PDA

View Full Version : racers......knee problems??????

QuadJunkies
08-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Im not sure how to address this ,but...... Ive noticed ALOT lately my knees are REALLY starting to hurt when I ride. For example, when I took my duning trip this summer a little more an more every day my knees would hurt,I didint think too much of it considering we put in close to 32 hours in four days of riding....:o However, the last few times Ive went riding even for short periods of time, my knees are killin me:( . I went out and rode the flattrack to practice up for a debut race in a few eeks.I praticed for about 1-1/2 hours and I could hardly walk back to my car:eek2: .By the time I got home , I swear I was going to have to crawl up my stairs to get up them from the pain.....:grr: Ive never known my self to have knee problems of any kind.....Any ideas what to help ????Im open for any ideas, cuase there is NO WAY im not going to race this fall/winter.......Thanks!...Tina :)

TheRedRebel17
08-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Im not sure how to address this ,but...... Ive noticed ALOT lately my knees are REALLY starting to hurt when I ride. For example, when I took my duning trip this summer a little more an more every day my knees would hurt,I didint think too much of it considering we put in close to 32 hours in four days of riding....:o However, the last few times Ive went riding even for short periods of time, my knees are killin me:( . I went out and rode the flattrack to practice up for a debut race in a few eeks.I praticed for about 1-1/2 hours and I could hardly walk back to my car:eek2: .By the time I got home , I swear I was going to have to crawl up my stairs to get up them from the pain.....:grr: Ive never known my self to have knee problems of any kind.....Any ideas what to help ????Im open for any ideas, cuase there is NO WAY im not going to race this fall/winter.......Thanks!...Tina :)

When i used to ride my bike and race my knees would hurt alot. I just put ICE on them when i got home:ermm: They never were as bad as your though. They sill hurt all the time though :(

QuadJunkies
08-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
When i used to ride my bike and race my knees would hurt alot. I just put ICE on them when i got home:ermm: They never were as bad as your though. They sill hurt all the time though :( whew.Glad yo hear someone else with this problem... They got so bad I thought my knees were gonn buckle from under me for awhile after getting off my quad.Is there an excersie good for this maybe to strenthen them???Im totally clueless on this.....Thanks for the reply!

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-24-2003, 04:42 PM
only prob i got is they tend to smack into the tank/side and get sore from that, but i dont feel its a big deal.

250rmike
08-24-2003, 04:52 PM
hard floors can do that to knees just try using some carpet a pillow or a rug.:eek:

j/p accually try to get some knee braces and see if that will help

QuadJunkies
08-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
hard floors can do that to knees just try using some carpet a pillow or a rug.:eek:

j/p accually try to get some knee braces and see if that will help :eek: :o :p . hahah I should have seen that one comin!!! are all knew braces alot alike?? the part of my knee that hurts is directly below the knee cap then ther is a space in the knee then it goes to bone,that is where the pain is....

TheRedRebel17
08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
:eek: :o :p . hahah I should have seen that one comin!!! are all knew braces alot alike?? the part of my knee that hurts is directly below the knee cap then ther is a space in the knee then it goes to bone,that is where the pain is....

Thats where part of mien hurt too..that and on the back on my leg rigth at that spot..its been 2 years since i raced too, and they are finallly gettign better:(

tprender
08-25-2003, 01:20 AM
I have had 3 operations on my left knee and there are 2 big screws holding together the bone just below the knee from a wreck. I went an got a kneww brace out of the Parts Unlimited book. I got the EVS one and have not had a problem riding since. Also, I use a rubber knee tube that you can get at any store sometimes when working. There is also some pills to take that will make the knee stronger. Glucosamine Chondroitin is the name of it. I get them at Sam's and to beginwith take 3 a day for about a month and then 1 or 2 every day after that. It will take about 2 or 3 weeks before you will notice a change. This is what I do and I am not even supposed to be walking after my first wreck, but I am still racing some now.

seven
08-25-2003, 02:50 AM
A knee brace isnt going to help you that much.You know I wear one and it is a CTI2. It cost 1400$ new and i still get sore.What happens is when you ride for a couple of hours its like walking all day. The menicus gets bruised and sore. When you are younger you dont have this problem as much becouse there is a lot more meniscus there. The older you get wheres it down. It does not grow back either. Thats why you have full knee replacement. Best cure if you are going to keep riding is BETTER SUSPENSION!:D

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by seven
A knee brace isnt going to help you that much.You know I wear one and it is a CTI2. It cost 1400$ new and i still get sore.What happens is when you ride for a couple of hours its like walking all day. The menicus gets bruised and sore. When you are younger you dont have this problem as much becouse there is a lot more meniscus there. The older you get wheres it down. It does not grow back either. Thats why you have full knee replacement. Best cure if you are going to keep riding is BETTER SUSPENSION!:D Paul, you really think alot has to do with my suspension???? Even on the flattrack??? My wrist hurt something fierce after riding the sand at Weiser and thought maybe a dampener would help that a bit, but wow not much to fix the ole knees huh.:( sigh...............aging sucks............

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by tprender
I have had 3 operations on my left knee and there are 2 big screws holding together the bone just below the knee from a wreck. I went an got a kneww brace out of the Parts Unlimited book. I got the EVS one and have not had a problem riding since. Also, I use a rubber knee tube that you can get at any store sometimes when working. There is also some pills to take that will make the knee stronger. Glucosamine Chondroitin is the name of it. I get them at Sam's and to beginwith take 3 a day for about a month and then 1 or 2 every day after that. It will take about 2 or 3 weeks before you will notice a change. This is what I do and I am not even supposed to be walking after my first wreck, but I am still racing some now. Dang!!!!! Sounds like you had your share of pain!!!:eek2: Thanks for the advice, Ill give it a try I know when Troy tore his rotary cap when he got thorw off his quad, he took Glucosamine Chondriotin and it helped him some.:)

bsb64
08-25-2003, 03:58 AM
Do half squats with light weight on a bar on your shoulders. I have suffered from knee problems after too many years playing hockey. By doing half squats you increase the muscle mass around the joint, thus stabalizing it. Of course your gonna need to buy a squat rack or join a gym. And.......go easy, be careful, keep your back straight. Also, you'd probably do well to get your hubby to spot you till you get used to the exercise. Remeber, most conventional remedys(drugs, ice, knee braces) are only going to help the problem temporarily. By strengthening you knee joints you are seeking a long term solution.

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by bsb64
Do half squats with light weight on a bar on your shoulders. I have suffered from knee problems after too many years playing hockey. By doing half squats you increase the muscle mass around the joint, thus stabalizing it. Of course your gonna need to buy a squat rack or join a gym. And.......go easy, be careful, keep your back straight. Also, you'd probably do well to get your hubby to spot you till you get used to the exercise. Remeber, most conventional remedys(drugs, ice, knee braces) are only going to help the problem temporarily. By strengthening you knee joints you are seeking a long term solution. I have a membership to Golds, so I can use the equipment there.:) I do believe in Glucosamine too though,my pharmisist reccomended it to help with joint pain and its a herbal solution maybe I could try the two combined.So ........this is a common thing with the knees I take it????I just wish I knew why it started so quickly this year.....:confused:

250rmike
08-25-2003, 04:33 AM
yea sorry qj i had to do it i have had the same problem(im only 17)it doesnt happen when i ride it is when i do squats which i have stoped doing cause i just cant do it anymore cause it hurts so bad

cody anderson
08-25-2003, 04:40 AM
my right knee pops out at the joint when I walk some times, not at the hip but at the leg. Its like it just comes apart then I have to step on the groung and twist, it pops, then I jsut keep walking. It doesn't really hurt, but I do know I have torn and wrecked cartalige and ligaments in it. Darn motocross, it'll get you everytime...:confused2

CowsBitePeople
08-25-2003, 04:54 AM
when i ride my knees are fine bt when i kneel down or something i cant get back up....or if i bend my knees and then unbend them thay make a cracking sound like walking in gravel kinda then pop

300exOH
08-25-2003, 05:18 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with major knee probs. Messed ine up years ago on a BMX. I found that my Works shocks did help big time over my stock suspension. With my stockers I couldn't take jumping. Now I do small jumps quite a bit with very little problems. That piece of advice about doing squats is a good one. I'd be careful about the herbal thing. I hear there are interactions with other drugs and they aren't required to have FDA approval so who know what could be in them.

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I'm glad I'm not the only one with major knee probs. Messed ine up years ago on a BMX. I found that my Works shocks did help big time over my stock suspension. With my stockers I couldn't take jumping. Now I do small jumps quite a bit with very little problems. That piece of advice about doing squats is a good one. I'd be careful about the herbal thing. I hear there are interactions with other drugs and they aren't required to have FDA approval so who know what could be in them. Yes, your right about ALOT of herbals on the market, but Glucosamine is a safe one to take. Alot of Dr.'s wont reccomend hebs since they are not FDA approved, but Glucosamine is one a Dr. will reccomend. So can squats be BAD to do? I mean, Im sure they have good benefits to strenthening, but I work with poeple who do alot of squating in there job position and two had knee surgeries due to too much squatting????:huh

Narly R
08-25-2003, 05:40 AM
Man I know how you all feel, I can ber;ly sit in my chair and type caus eof a pulled muscle in my back, and when I sneeze OMG it hurts soo bad! But take those pills that will help build cartledge or whatever cause the doctor told be to do that too, some Chiropractors work on knees I tyhink try goin to one of them, hope you feel better cause it really sucks to not be able to ride cause of an injury!:(

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 05:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Narly R
[B]hope you feel better cause it really sucks to not be able to ride cause of an injury! Thanks .......same to you!!!!!Come hell or high water..........Im still gonna ride......
.:p :macho

Narly R
08-25-2003, 05:49 AM
lol ya thats how I am too, sometimes I HAVE to take a brake casue I can berly walk but it dont slow me down!:D

seven
08-25-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson
my right knee pops out at the joint when I walk some times, not at the hip but at the leg. Its like it just comes apart then I have to step on the groung and twist, it pops, then I jsut keep walking. It doesn't really hurt, but I do know I have torn and wrecked cartalige and ligaments in it. Darn motocross, it'll get you everytime...:confused2
You have a torn acl. If you dont get it fixed you could be in a world of hurt later.

cody anderson
08-25-2003, 06:03 AM
OK TERRIFIC...:ermm:

wilkin250r
08-25-2003, 06:16 AM
QJ, you should seriously think about talking to a physical therapist about your knees, and possible exercises to strengthen your knees.

Riding a quad puts alot of stress on your knees, especially motocross, but even flattrack with have a big impact. Your suspension plays a key factor. There is always a certain amount of force related to riding. The more force your suspension absorbs, the less force your knees need to absorb.

If you are having problems, I seriously suggest two major investments. The first is a visit with a good physical therapist, and the second is better suspension.

hondafox440
08-25-2003, 06:18 AM
I sprained my knee last Monday in football, but continued to play on it for 4 hours a day untill I got it checked Friday. The doctor said it was just sprained, but I talked to the team trainer today and she thinks it may be tendonitis, so I need to strengthen that knee. She said to do leg curls/raises (sit in a chair and raise your lower leg up only bending at the knee so your leg is straight. Most gyms have a machine for this), and do roman chairs (sitting against the wall like you are in a chair, but theres no chair there, and your knees are at a 90 degree angle to yout thighs, and your back is straight and flat against the wall), and one where you lie on your back, bend one leg up and put the foot flat, then lock the other knee and lift the entire leg (only bending at the hip) so that your ankle is higher than the opposite knee. Do one set of 10 reps with your toe pointing up, then another set of 10 with your toe pointing outwards.

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
QJ, you should seriously think about talking to a physical therapist about your knees, and possible exercises to strengthen your knees.

Riding a quad puts alot of stress on your knees, especially motocross, but even flattrack with have a big impact. Your suspension plays a key factor. There is always a certain amount of force related to riding. The more force your suspension absorbs, the less force your knees need to absorb.

If you are having problems, I seriously suggest two major investments. The first is a visit with a good physical therapist, and the second is better suspension. I think your right......;) I did notice the knee that hurts the most is the one I lean into on in the corners and apply most body weight to. I cant be getting any shocks this season unfortunalty.maybe in the spring.....

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I sprained my knee last Monday in football, but continued to play on it for 4 hours a day untill I got it checked Friday. The doctor said it was just sprained, but I talked to the team trainer today and she thinks it may be tendonitis, so I need to strengthen that knee. She said to do leg curls/raises (sit in a chair and raise your lower leg up only bending at the knee so your leg is straight. Most gyms have a machine for this), and do roman chairs (sitting against the wall like you are in a chair, but theres no chair there, and your knees are at a 90 degree angle to yout thighs, and your back is straight and flat against the wall), and one where you lie on your back, bend one leg up and put the foot flat, then lock the other knee and lift the entire leg (only bending at the hip) so that your ankle is higher than the opposite knee. Do one set of 10 reps with your toe pointing up, then another set of 10 with your toe pointing outwards. Im very familiar with tendonitis, I have it in Both hands along with carpal tunnel.....sheesh the more I think about it. the mosre I DO think I need a few new mods to my quad:confused2 .I dont ride as hard as some guys do so I figured upgraded suspention wuld be sorta a waste for me...Maybe not quite so true anymore. I do feel impact when riding ALOT more than I did a year ago....

tprender
08-25-2003, 06:58 AM
If you do take the pills, get the one that has both of them together from I have been told.

seven
08-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Tell trot to get a second job! He is just laying around the house from 1:00 on. He could have new shocks under you in no time.:cool:

seven
08-25-2003, 07:03 AM
Craig let me use his Raptor tcs shocks and they are awsome. They are a little harsh when you are going slow but they are hte smoothest shocks i have got to ride when you have the gas on.

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Tell trot to get a second job! He is just laying around the house from 1:00 on. He could have new shocks under you in no time.:cool: hahah yeah he dont need his 4 hours of sleep a day does he...:eek: :o :p Hey, will you be home this wk end.? I need to have you look at my sway bar up next to my 400ex and tell me what you think on it fittin right.....

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Craig let me use his Raptor tcs shocks and they are awsome. They are a little harsh when you are going slow but they are hte smoothest shocks i have got to ride when you have the gas on. I think Shane has TCS as well and he likes his too.... but his isnt running as well as they should be I think he told me....

seven
08-25-2003, 07:21 AM
hahah yeah he dont need his 4 hours of sleep a day does he...:eek: :o :p Hey, will you be home this wk end.? I need to have you look at my sway bar up next to my 400ex and tell me what you think on it fittin right.....
I should be home this weekend. If you want you can shoot me a pic over.

AZblaster44
08-25-2003, 02:09 PM
I have no ACL in my right knee and it doesn't seem to be any different then normal:confused:

08-25-2003, 02:13 PM
I had to have my left knee operated on last year ...& this winter prolly gonna do my right one :confused2

Braff1
08-25-2003, 02:41 PM
QJ, it sounds like you might have tendonitis in your knees and the riding is agrevatint it. A knee brace will help offer support for the knee. NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs) will help most with the inflamation (Motrin/ibuprofen 600-800 mg every 8 hours with food, Alieve/naproxin 2 tablets every 8-12 hours) Be sure to take these with food since they will upset your stomach.

Also look for Glucosamine with the Chondroitin. The docs around here believe by using the two togather you get better results.

I usually take about 800 mg before riding. The jumps and bumps really get my knees a hurting. To me it is more the jarring and the bracing with my knees from going forward (if that makes any since) that is really bad.

anyway hope this helps.

mx400
08-25-2003, 03:20 PM
i just put icy hot on my knees after every race and i sometimes were braces. the braces help when i race for a long time but otherwise they dont do jack. icy hot always does the trick 4 me

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Lots of good advice .Thanks everyone!!!!;)

AZblaster44
08-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Icy hot works great, just don't get it on certain places:eek2: :confused2

hondafox440
08-26-2003, 04:15 AM
I put icy hot on my knee yesterday and noticed no difference.. It didnt even get icy or hot.. :ermm:

spincr4hire
08-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Yep, my knees hurt a lot more lately, I can't hardly play basketball anymore. Of course, just turning 31 doesn't help either.:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by AZblaster44
Icy hot works great, just don't get it on certain places:eek2: :confused2 Oh.......:eek: and how would you know this........hmmmmmmm???????:o ;) got it in my eye once.....

spincr4hire
08-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Oh.......:eek: and how would you know this........hmmmmmmm???????:o ;) got it in my eye once.....

got what in your eye...the icy hot? J/K;)

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
got what in your eye...the icy hot? J/K;) YUP.....:o :p LOL....

Braff1
08-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by AZblaster44
Icy hot works great, just don't get it on certain places:eek2: :confused2

Yea be careful with that stuff. In High school I pulled my groin muscle and tried some good ole Icey hot and it got on my cohonas...:eek: That stuff don't just rub off let me tell you now.

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
Yea be careful with that stuff. In High school I pulled my groin muscle and tried some good ole Icey hot and it got on my cohonas...:eek: That stuff don't just rub off let me tell you now. OuchyWOW,WOW!!!!!!:eek: :eek2:

spincr4hire
08-26-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
Yea be careful with that stuff. In High school I pulled my groin muscle and tried some good ole Icey hot and it got on my cohonas...:eek: That stuff don't just rub off let me tell you now.

You just got to keep rubbing until it feels better, and you feel like a nap..:eek:

AtvMxRider
08-26-2003, 08:57 AM
;) got it in my eye once.....

LMAO I bet you did.......:devil: ;)

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
LMAO I bet you did.......:devil: ;) :eek: :o

FourFiftyFour
08-26-2003, 10:32 PM
ive really only had problems with injuring my wrists when i ride... if i case a jump or somethin i tend to hurt my wrists easily.. so i started wrappin my wrists and takin care that i always put them on before i ride..... u might wanna go to the dr and just make sure nothin is injured or torn on your knees... my mom tore a ligament and stuff and hurt her knee bad and it was a 9 month recovery period after her surgery..... so make sure u take care of your knees.... knee braces would help somewhat cuz repeated bruising your knees (from grippin the plastic... it tends to give me some good bruises) should not be too good for your knees either.....

Bad Habit
08-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
repeated bruising your knees (from grippin the plastic...

Uh, hehe..............oh, nevermind. I'd better not.:devil: