PDA

View Full Version : 400ex shocks work on a z400?

jbfoco
08-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Will 400ex shocks work on a z400?

I have a z400 and i am looking for a used set of shocks, there are a bunch for a 400ex and very few used for a z400.

So anyone know if they will work?

Thanks for your time?

Team Outlaw #34
08-24-2003, 06:00 PM
I asked the same question but was opposite....they said that it wasn't a good idea....did you see the tcs rear and front shocks on ebay?

they are like brand new.... go to www.ebay.com and put in TCS shocks and it will come up....

Juggalo
08-25-2003, 01:28 PM
yes 400ex shocks WILL work on a Z but they are ultra soft. not a good idea. Z shocks won't work on the EX.

4TraxRider
08-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Mine worked on my EX:huh:confused:

Woodsrider
08-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
yes 400ex shocks WILL work on a Z but they are ultra soft. not a good idea. Z shocks won't work on the EX.

HUH? there the same shock!:huh please explain why it works one way but not the other. I know it isnt a fitment issue, and the quads are basically the same weight, so what gives here?

Juggalo
08-25-2003, 05:52 PM
there is a fittage issue actually. the Z400 shocks use a top mount thingy (sorry for the techincal terms lol) that is thicker than the one on the EX shock. therefore since the shock is wider on the Z the upper shock mount is also wider to accomidate it. since the EX shock is skinnier it will fit into the fatter opening of the Z shock mount. the Z with its fatter shock on top won't fit into the skinnier shock mount of the EX. you can always fit something smaller into something bigger but you can't fit something bigger into something smaller. if you get what i mean. also your right both quads do weigh similar amounts but that doesn't matter because the leverage ratios are different on the Z and the EX. thats why the EX shocks are so soft on the Z. how do i know this? well i tried it. my friend was gonna buy my works for his Z, he put em on and they were soft. i tried putting his stock X shocks on my EX and they would not go on without some pounding with a hammer and a ton of fighting. i did eventually get them lined up pretty good but they sucked. they were so stiff that my front end sat up really high like i had a ton of preload. i was more than happy to go back to my works.

Braff1
08-25-2003, 07:51 PM
It will drop the front end about 1.5-2 iches. They are a softer.

Woodsrider
08-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
there is a fittage issue actually. the Z400 shocks use a top mount thingy (sorry for the techincal terms lol) that is thicker than the one on the EX shock. therefore since the shock is wider on the Z the upper shock mount is also wider to accomidate it. since the EX shock is skinnier it will fit into the fatter opening of the Z shock mount. the Z with its fatter shock on top won't fit into the skinnier shock mount of the EX. you can always fit something smaller into something bigger but you can't fit something bigger into something smaller. if you get what i mean. also your right both quads do weigh similar amounts but that doesn't matter because the leverage ratios are different on the Z and the EX. thats why the EX shocks are so soft on the Z. how do i know this? well i tried it. my friend was gonna buy my works for his Z, he put em on and they were soft. i tried putting his stock X shocks on my EX and they would not go on without some pounding with a hammer and a ton of fighting. i did eventually get them lined up pretty good but they sucked. they were so stiff that my front end sat up really high like i had a ton of preload. i was more than happy to go back to my works.

Thanks Juggalo that is good to know. I always just thought they were exactly the same:o

Juggalo
08-26-2003, 04:50 PM
happy to help :)