PDA

View Full Version : Arm Pump...HELP?

barbwire44
01-28-2002, 08:55 AM
I raced a harescramble sunday and my hands and arms hurt so bad i couldn't beleive it. Any suggestions or tips that would help......Maybe some exercises to try and remedy the problem.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

01-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Oh boy me too,,,I got on the MX track for the first time since my wreck in Oct...and yeah the beer drinkin and bein lazy didn't help me over the last 4 months,, Rico's kinda sore today..:D

I would suggest a steering dampner of some kind. Push ups everyday and one of them hand exercisers that ya squeeze are the main things I use to help out. Push ups really help,,especially after about a month or so of doin them you should be able to do about 150 - 200 in one day once you can do this you can back off to every other day. the 12 ounce curls won't help ya..:devil which is what my work out has been lately..that and stretch really really good before a long ride..did ya get any blisters?? If so the special gloves that PC racing makes work awesome..

barbwire44
01-28-2002, 10:07 AM
thanks for the advice rico i'll try some of the new hand strengthening gizmos and see what happens, I can do the push-ups now i usually hit the weights a few times a week, but i think that may be part of the problem. My arms and muscles are trained for short bursts of energy then a short rest. The hard riding for around 2 hours straight just really took its toll on me this weekend. Still finished 2nd but couldnt hold on at all.

Mity Mo
01-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Her is my own personal remedy for arm pump and fatigue. Take an old broom handle and cut it to about 18 inches. In the dead center of it drill a small hole through it. Put a length of rope through it and tie it off tightly. Now cut the rope to about 24-30 inches long. Get yourself an old brick or any weight you are comfortable with and tie it to the other end of the rope. Now when you are watching TV place your arms out with the stick in both hands and begin to roll the stick until the object/weight on the end has reached the top then unroll and repeat. Do this with the palms of your hands facing downward. Doing this will make your arms hurt in the same exact spot as riding does. Over time you will creat one large muscle there that will not be affected by arm pump. i have been doing it for two years now and rarely ever have arm pump, unless it is a really bad track. Hope that works for you. Mo:D

01-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Mo have you ever thought of marketing that there Idear??:D

Great info though,,I'm gonna have to try that out,,cuz them 12 ounce curls have done nothin for me like I thought,,well they did up my pants size..:eek:

Mity Mo
01-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Rico, once you get good at it, I switch from palms up to palms down and back now that is where you can really feel the burn. I quit 12 oz curling 3 years ago along with the smoking to dedicate my time to racing and building one of the best teams around. Hope it works. Mo:p

Tommy 17
01-28-2002, 07:26 PM
did any of u see the movie motocrossed on disney she put finger nail polish on to help stop it haha mayb rico and mo should try this:D

also i know there is surgury u can get for arm pump alot of pros get it but we aren't pros here... i gotta try that thing u guys are doin it seems like it will work good...

Juggalo
01-28-2002, 08:07 PM
one temperary way is to rub ben gay on your arms before a race or take some asprin. also be sure do be well hydrated.

Stevo
01-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Yeh the aluminum bars are a good idea. Front shocks are too, and maybe even a steering dampener!

barbwire44
01-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
one temperary way is to rub ben gay on your arms before a race or take some asprin. also be sure do be well hydrated.

I take it you're not kidding,does the ben gay really work? If so i'll try it sunday. I guess it can't hurt.

01-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
ben gay .

How long????

I had to do that,,,been usin that term for many many years...Jaggalo J/K man.

JustRace
01-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Get a girlfriend.:D

Sorry I couldn't resist.

400exJOE
01-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Since when is Ben gay???;) I thought he had a girl friend. Anyways, "ben gay" and Icy Hot would both probably help. All they do is give your body a sensation that its cold and therefore increases your blood flow to the area where you applied it. Don't try it in any 'sensetive skin areas' though.:D

400exJOE
01-29-2002, 01:39 PM
damn, all 3 of us were writing that at the same time! I wanted to be the first with the joke.:p

TrengaBlaster3
01-29-2002, 02:04 PM
im wit 400ex21, nail polish does the trick. the chick wins the race at the end so it must work. i have yet to try it but im thinking ill have my trophy girl hook me up this summer.

Juggalo
01-29-2002, 03:22 PM
lol :p

JabberJaw
01-29-2002, 06:49 PM
I saw a pump the other day, you can exercise your arm at the same time you enlarge your johnson!!!

Tommy 17
01-29-2002, 08:34 PM
is that why ur wife loves u so much jabber... haha

beerock
01-29-2002, 09:18 PM
my hands are aching form this weekend right now.

both of my pointer fngers have trigger finger symptoms. :(

305exracer11
01-31-2002, 01:03 PM
buy a denton or pep steering damper it helps alot

barbwire44
01-31-2002, 02:29 PM
I explained the arm pump thing to an experienced racer and he said theres an easy solution to youre problem ,...sell youre honda and buy a yamaha and the problems will disappear, because you don't have to hold on as tight.....lol!:devil

01-31-2002, 02:30 PM
Now that's funny,,,LMAO...:D :D :D

400exJOE
01-31-2002, 03:16 PM
is that because the yamahas dont go as fast as hondas or because they are broken half the time anyways so you have nothing to ride. Just kiddin around.:devil

250rmike
02-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I use aluminum bars a steering dampener some good frt. shocks and i use oury grips. I really like the grips because they are thick and comfortable and reduce vibration. Also heat will increase the blood flow not cold. Cold reduces blood flow thats why you do it hwen you hurt a joint or something to control the swelling. Just thought i would put in my 2cents

barbwire44
02-04-2002, 01:00 PM
I just ordered a new item called the thumbthing, has anyone ever tried this?..I'm gonna so i'll let you know if it works. They claim it will keep ya from getting cramps in you're thumb and wrist.

400exRacerX
02-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Well I went riding this weekend and it was my first time out since November. Man I can't tell you how sore I am, I haven't realized how far out of shape I was until Sunday. My fingers and thumb ache with pain, I have one huge blister on the side of my right index finger from rubbing against the throttle housing, my backs is sore and so are my arms. Man I need to start training now and get ready for this up coming season!