PDA

View Full Version : 350x rear end and 400ex front end for 300ex

300expower
08-26-2003, 04:30 AM
hi,

its my first post on this site but i've ben reading you for months over. i'm from quebec, canada. i would like to know if a 350x swing arm wil fit with my bearing carrier and axle. if not i think i'll buy all the rear end off a 350x.

the second question is: i am gonna soon get the 400ex front end, with all the stuff like shock tie rod the 4 a-arms and i would like to know: does the brake line will be long enough? and does the spindles will fit?

and does anybody here knows the dimension of the mouting bracket? i would like if somebody could mesure it for me, and i think it could be godd for somebody else.

thanks.

p.s.: where do i hange my signature? i added some things since i wrote that.
400ex carb #142
kn power kit
motor skid plate
22 inch turf tamers (too big)
soon : 400ex front end and 350x rear end.

lil400exman
08-26-2003, 04:49 AM
ok i dont think the 350x conversion will work. At least i have never heard of it being done easily. 2nd the brakelines should strech enough it should work if not i got some stock lines that i will sell ya cheap.
3rd to change ur sig to to the top of the page claick on user cp then after u go to the next page click on edit profile and viola!:) welcome to the site man!

oynot400
08-26-2003, 05:30 AM
I helped a buddy do a 400ex conversion to his 250x along with a 350x swing arm. It was not that difficult. The brakes lines were long enough for the front, not for the rear though. What we did for the upper shock mounts was use a sawzall and cut the factory mounts and reweld them higher. It worked great! :D
Get ahold of quadcustoms, he hooked us up with a 350x rear end complete with carrier, axle and shock. It made that old 250x a lot more fun to ride. :cool:

300exOH
08-26-2003, 05:41 AM
You may have to use the 350x axle and carrier to make the 350x swingarm work. Not positive though. You can buy a shockmount bracket on eBay pretty cheap and it bolts directly with the 400ex stock shocks. Or you can forget the shockmount bracket and order custom length shocks(14.75"). The stock 300ex brakelines will fit in front and the spindles will bolt up perfectly. I do know you'll need a longer rear brake line. I'd try a search for "300ex with 400ex arms" to find the dimensions for the bracket if you want to try to make one. Good luck!

wilkin250r
08-26-2003, 12:51 PM
I always thought the bearing carrier on the 250X and 350X were the same.

Also, as far as I understand, the 350X axle would fit into the 250X bearing carrier, but the 350X is a little wider.

What's involved in switching the swingarms? I'm planning on doing a 250X/350X conversion over the winter, and it would be nice if I could increase the wheelbase a little. The 350X swingarm is 1.5 inches longer, right?

tprender
08-26-2003, 02:43 PM
About 5 years ago when I had a 250X I put a 350X rear end on my 250X. You will need the who 350 X rear end; shock, axle, carrier, rotor, etc. The bearing carriers are different. The bearing on the 350 were bad one day and I tried to put in the 250 and it did not fit. The only thing that you will need is some 1/2 in washers to put on the swingarm bolt to take up the space. Make sure that you get the chain and sprokets lined up straight fron to back, with the spacers(washers). The 350 rear shock will have a stifter spring compared to the 250 shock. You will also need to make a collar on the top shock bolt. If you have the collar and the washers you can do the conversion in 2-3 hours. If you have the right tools and are handy.
It did make the X handle a whole lot better. Longer swingarm and the wider axle made the difference. Best of luck.

300expower
08-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by tprender
About 5 years ago when I had a 250X I put a 350X rear end on my 250X. You will need the who 350 X rear end; shock, axle, carrier, rotor, etc. The bearing carriers are different. The bearing on the 350 were bad one day and I tried to put in the 250 and it did not fit. The only thing that you will need is some 1/2 in washers to put on the swingarm bolt to take up the space. Make sure that you get the chain and sprokets lined up straight fron to back, with the spacers(washers). The 350 rear shock will have a stifter spring compared to the 250 shock. You will also need to make a collar on the top shock bolt. If you have the collar and the washers you can do the conversion in 2-3 hours. If you have the right tools and are handy.
It did make the X handle a whole lot better. Longer swingarm and the wider axle made the difference. Best of luck.

so i cant put my 300ex shock on that? damn it's bad, and i cant put the rotor and sprocket too? damn it's even more bad. and the swing arm isnt bolt on to the frame, do i just need some washers? i could have somebody make me custom bushing for it, i think it would be the best guess. and what about the shock thing, i didnt understand it at all. but if the 300ex shock could just stay in there, even if i need to put washers on the bottom, i think ill do this.

tprender
08-27-2003, 01:35 AM
I think that the shocks are different lengths. The 350 shock is a better shock than the 300/250, has a rezzie. I think that the rotors are different sizes is why you need the 350 one. You might be able to use the whole brke system from the 250 maybe.
Just use the washers on the swingarm bolt to begin with, 0 to 1 on the left side and about 4-5 on the right side. The swingarm is a direct bolt one with the washers.

Kawboyz beware
08-27-2003, 08:53 AM
I have done the conversion on my Bike. The 400ex front end is a pretty much straight foward setup. I used a complete 400ex front end spindle to spindle. I found with this setup there is to much negative camber. But not to much of a problem. As for the rear you must use the 86 style sprocket and bolts or it will hit the carrier. I am Using the complete rear from a 350x. with the exception of the rear shock as this was way too stiff. I opted to go with the Raptor rear shock and Made a removabe bracket so I was able to mount the rear shock to the swingarm. This way I( was able to get a good rear shock, a 1 inch longer swingarm. compared to stock). I plan on making the front upper Ball joints adjustable This winter.