PDA

View Full Version : Atv Builders/mechanics

JJWB023
08-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Did u ppl that build the atvs and fix them go to a school or learn by watchin?jw

K_Fulk
08-26-2003, 01:40 PM
Self taught, just got to try stuff on your own. I still wont think about taking apart a motor though. Everything else is not a problem.

Guy400
08-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JJWB023
Did u ppl that build the atvs and fix them go to a school or learn by watchin?jw My dad was an old hot-rodder and when I was 9 he bought his last Chevelle. He did 100% of the work himself (except for the rear tubs which a friend of ours made and the paint work). From the time I was 9 years old until I got my license at 16 I worked with him at the garage and at my dad's friend's machine shop. I then worked on Mark Thomas' IHRA Alcohol Funny Car crew during his 3rd World Championship season. After that he started making bigger money and the car is now kept down south and a paid professional pit crew now does the work. Now I build my own engines for my own cars. The 6 biggest ways to learn are this: watch, learn, bloody knuckles, bloody knuckles, bloody knuckles and experience.

nuclearkielbasa
08-26-2003, 02:03 PM
There are two types of people........ people who are born with mechanical ability and those who aren't. All the schools and training in the world won't make you a mechanic.

Guy is right. Experience and bloody knuckles are what makes a good mechanic. There are a million "book smart" mechanics out there, but when push comes to shove, they usually can't hack it!

GNCC#829
08-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Self taught, just got to try stuff on your own. I still wont think about taking apart a motor though. Everything else is not a problem.
^^ I am the same way.
The only time that I use my manuel anymore is for torque specs or if I can't remember how to put something back together.

08-26-2003, 02:15 PM
workin on quads came second nature to me ..
I have either built or helped build dragsters & street rods ,.etc
( as a child w/my father ) to show cars//trucks
( my own as an adult )
so mechanics is not real hard for me & I like building machines
that look nice when there done .
BTW,Manuals are a very use ful tool .. ;) ,the smart mechanic knows when to open them up :D

hondafox440
08-26-2003, 02:25 PM
I learned some by watching and helping my father. I did alot of research on my own also, just reading tons and tons of forums and articles and did a lot of thinking and going over things in my head. Then I just went out and tried things by myself and if I just couldn't get it working, I would ask my dad for help. I've only been into offroading for about 4 years, but I have learned a great deal.

nakomis0
08-26-2003, 03:52 PM
I've always been mechanically inclined. Did basic repairs on cars when I was younger. And a background in electronics.... not like that helps.

But basically just research, then do it. Being able to read at a third grade level really seems to help too.:confused2 :p

I just buy a manual and do it. Sure I've made a few mistakes, I put a piston in backwards once.:huh ..broke my share of bolts....but those mistakes should teach you alot. Just take ur time and be carefull.

Martin Blair
08-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Im only 15 all self taught and when ever we go riding i always get complaments on how much i know alot of guys think o your a kid you dont no ****, but when i can tell them exaclty what the problem is it shuts them up quick, just do your own work, if you got a manual its not hard, i can do everything without one know, i no the torque specs for damn near every bolt on my 400.

mx400
08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
well right now in honda atvs im just book smart. ask me pretty much anything about a honda car or chevy SB i can answer it. mostly hondas though. i was big import tech around here for awhile. only one who would swap H22s in 88-91 hbs and crxs. very fun to do actually.

skemp
08-26-2003, 08:19 PM
I don't go to get my degree as a motorsports technician until springtime, but I already know my fair share. What has helped me is an undying love for what I do. Everything about quads interests me a great deal, and that is one of the best things you can have to point you in the right direction. It just feels right to have a wrench in my hand, and dirt in my teeth, so wrenching and riding just goes together for me. I always try to help people out on the forums when I have time, and plan to do the same when I have my own business. I do not want to build a reputation off of advertising, I would rather be known for my integrity and knowledge. I have chosen this as a career because it is what I love, and it will be enjoyable for me. Happy riding. :)

markeg192
08-28-2003, 02:52 PM
If it's broke I fix it......If it works I take it apart and find out how

F-16Guy
08-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by nuclearkielbasa
Guy is right. Experience and bloody knuckles are what makes a good mechanic. There are a million "book smart" mechanics out there, but when push comes to shove, they usually can't hack it!
A-Men to that. I think I've left enough blood in these jets to fly to Iraq and back!!:D