PDA

View Full Version : yfz 450 vs. predator

440exnacsracer
08-23-2003, 05:11 PM
i was just wondering if anyone with a 450 has raced a pred or visa versa. wantin to know which ones faster, handles better etc. thanks
Ben

DESDAK4
08-23-2003, 05:23 PM
About a month ago my buddy raced a stock YFZ on his piped Predator and just killed it. But keep in mind there was nothing done to YFZ and my buddy has a pipe a few other free things that just wake up that Predator big time.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
08-24-2003, 05:06 AM
I have raced one and rode one both.......Oneguy on a 450 stomped our Predator, tehn a few weeks ago raced one several time he had no baffle, open air box, and Predator beat him every time///I think for the most part, the 450 is going to take the Predator due to the Rev limit on the Predator.. You trow on a 440 or get the Vortex and I dont know if the drag race would be the same.:D

trueblue450
08-25-2003, 07:38 AM
i dragged a predator yesterday and beat him by 3 bike lenghts on about a 300yrd drag.. but he had really bald tires I think he did a little spinning. It would have been pretty close! But the predator weighs 500 lbs. :eek: So in reality there is no comparison.. as long as my yami WILL shift..! :scary:

MX_Racer_20
08-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Got the Oct. issue of dirt wheels today. Theres a shoot out between yfz450, z400, and predator. The 450 had just FMF pipe, predator had white brothers pipe and z400 had a wiseco 440 kit. Sand drags yfz450 would get the jump and easily beat the other to. The z440 got second every time about 2 lengths ahead of the predator. Then they ran them up Comp hill with same out come but predator didn't get beat as bad my the z440.

AlaskaSpeed
08-25-2003, 01:43 PM
I would have to agree here...comparing a Predator to a YFZ is not even an apples to apples comparison. The Predator weighs more, handles worse and get's it's *** handed to it out of corners etc.
I am not a big fan of drag races.....the YFZ handles like a 400ex and has the power the 400ex should have had from the factory..........JIM

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
08-25-2003, 06:29 PM
It may just be me...but I really love the handling of the pred. Maybe Im just used to riding it though..?

I went to a local shop the other day to get some shirts and hoodies for school...and there was a guy there b****in bout his yfz tranny and something bout the frame?

I know that it is fast but once again reliability comes into play!The pred has been reliable from what I've heard and as first hand experience mine has.Chain rattle...notta biggy..I have the pin put in so seat doesn't come off....Like it is supposed to be!

In my opinion I think Predator is one of the best stock bikes wihtout a doubt.The 2004 model will dominate..especially with the 440 kit:devil:

QuadJunkies
08-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
It may just be me...but I really love the handling of the pred. Maybe Im just used to riding it though..?

I went to a local shop the other day to get some shirts and hoodies for school...and there was a guy there b****in bout his yfz tranny and something bout the frame?

I know that it is fast but once again reliability comes into play!The pred has been reliable from what I've heard and as first hand experience mine has.Chain rattle...notta biggy..I have the pin put in so seat doesn't come off....Like it is supposed to be!

In my opinion I think Predator is one of the best stock bikes wihtout a doubt.The 2004 model will dominate..especially with the 440 kit:devil: I cant wait to see how that 440 does!!:macho

AlaskaSpeed
08-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by xXx*PREDATOR*xXx

In my opinion I think Predator is one of the best stock bikes wihtout a doubt.The 2004 model will dominate..especially with the 440 kit:devil:

Not sure you want to bring up reliability as a part of your kudos for the Predator vs any quad. We have had 3 this season that had front and rear brake calipers brake and seize up causing wrecks. Amazing what happens when front brakes lock up in mid air on a double....
Also, one of the same Predator owners had to have his frame welded since it broke at both top rails in the tank/seat area. He is so fed up with the repeat brake problems and frame breaking that he won't be on it next year. He also comments on how heavy it is.
I am sure the Predator has it's place, just don't think an MX track is that place..............JIM

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Not sure you want to bring up reliability as a part of your kudos for the Predator vs any quad. We have had 3 this season that had front and rear brake calipers brake and seize up causing wrecks. Amazing what happens when front brakes lock up in mid air on a double....
Also, one of the same Predator owners had to have his frame welded since it broke at both top rails in the tank/seat area. He is so fed up with the repeat brake problems and frame breaking that he won't be on it next year. He also comments on how heavy it is.
I am sure the Predator has it's place, just don't think an MX track is that place..............JIM Troy has done very well with it on MX here....Sorry to hear about his misfortune,it is abit on the heiver side, but it doesnt feel it when your on it to me....

trueblue450
08-26-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm sure hes doing good on it, but has he gone up against a yfz on the track yet??? :blah: :o :D

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by 300EX_Man
I'm sure hes doing good on it, but has he gone up against a yfz on the track yet??? :blah: :o :D LOL.No, but hes totally content with his quad for now...;)

440exnacsracer
08-26-2003, 03:23 PM
i appreciate the input guys.....a little too much criticism on the predators side, but ill take it. ive had my frame, rear shock, caliper bracket, neutral light, and brake light replaced....under warranty of course, but the frame took a while, just got it back the other week and man was i glad. it has takin a beating for a stock frame though, especially holding up 415 lbs.....NOT 500. im happy with my pred though, the 450 wouldnt fit me anyway, its too small, i sat on one and i know it would beat my knees to death, but i am 6'4'' :D

Dune Surfer
08-26-2003, 05:42 PM
I love my Predator, I'll be the first to admit that the yammy is faster though. I like the handling of the pred. It has a snappy motor and good suspension. It might not be for everybody but it works great for me. Riding sand dunes and trails it rips. It does weigh more than my EX but I never feel it. It jumps great and has balls. As far as dirt wheels goes they blow. They compare the predator to full on modded race bikes that have more $$$ in them.
Comparing a stroked full blown motor (hope you like buying race gas) and all aftermarket suspension, a-arms, axle,shocks, carb, and on and on. who do you think is going to win? Put a 600 stroker in a pred and hold on. In stock form it is one of the best quads out there period.

Chanman420q
08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
just a side question, how would a 440 kit in a pred do better than the stock 500?:huh

QuadJunkies
08-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
just a side question, how would a 440 kit in a pred do better than the stock 500?:huh I dont know all the ins and outs of this Kit but, I do know its suppose to help the Rev limit alot....;)

stock400ex
08-31-2003, 10:32 AM
i just got my predator yesterday. i haven't really rode it that much and its still in the break in process but from what i can tell i will be very pleased. :) me and a couple of friends are supposed to go camping tonight one has a piped jetted and kn filter on his raptor and another has a banshee 410 with everything, so i might see how the predator runs. i don't expect to win by any means but just to see how it runs :macho:

markeg192
08-31-2003, 01:41 PM
The 440 makes the Predator legal to race in GNC. Polaris claims it will not hurt the powerat all.

balla250ex
08-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
i appreciate the input guys.....a little too much criticism on the predators side, but ill take it. ive had my frame, rear shock, caliper bracket, neutral light, and brake light replaced....under warranty of course, but the frame took a while, just got it back the other week and man was i glad. it has takin a beating for a stock frame though, especially holding up 415 lbs.....NOT 500. im happy with my pred though, the 450 wouldnt fit me anyway, its too small, i sat on one and i know it would beat my knees to death, but i am 6'4'' :D

I am about 6 foot 2 inches... Imagine how I fell on the 250!!

Dune Surfer
08-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by stock400ex
i just got my predator yesterday. i haven't really rode it that much and its still in the break in process but from what i can tell i will be very pleased. :) me and a couple of friends are supposed to go camping tonight one has a piped jetted and kn filter on his raptor and another has a banshee 410 with everything, so i might see how the predator runs. i don't expect to win by any means but just to see how it runs :macho:

You will give the raptor a run for his money. Stock. enjoy and remember the pred loves to rev:D

440exnacsracer
09-01-2003, 02:39 PM
depending on the pipe on the raptor, you should be able to beat him. ive beat a piped, jetted and kn filter raptor and a piped, kn filter, jet kit and boost bottle banshee on dirt and asphault. both were good riders too.