PDA

View Full Version : Wanna think it's the clutch, but not sure.

cheetah
08-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Well I have yet another problem.:mad: I was riding today and all of a sudden my clutch starts slipping real bad. From the time it started to about 40 feet it stopped. You could rev the bike in gear and go nowhere. The gears didn't even catch a bit. First gear was like nuetral. I had to tow it back. I wanna think clutch, but I just installed a new Barnett last month and I've barely ridden it. The way it's acting though I want to think something else. Even if the clutch is bad, it should still catch in gear right? Also I notice that it won't downshift unless I let the clutch out in between each gear. What do you think?

Big - D Racing
08-24-2003, 04:33 PM
I never ran a barnett clutch and the reason why is because i've heard from many people who have ran them that they burn up real quick and are garabage. One friend burnt his to nothing in one moto. So it probally is the clutch. Get rid of it and put in the Curtis sparks 8 plate set for $140 or put new stock 400ex fibers, new 250r metals, and a set of stiff clutch springs (i'd just use your barnett ones, those are fine).

Diedrich
08-24-2003, 04:43 PM
yeah i've heard bad things about barnett clutches too..hey man what part of kentucky are you from?

nakomis0
08-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Ya sounds like that piece of ***** Barnett clutch.

Thats a nice F*cK'In clutch aye?

I just hate that company I wasted my money on that garbage too.:grr: :grr:

cheetah
08-24-2003, 04:48 PM
I've heard that about Barnetts too. Just wanna make sure. I know my clutch got very bad last time, but it would still hold in gear. Now it's like all my gears are nuetral.

Diedrich, I'm just outside of Corbin about 15-20 miles from London.

cheetah
08-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Oh btw, what kind of clutches should I go for this time? I thought about Sparks, but I really don't have the time to wait on it to get here. I'm thinking about stock ex clutches, they held up quite well for me.

Big - D Racing
08-24-2003, 04:56 PM
400ex fibers, 250r metal, stiff springs

nakomis0
08-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
400ex fibers, 250r metal, stiff springs

Heh.. never heard of that one... I want the 300ex fibers, with 250r plates. Its an 8 plate setup. FDO sells em.

Diedrich
08-24-2003, 05:03 PM
go with what big d said

we'll have to get together and ride sometime
u go to turkey bay alot?

Big - D Racing
08-24-2003, 05:14 PM
I believe the only reason fdo uses 300ex fibers is because they are thinner so they fit with the stock components with 8 plates. When doing a 7 plate set up use the 400ex fibers, they are better.

08-25-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Heh.. never heard of that one... I want the 300ex fibers, with 250r plates. Its an 8 plate setup. FDO sells em.

I got the sparks setup and it's the same as FDO...300ex fibers and 250 plates...:macho Hinson basket would be a nice feature too cheetah....

cheetah
08-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Actually Diedrich, I've never been to Turkey Bay, nor Livingston or any big ride spot. I wanted to go to Hatfield real bad, but my parents wouldn't let me go since I would be going with my cousin. For some reason she doesn't trust us and he is the only other person with a sport bike that would go. I get my license in November so I'll be hitting a few spots then. I'll look ya up.

kgbg
08-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Did you soak the plated in oil? IF you did, you might want ot look at the inner hub. Mine got groved out from slippage, It causes the clutch to slip and then burn up really quick. Its not common, but it does happen, they are like $60 for a new one and no one stock them.

08-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by kgbg
Did you soak the plated in oil? IF you did, you might want ot look at the inner hub. Mine got groved out from slippage, It causes the clutch to slip and then burn up really quick. Its not common, but it does happen, they are like $60 for a new one and no one stock them. the baskets usualy go before the inner hub....the inner hub when wears casue the discs to move..when the baskets were it casue the plates to move back and forth..and that casuemore wear than the discs moving back and forth..i jsut wanted to be safe so i got the hole entire hinson setup with the 8 plate kit...it wasnt cheap..but i dont eve gotta worry about my clutch now:macho

cheetah
08-25-2003, 11:22 AM
I just looked at them and I noticed something that might be wrong. In the manual it says to put the last plate in the shallow groove. So you would have six in one groove and the last one in the shallow groove. Well the guy that helped me put them in stuck them all the same groove. Would that have any effect on this?

Taco
08-25-2003, 11:24 AM
that very well might be your prob. Worth giving it a try atleast.

Big - D Racing
08-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Well I don't think that really matters, because I know with a Hinson bast you put them all in the same groove and they don't even have the small groove at all. I'm pretty positive that shouldnt cause your disks to fry.