PDA

View Full Version : molybdenum disulfide oil

cals400ex
08-26-2003, 12:42 PM
i am installing a hotcam and the directions say not to use an oil such as this with moly in it as it will make the clutch slip. however, my service manual says to use molybdenum disulfide oil on the cam. i don't want to just use 20w-50 since i won't be starting the bike right after it is installed. any suggestions.

wgbanks
08-26-2003, 02:41 PM
When you install a new cam you must use assembly lube on the lobes of the cam the bearing surfaces and the rocker seats so the everything gets plenty of lubrication during that initial start up and the break in period. That is what they are talking about. Go to Autozone, or your local autoparts store and get a $5.00 tube of assenbly lube and all will be well. Do not use synthetic oil during break in and you should be fine.

KAWSAM62
08-27-2003, 12:59 AM
hello if you go to napa they carry an assembly lube with that moly stuff in it, just read the back of the package, its in a tooth paste type tube sells for i think around 3.00 i just used it with no problems! DONT FORGET TO PUT IT ON ROCKERS THAT TOUCH THE CAM LOBES also!:D

08-27-2003, 02:50 AM
i would go with what the new cam (hot cam) says.

wgbanks
08-27-2003, 03:07 AM
That is what Hot Cams is refering to. It is an assembly lube. Napa, Autozone, Advance, Carquest they all care it, any auto parts store will have it. But the assembly lube is a must on the cam and rocker seats or they will trash thems selves during that initial start-up when no oil is gettin to them and during cam breakin.:)

cals400ex
08-27-2003, 04:46 AM
if i remember correctly, hotcam say NOT to use an oil with moly in it. the clymer service manual is the that says to use this oil. hotcam claims it might ruin the clutch.

wgbanks
08-27-2003, 05:16 AM
All you are doing is coating the friction surfaces of the cam lobes and the rocker pads where they ride the 2 piece rocker assembly and the cam lobes and also on the cam bearings. The lube comes in a tube that you can apply it directly to the necessary surfaces. This is not an oil supplement. If you do not coat those friction surfaces you will most likely ruin your new cam within moments of you first engine start. The choice is yours..... After a proper break in your going to change the oil... aren't you? So if you are worried about the teaspoon amout of assembly lube it will be gone with the oil change. Do you know any one in Staunton named Fey. I see you live near by.

anywhereEx
08-27-2003, 05:29 AM
All that I have used is regular clevite 77 assembly lube and have never had a single problem at all.

cals400ex
08-27-2003, 05:15 PM
i know some people just use 20w50 motor oil and their bikes run great. i will actually change the oil after the first 20 minutes of riding.

yes, i do know a few people by the last name of fey. who do you know from here?