PDA

View Full Version : installing cam and piston?

cals400ex
08-23-2003, 08:27 PM
well my friend and i just ripped our 400ex's down to beef them up a little. i have a few questions. my hotcam came with a new cam sprocket flange, but my friends didn't. so he needs to use the factory flange. 1. does the factory flange just come off by pulling on it? 2. can i buy a timing chain tensioner stopper plate instead of making one? i don't see why you can't just use a skrewdriver? 3. i guess i need to clean out my head and head cover. what should i use to clean that out with? will carb and choke cleaner work? kerosene? by the way, the valves and springs etc. are still installed since i am not changing them so i don't want to use a cleaner that will hurt anything. 4. when reading the manual, it says to find top dead center on the compression stroke. if not, the exhaust rocker arms will not have any play in them. so, when you align the T mark on the flywheel, does that mean your on the compression stroke? i aligned the T mark up and checked clearances on the valves and then i rotated it one time around to the T mark again and the clearances were the same. someone told me that one time around would with the T mark lined up would be the compression stroke and then the next time around when lineing up the T mark would be the exhaust stroke. what is correct? 5. will any cam lube work on the new hotcams? i know i can use 20w-50 but i may not start the bike right up after i install the cam so i am worried too much may run off. any input would be great. thanks

GoLikeHell
08-24-2003, 01:50 AM
well my friend and i just ripped our 400ex's down to beef them up a little. i have a few questions. my hotcam came with a new cam sprocket flange, but my friends didn't. so he needs to use the factory flange. 1. does the factory flange just come off by pulling on it?

*I had to use a press to get mine off,.

2. can i buy a timing chain tensioner stopper plate instead of making one? i don't see why you can't just use a skrewdriver?

*Cheap short screwdriver will work fine

3. i guess i need to clean out my head and head cover. what should i use to clean that out with? will carb and choke cleaner work? kerosene? by the way, the valves and springs etc. are still installed since i am not changing them so i don't want to use a cleaner that will hurt anything.

*Any cleaner will dry the seals up. Brake cleaner is alcohol based so its probably the safest cleaner to use, just stay away from the seals. If for some reason you do spray the seals, quickly lube them back up with fresh engine oil.

4. when reading the manual, it says to will any cam lube work on the new hotcams? i know i can use 20w-50 but i may not start the bike right up after i install the cam so i am worried too much may run off.

* If the bike is going to sit for along time before starting I would use a automotive cam lube, or if you cant find that use vaseline. Vaseline willl desolve when it gets warm so you wont have any problems.

jerry-89-250R
08-24-2003, 01:59 AM
cal the flange has too be pressed off the stock cam and pressed on the new cam "good time too get rid of the de-compressor", screw driver works on the tensioner, kerosene works well,as for compression stroke at TDC after setting the valves rotate the motor 180 degree's and check for play on the rocker arms, if you have play it was on compression stroke, if not your on compression stroke now so adjust them , rotate a couple times too be sure after adjusting, i've never used cam lube but not a bad idea, i just pour some oil thru the valve adjuster cover, that fills the pan the cam sits in so the cam has oil

KAWSAM62
08-24-2003, 02:55 AM
napa sells a assemble lube for putting on cam lobes sells for 3.00 its moly based like the manual calls for kinda thick and stays on the cam for start up good luck!:D

luvmyex
08-24-2003, 02:57 AM
I would tell your friend to send his cam back and get a new one with th e flange already on it from hotcam.If not i almost garentee he will be doing it later.
The screwdriver works fine on the tensioner.
TDC is when you have just a little movement in all the rockers.Be sure all 4 move.And a good covering of oil will work on the cam.

cals400ex
08-24-2003, 07:59 AM
C&D did not have a new stage 1 in stock so i guess they sent me an old cam. on the tensioner it says use a flatblade skrewdriver at first but then use a tensioner stopper plate after that. i just wanted to make sure. what kind of press is used to get that flange off with? i may contact hotcam and see what they say. thanks

PHIL_B54
08-24-2003, 01:36 PM
if you turn the tensioner far enough, it will kinda click and lock in place.

jerry-89-250R
08-24-2003, 01:55 PM
just a regular hydraulic press, if you don't have one most bike and machine shops have them, shouldn't take 10 minutes to do

cheetah
08-24-2003, 04:22 PM
I used a hydraulic press as well. I dunno, but from the looks of that thing, the flange isn't coming off no time soon.:eek2: