002, 07:57 AM
I don’t think there is a problem with the REAR brakes on the 400 stopping the quad. If you can lock the rear tires up at speed with little effort how much more do you need out of your brakes? I do like the 250R brakes better because the duel piston calipers use a longer pad resulting in a smaller diameter rotor, which increases ground clearance.

About 80% of your stopping power should come from your front brakes. If you are not in the habit of using your front brakes start practicing this and you should see better lap times.

oynot400
01-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Bspring
About 80% of your stopping power should come from your front brakes. If you are not in the habit of using your front brakes start practicing this and you should see better lap times.
This is true, also when replacing the rear brake pads it is a good idea to check the piston of the caliper. I was eating up pads on every ride, I took the piston out and cleaned it up with some emory cloth and I haven't replace the rear pad for months. ;)