PDA

View Full Version : Southwick setups?

trx400ex
08-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Hey, i have raced on sandy loam tracks but i think southwick may be a little more sandy, just wanted to know what special setups you guys are running and what tires i should buy for southwick. Im gonna run up there for the national, I was watching the DB Natl on TV and i only saw a couple jumps so i assume a soft suspension setup would be better?

400exBro
08-27-2003, 10:38 AM
use taller, aggressive tires...

with 18's in the back and 20 or 19 up front you might run into a problem of getting stuck in a rut... i usually go with taller tire for sandy mx tracks... and a good air filter is a wise idea...

Sick0
08-27-2003, 01:55 PM
I have been running 18"/19" combo with little problem. But I have ran 20/21 too with good results. It kinda depends on the rain. Lat time the whoops and ruts weren't that bad because it rain all night. but I think if its really dry that weekend you may want a liitle bigger set up. You do want alittle softer set up at southwick.

EX 80
08-27-2003, 03:06 PM
nahh, you don't need bigger tires unless it rains. Run 18's in rear 20's in front. You will only get stuck if you have a swing arm skid plate, and if you slow down. Just keep it pinned and don't go on a high rut and you will be all set.

trx400ex
08-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Holeshot MXR rears and MX fronts sound ok? I cant wait do you guys suggest getting there early and practicing on Friday or would it be okay not too? Its a long drive and I want to miss the least amount of class I can. I dont know if theres a sections a=id have to practice or not.. Thanks for the help

EX 80
08-28-2003, 05:23 AM
I use Razars up front, and MXR's in rear or Razars. Depends how worn my MXR's are.

As far as practicing for certain sections. Just practice in the roughest track you can ride at. Jump are nothing big uless they make them bigger for nationals.

I am going there thursday night after work. I know the pits will be very crowded.

400ex#18
08-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
I have been running 18"/19" combo with little problem. But I have ran 20/21 too with good results. It kinda depends on the rain. Lat time the whoops and ruts weren't that bad because it rain all night. but I think if its really dry that weekend you may want a liitle bigger set up. You do want alittle softer set up at southwick.

I am with him on the tire situation, but if you are going to run mxr's make sure you dont' ware the down much before the race, because you won't get a whole lot of traction...The suspention, i wouldn't know about, i am always bad with that sh**....

NTPRacing#19
08-29-2003, 03:27 PM
all i can say is be ready. cause no matter how you got your suspension set up it will still kick your ***** if you arnt in shape!!!!
tires, ive ran 18 inch turfs in the rear and 19 itp mxs up front with good results. just be smarter than the other riders and pick smoother lines and youll be the faster one and longer last one of the bunch

trx400ex
08-30-2003, 03:26 AM
Yeah ive never worked out before, but i have started about 2 weeks ago for this race, i think ill be in good enough shape to atleast hangon for the last lap:p , Also what is the start, concrete? Ive only started on dirt.

NTPRacing#19
08-30-2003, 03:40 AM
its concrete

EX 80
08-30-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Yeah ive never worked out before, but i have started about 2 weeks ago for this race, i think ill be in good enough shape to atleast hangon for the last lap:p , Also what is the start, concrete? Ive only started on dirt.

What class are you racing? Same question for any one else reading this and racing.

trx400ex
08-30-2003, 08:24 AM
I dont know, my friend who races pro am and is first in 16-24 said to race production, Im not very good, first and last national i ever raced was in may at LTM, i raced 4 stroke c and if i didnt have motor trouble i probably would have placed upper mid pack so either C or maybe B but i dont know for sure

INFANTRY RACING
08-31-2003, 03:52 AM
run 4-stroke C. Theres some good riders in production.

I also asume that your friends Kilint Anderson. That guys fast.

trx400ex
08-31-2003, 06:11 AM
Yeah he is nuts, i am probably racing 4 stroke c but also thinking about B I really want to run B next year too anyone else racing there?

INFANTRY RACING
08-31-2003, 12:51 PM
has reed been running any. I haven't seen him at many local races this year.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 12:40 PM
i will be racing 4 stroke c, i always get my ***** kicked, but i never had time to practice inbetween work...this time will be a little different...i will have all new tires front and back, and i have rode 3 times, since the last race, so far, and going again tomorrow...i am feeling strong, and i think i will actually hang on for that race for a change!!

trx400ex
09-01-2003, 01:06 PM
No Toby is moving to Florida in a couple days, hes going to AMI.

I want to run B but i suck in the sand i dont know why but i do better on dirt for some reason

Have you ever raced a national 400ex18?

Sick0
09-01-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm not having hang on to the 400 now. :D

EX 80
09-10-2003, 03:12 PM
http://www.neatv-mx.com/docs/03NationalSW.htm

400ex#18
09-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Have you ever raced a national 400ex18?

No i have never races a national, this is my first year racing actually! :ermm: But i plan on racing for many more years though!:D Why?

Lasher
09-12-2003, 08:38 AM
I will be there to attempt to qualify for the 30+ class. I have a feeling that that weekend will be a zoo. On a normal Southwick race, NEATV has about 300 riders. Now with the nationals, I have no idea how many will show up. Heck, the 30+ class has to qualify on a normal race day.

How many laps are run at the national? Normal races at Southwick are 4 laps.

As for set up? I run 18 inch Razrs on the rear and 19 inch Holeshots on the front. And absolutely no swingarm skid plate. Half way thru the day, your chain and rotor will be buried in the sand from the ruts. And never let off the throttle, or you will get highsided.

I have raced Southwick for the last 4-5 years. If you want to get ready for Southwick do the following:

1) Grab a handful of sand, put it in your mouth and chew. The bumps will make your mouth stay open and sand will get in. Get used to it.

2) Jump up and down while some one tries to push you over. At the same time have a pair of handlebars in your hand with a 15 lbs hanging off it. Also have a spring pushing your thumb.

3) Unless you are Doug Gust, starting any workout now will not help. The track will leave you drooling on yourself from the whoops.

Basically, you just nail the throttle and hope that you can hang on. The slower you go, the worse the bumps are.

In the morning the track is smooth and really fast. Jumps are doable and quite fun.

By the end of the practice, lines have formed and a few whoops. The jumps are still pretty good.

By halfway thru the day, the initial lines are too deep to ride thru and the whoops are like doubles, but not ones that you could jump. The jumps have lips, but with some speed you can still jump them. But be prepared to correct in the air.

By the end of the day, all the lines are deep, the whoops will swallow you whole and you will be begging for the white flag lap, even after the first lap! Jumps become a mound of whoops.

Welcome to Southwick. A beach without an ocean.

ridered86
09-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Lasher

Welcome to Southwick. A beach without an ocean.

hell yeah, i dont know if i can make it but if i dont i will def see u in october.

Lasher
09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
What a way to end the season. Two "full weekend" racing at Southwick.

Both should be great race weekends.