PDA

View Full Version : e-series install question

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 04:55 AM
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mart/400ex/

I've uploaded three pics above to give you some idea of what I'm up against.
This is a slip-on and my question is the spacer (pic3).
Can this be cut off to fit (pic1) or do I need to force the pipe over so that will fit ?
The bolt that came with the spacer is also the same lenth as the spacer so I may need to get a longer bolt ?

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

ride300exrider
08-25-2003, 04:57 AM
i put a e on my 300ex and im almost pos i had the same problem. u just have to force it to fit. at least thats what i think i did.
allmost positive.;)

UglyMotha™
08-25-2003, 05:37 AM
the spacer is supposed to be the same lenght as the bolt there is a threaded sleave that slides into the spacer from behind you should not cut anything to get it to fit you just have to muscle it into place and if you still can't get it into place go work out and just a little advice don't tighten anyting up until you have it all bolted up then go back and tighing both bolts and the clamps in the instructions they even recomend loosening the header bolts

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 05:50 AM
threaded sleeve ?
What purpose would that serve ?
Isn't this spacer supposed to fit in the gap (pic1) , run a bolt through the front and into the existing threads that are on the bracket the stock one was bolted on with ?

UglyMotha™
08-25-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Rick400ex
threaded sleeve ?
What purpose would that serve ?
Isn't this spacer supposed to fit in the gap (pic1) , run a bolt through the front and into the existing threads that are on the bracket the stock one was bolted on with ?

yes you use the stock bracket and if you notice the stock bracket is nothing mor than a punched plate with a threaded sleeve welded to it you put that where it originaly was only remove the rubber isolation gromet slide the spacer in there and and it slides right over top of the sleeve, are you not reading the instructions that came with it :huh

UglyMotha™
08-25-2003, 06:00 AM
i looked at the pics you have to remover the rubber gromet that is still in there pu the bolt in the lower mount but do not tighten it also leave the clamp loose and then push down on the rear of the silencer it will pivot on the lower mount and then you can put in the upper bolt

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
yes you use the stock bracket and if you notice the stock bracket is nothing mor than a punched plate with a threaded sleeve welded to it you put that where it originaly was only remove the rubber isolation gromet slide the spacer in there and and it slides right over top of the sleeve, are you not reading the instructions that came with it :huh

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes !!!!!!!!
NOW I understand ! Thanks a bunch !
The response time on this question blew me away. Must be a very high traffic here at exriders.com.

BTW....No instructions came with this . I bought it used because I'm cheap...LOL
Go figure......I buy a brand new 400ex and turn around and put all used parts on it :ermm:

UglyMotha™
08-25-2003, 06:21 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh yes !!!!!!!!
NOW I understand ! Thanks a bunch !

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 07:35 AM
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/mart/400ex/

Got er' done now (pics updated)
This pipe sure brings the neighbors out :devil:

Thanks again for the help,
Rick

UglyMotha™
08-25-2003, 08:14 AM
looks good, and i'm always glad to help only one more thing i would like to point out is that your endcap is upside down other than that good job

AtvMxRider
08-25-2003, 08:40 AM
only one more thing i would like to point out is that your endcap is upside down other than that good job

I was just going to say the same thing;) .

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 08:52 AM
looks good, and i'm always glad to help only one more thing i would like to point out is that your endcap is upside down other than that good job

Bwhahahahahaha...:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I didn't even notice that.:ermm:

Thanks for the heads up:D

Boy is my face red:ermm:

Woodsrider
08-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Nice looking machine, what did you end up re-jetting it to to accomidate the pipe?

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Nice looking machine, what did you end up re-jetting it to to accomidate the pipe?

Didn't have to jet at all. Runs great like it is.

Woodsrider
08-25-2003, 02:38 PM
Didn't have to jet at all. Runs great like it is.

:ermm: Do you know what jetting was in it when you bought the bike? It looks like your running 10+ discs there.

Rick400ex
08-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
:ermm: Do you know what jetting was in it when you bought the bike? It looks like your running 10+ discs there.

Bike is new so it's factory set.
Dunno what the 10+ disks do or don't do.
I know it runs great like this.
Is 10 disks too many ?