PDA

View Full Version : WR250 or WR450

oynot400
08-25-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey guys and gals, I have been real busy at work so my internet time was very slim.
I was doing to thinking and I am nearly decided to get rid of my quads and get a nice trail bike. I was thinking about the Yamaha's WR line up. I know what you are thinking, why not a Honda? Well I would love to have a Honda but I think I want a 4-stroke and the WR's come with electric start and lights. I have no real plans to race it so I don't want a YZ or CR. If Honda offered a XR450 like they do the 650 I would be interested. I am undecided if I want the 250 or the new 450. I was talking with some guys a while back and they really liked their WR250's for trail riding. They were light and easy to ride. My biggest concern is will the 250 be enough when we go to Black River and Oklahoma? I would think that the 450 would be better there.
Please let me know your thoughts. :)

CowsBitePeople
08-25-2003, 04:45 AM
how much more are you going to be at that place or be in the trails?If u ride trails alot more that id say the250 because no matter on what u ride you will be going the same speed but on a track and u want to go fast go with the 450....the 250's are plenty fast though plus alot lighter:)

86350x
08-25-2003, 05:01 AM
How tall are you, and how much do you weigh?

What kind of conditions do you ride in.

Do not buy the first year WR450. The woodruff key shears about every 100 miles, and will leave you stranded. If yamaha was smart, they would spline the crankshaft.

The 250 is a good bike unkorked, but if you wiegh over 180, you should get the bigger bike. I bought a new left-over 426 because of the 450 problems. Unkorked that bike rips, I love my 426, and it's gonna stay right here. You just have to get used to starting it. The bigger bike is really tall, taller then a 250 motocrosser. It's not a big deal while riding, just starting it.

I'm sure yamaha's second year 450 won't have the woodruff key problem.

Honda is comming out with an enduro version of the crf's this year. But I'd wait to make sure there are no bugs to be worked out on them.

oynot400
08-25-2003, 05:28 AM
I plan on riding it in the woods and trails, doing a few jumps on a track. :D We go to Wisconsin a couple times a year and Oklahoma once a year. There is always something coming up that we go to.
I run about 220 lbs and 6' tall. I ride my buddy's CR125 a little bit and it don't feel to bad. I wish I could ride one of each for a little while, that would help me make up my mind. I just don't want to buy the smaller bike then wish I had something bigger. Then again I don't want something that is too big either. Thanks for info on the 450.
I am just undecided at this point. Keep them coming guys!

08-25-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by oynot400
Hey guys and gals, I have been real busy at work so my internet time was very slim.
I was doing to thinking and I am nearly decided to get rid of my quads and get a nice trail bike. I was thinking about the Yamaha's WR line up. I know what you are thinking, why not a Honda? Well I would love to have a Honda but I think I want a 4-stroke and the WR's come with electric start and lights. I have no real plans to race it so I don't want a YZ or CR. If Honda offered a XR450 like they do the 650 I would be interested. I am undecided if I want the 250 or the new 450. I was talking with some guys a while back and they really liked their WR250's for trail riding. They were light and easy to ride. My biggest concern is will the 250 be enough when we go to Black River and Oklahoma? I would think that the 450 would be better there.
Please let me know your thoughts. :)

the 450 have problems with fly wheels sheering, id check that out before you made your decision

08-25-2003, 06:11 AM
I'd say get the ttr250 or even the XR400 and buy lights for it. the WR is for fast paced trail riding. the XR's and TTR's are for lugging but the xr400 would fly also. you cant go wrong with an XR, but the WR is light, has elec.start and lights, 5-valve titanium head, yz-like suspention, ect. im 240lbs and im 5'8, i wouldnt mind getting a CR, YZ 250, XR400, TTR250, ect.

im not sure how i would be on a 250 4stroke tho :eek:

have fun when the winter comes LOL!!!! its so hard, i need some spiked tires and a ski in the front :confused2

GOMER007
08-25-2003, 06:27 AM
go with a CRF450!:eek:

lil400exman
08-25-2003, 07:04 AM
this is experince from me riding in tight woods a 250 does better cause its more nimble and not as much raw power trying to control in the woods. they way i feel is u can always over-rev the bike to do what u want it to do but with a bigger 4 stroke its hard to do this is me coming from super tight west virgina trails and haspin acres hills i like a bike i feel like a can almost dominate i dont like a bike where your barely in control so ride both and make ur descision.......and rember the uncorked 250 kills 125's......... it rides liek a geared low 250............:D