PDA

View Full Version : port and polish

luvmyex
08-24-2003, 03:06 AM
Would this make alot of differance on a stock engine?Im going back to a stock motor.and will only have a 39fcr on it.just hope im not bored with it after have mine built.

08-24-2003, 03:24 AM
A cam is almost a must with a port job. You might sacrifice bottem end with stock innards...:ermm:

luvmyex
08-24-2003, 04:38 AM
thanks Rico,So your saying without a higher compression it wouldnt be worth it? I dont know if i want to go into the motor or not.Seems like everyone that has winds up with alot of headaches.

nakomis0
08-24-2003, 06:33 AM
He said a cam, not compression.

I agree stock ports flow pretty decent. And porting with no other work besides a carb will not help alot.

A cam will open your valves wider and for a longer amount of time. Which gets you more air in and out of the combustion chamber.

As far as headaches when opening up the motor. If done right, and you can do it yourself right... There should be no problems.

cals400ex
08-24-2003, 07:20 AM
i actually just went into my engine last night. i took it apart to get the cylinder and piston out. i am having the shop bore it to a 406 and i will be putting in a hotcam. this is the first time i have been into the motor and it was rather easy with my clymer service manual. it goes step by step. if all you were doing is installing a cam, you would have less work than myself.

luvmyex
08-24-2003, 09:05 AM
i know he said cam.But also said loose bottom end.So therefor higher compression to keep from loosing bottom end. And a high performance motor always takes more tinkering and maintance than a stock engine,Right?
I know its not hard to do the install. i just dont want the high maint. that goes along with it.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-24-2003, 09:46 AM
You said high maintence :confused: change the oil and oil filter often,clean the filter often and that is pretty much it :D

pnut420
08-24-2003, 10:05 AM
If you do a 416 with a cam, 11:1 compression, run a FCR, (as reliable or better than stock) then you shouldnt't have any problems at all. Most of the people that have problems with their 416's cant figure out why they blew their stock motors in the first place, you gotta take care of them.