PDA

View Full Version : whoops sections

quad_racer_19
08-23-2003, 08:02 PM
i was reading lots on how to take on whoops sections but they are either tiny and close together or big and far apart....then never say anything about big but really close...so close thatwhen your front tire is on the top of one ow the whoops your rear is halfway down the back of the other one

how can i go a bit quicker through these cuz they arent allthe same height either and some are way deep er than the others...should i just take them slow or what??
don;t wanna break nothing

400ex#18
08-24-2003, 03:08 AM
I don't know about anyone else...but i find it the easiest to go faster...The faster the better cause then you just skip on across them. Lean back farther too, cause then you front end doesn't drop down, and throw you over the front into a god dam end over end spill...(i have had many of them, and that is why i say lean back, and go fast!) :D

08-24-2003, 03:35 AM
Really good shocks are the key. stockers can only do so much no matter how good of a rider you are... 3rd gear hammerin down over 12 - 16 inch whoops is not a problem for me with the elkas... Especially the rear..it's really hard to push your quad to that limit and trust your not gonna get thrown off at 40 mph..:scary: I never fell outa control it's just the thought of timing that one out just right that will throw ya over the bars...:mad:

rider250ex
08-24-2003, 04:34 AM
lean back and keep the throttle steady at almost full. your tires should skip across the top. and never let off in a whoop section.

quad_racer_19
08-24-2003, 05:37 AM
i have a twist throttle so if i lean back too far i will wheelie and fall off or something and the first bump is 10 inches the second is 18 thethird goes down so low in th emiddle that it makes 2 and a half feet high whoop i cant take it too fast because these whoops go slightly diagonal
do i just stay slow then or what???

Nausty
08-24-2003, 08:01 AM
yup, most of these guys are right. You can either stay as far back as possible and lean back and keep the throttle steady and just blitz across them. Or you can jump a few of them like a rythem section. Whoops are my favorite parts of the mx track.

250rmike
08-24-2003, 09:51 AM
yea the only thing you can really do is lean back and pin it youll prolly wreck a couple times but once you get the hang of it youll be good

EXtreme
08-24-2003, 06:32 PM
I say get rid of that twist throtle then you can lean back as much as you want

EXtreme
08-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Try this web site for a arms like $250 for both sides upper and lower

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=22

Ryan
08-25-2003, 04:19 AM
Try not to stay stiff while going over the whoops. Use your body (as a shock) to soak up some of the bumps.

And of course practice. Everyone here can tell you the right way to ride these whoops, but it still takes practice.

NTPRacing#19
09-01-2003, 07:43 AM
if the whoops are diagonal then choose the striaghtest way through the whoops and the shortest way

foutrax42
09-01-2003, 10:35 AM
i found that at verde valley on my 400ex the whoops were so close together and so uneven that when i hit them i shifted down into 1st and bunny hopped through them. that made up alot of time...

rowlrag
09-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by EXtreme
Try this web site for a arms like $250 for both sides upper and lower

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=22
WOW I never knew stocks were that cheap, looks like you get all the hardware too. But a 250R is over $1000 for all.

Sick0
09-01-2003, 02:27 PM
One more thing I think alot of you guys are missing is when you are going through a whoop section is you want to stay balance. and Let the quad kinda due its own thing. while you stay balanced. you don't want the quad to get to out of of control this is where skill, body english and throttle control come into play. You don't want to fight the quad, this is where you are going to get tired real quick. Plus you want to shift to a higher gear because you will get better control and traction. and like every one else said go fast as you can is probly the better than backing off.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
One more thing I think alot of you guys are missing is when you are going through a whoop section is you want to stay balance. and Let the quad kinda due its own thing. while you stay balanced. you don't want the quad to get to out of of control this is where skill, body english and throttle control come into play. You don't want to fight the quad, this is where you are going to get tired real quick. Plus you want to shift to a higher gear because you will get better control and traction. and like every one else said go fast as you can is probly the better than backing off.

Never thought of it that way, but Dave great way to put it..i will try that next time at the pits too, that is prolly where i always get f'ed up

Sick0
09-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Plus when you stay balance on the quad and let the do what it wants you less problem with of off camber whoops, uneven whoops, whoops at an angle.

Plus I was thinking. Theres diffrent kinda whoops, some thats you have to hammer and some you have to flow., and some you have to jump. The we ride at have every kinda whoop section you can thing of. un til I rode there I never though about the diffrant techniques theres was to riding on whoops. After riding east st all day southwick will be a joke.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:03 PM
yes after riding there southwick deff. will be a joke...i Love riding there, because sometimes we get in some nice runs from the cops, and others you just get sore as hell.(me anyways) You make a good point dave, i have never even really thought about it that way, but we got a diff track goin there now, and it is maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the lenght of southwick...i try to do about 5 or 6 laps, but that last lap just destroys me!!

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:08 PM
One thing i love about this place is that no matter who asks the questions, i usually learn something new from every one of them:D

Sick0
09-01-2003, 03:08 PM
we just need to make some good jumps there and the place will be sick.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I am up for that!!!

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:13 PM
i will try and get a hold of the owner, and see if you will go in and take the big pile of sand/dirt and make us a nice maybe..35-50ft. table...that would be nice!:D

Sick0
09-01-2003, 03:16 PM
I think thats was the point of the extra sand They put on the big table they had there, but they need to find a way to keep the lips togather. plus I was think of a kicker ramp on and make the other pile of a sand a landing.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:21 PM
yeah...that would be tight...I want to and i think i am going to have mr. martin help me fabricate i ramp in metal fab...and then in the spring we can tow it around, and see what we can do..that would be nice...but what dimentions you think would work well?

Sick0
09-01-2003, 03:34 PM
The hard part is making the radius right. but I wlould make it atleast 60" wide 72" high and your raduis plus the high will detremen the length. I would say with a 6ft high ramp I wouldn't go any tighter than a 12ft radius.

400ex#18
09-01-2003, 03:59 PM
i am confuzzled, but then again i just got some very dissapointing info....so i am going for the night! :(