PDA

View Full Version : drilling a 1 inch hole in my airbox for a bit more air flow???

quad_racer_19
08-23-2003, 07:32 PM
would drilling a 1 inch hole in my airbox give me any more air intake than it has without the hole?
or would removing the airbox lid do anything

or is it all bs bout the airflow stuff?

hondarider2006
08-23-2003, 07:46 PM
yeah, more flow=more go:devil:

quad_racer_19
08-23-2003, 07:48 PM
when i take off my airbox lit and rev it a bit it is sucking pretty hard for air o what if i cut the top of my airbox lid open and leave the outside walls of the lid and stick a think cloth over the outer edge of the box itself and stick the open lid ofer the cloth...that would increase air flow and stop the filter from getting so dirty right?

cals400ex
08-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by quad_racer_19
when i take off my airbox lit and rev it a bit it is sucking pretty hard for air o what if i cut the top of my airbox lid open and leave the outside walls of the lid and stick a think cloth over the outer edge of the box itself and stick the open lid ofer the cloth...that would increase air flow and stop the filter from getting so dirty right?

you can do that to the lid if you don't want all of that dirt in. it will still flow more air. just remember, when modding your airbox lid, you need to rejet the bike.

AtvMxRider
08-24-2003, 12:28 AM
I have 6 one inch holes in my airbox and I could tell a difference in power after I done it. It's not as much as talking the cover all the way off but it helps.

skidplate
08-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Very important to realize that more air means you will be running lean unless you up your main jet or drop the clip on your needle. Running lean is not good!
The easiest way to richen is to bump your main jet up to 155, or 160. I have a 3x5 hole cut in my lid, running a 160 main and 42 pilot. One other thought is an exhaust to let this new flow of energy out the back door.
JB

Varmit57
08-24-2003, 03:25 AM
K&N is building a new Air box lid for the 400EX and other models that has some of there Filter material in the center of the lid for great air flow but will keep the dirt out. I don't know if it is releasted yet but should be out soon. You can use your stock filter or a K&N filter with it.....

Be sure to play with the jetting whenever you do something to air flow on your quad.

The easiest way that I have found to set the Jet is to buy a few that are bigger then what you have and go up a step at a time untell it starts to cut out at full throttle, then back off a bit. The warmer the weather is the better. If it is cooler when you set them then be sure that you have samller ones with you just in case! The plug should be a tan color after riding hard for a bit.

08-24-2003, 03:30 AM
Just a 1 inch hole isn't gonna do much and you WON"T have to rejet for such a mild change..:)

PHIL_B54
08-24-2003, 01:42 PM
are you talking about something like this ??

http://www.ehsracing.com/

quad_racer_19
08-24-2003, 01:43 PM
yeah just like that
i ddint know they made those