PDA

View Full Version : The offset wheel deal

boogiechile
08-23-2003, 04:08 PM
I was typing a response when the thread got closed. I am glad it was closed because it got out hand. so I copied what i had typed and am posting it following:

HEY! Time Out! I went out of town for a couple days and came back and checked this thread and what was a good discussion is outa control. All the name calling, flaming, and cuts have about ruined this thread.

Gabe has proven his point that many of us knew was right from the beginning, and no, he is not simply weighing the quad. If he had of welded that pipe to his lower a arm and the put it on the scale it would have read less than 80 lbs. Would he have still been just weighing the quad? However, even Gabe has gotten a tone about his post that is cutting. I realize he is frustrated that some can not see the point but I think he could be a little more gentle with the comments. OK Gabe?

As far as reading books about suspension (someone mentioned), all the suspension books I have ever seen support Gabes point. While I was in Atlanta over the weekend I went to a big bookstore there to revisit this and looked in several good books on suspension looking for info on this subject. All books had formulas for determining the shock leverage and offset does not play into any of them on a dual a arm setup.

Anyway lets just learn and even disagree if you want to but cut out the smart *** remarks and stuff. Not everyone is doing it but it does not take much of it to screw up a good discussion.

08-23-2003, 04:11 PM
yeah, who cares run whatever you think is the best, you can argue about this all day but its personal preference

86atc250r
08-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Personal preference!? I suppose if you like a poorly handling quad, then that may be the case. There are very real physics and very real causes and effects involved.

As far as my posts go - I was a touch irritated at Jeff - if he wants to argue a point, fine, I'll argue mine and provide whatever proof I can to support what I'm saying. If I'm proven wrong, I'll accept it and go on, it won't be the first time - however, if he wants to waste my time by offering no response other than "I'm right, you're talking in circles, and btw, I'm leaving the thread". Then I will change my tone a bit.

I felt I offered plenty of patients, explained things in a thorough and easy to understand manner, and I didn't think anything I said was offensive to anyone (although a little of my sarcasm may have irritated Jeff a bit).

Did I miss something Saturday or are my posts the reason the thread was closed? If so, most of the crap posted on this messageboard should be removed. After I posted my pictures on Saturday I was gone until Sunday afternoon so if the kids got in there and made a mess, I didn't see it.

Pappy
08-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
if the kids got in there and made a mess, I didn't see it.

not if...did;)

QuadTrix6
08-25-2003, 05:23 AM
Did I miss something Saturday or are my posts the reason the thread was closed? If so, most of the crap posted on this messageboard should be removed. After I posted my pictures on Saturday I was gone until Sunday afternoon so if the kids got in there and made a mess, I didn't see it.

No your posts weren't the reason it was closed, i and others got into an argument. the thread was locked then edited by guy400 (thanks) and reopened. I guess its hard for some people to admit there wrong, even after all of your explaining and facts :confused: ..your posts were fine, seems latley a lot of people just don't wanna learn. the "Who Cares" attitude seems to be sweeping the site :ermm:

86atc250r
08-25-2003, 05:23 AM
Glad I missed it :)

08-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Personal preference!? I suppose if you like a poorly handling quad, then that may be the case. There are very real physics and very real causes and effects involved.

As far as my posts go - I was a touch irritated at Jeff - if he wants to argue a point, fine, I'll argue mine and provide whatever proof I can to support what I'm saying. If I'm proven wrong, I'll accept it and go on, it won't be the first time - however, if he wants to waste my time by offering no response other than "I'm right, you're talking in circles, and btw, I'm leaving the thread". Then I will change my tone a bit.

I felt I offered plenty of patients, explained things in a thorough and easy to understand manner, and I didn't think anything I said was offensive to anyone (although a little of my sarcasm may have irritated Jeff a bit).

my quad is fine

86atc250r
08-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Good.

Why then, given your responses here and in the other thread that if you're not concerned about our "petty" arguments, are you taking time to clog this thread and the other with your useless drivel? If you don't like it, go back to the "longest thread ever" or the Pokemon forums.

If you think that wheel offset doesn't make any real world difference, I really feel for you. You have a lot to learn - you'd be best served to keep quiet, read, and comprehend & not chastise us for trying to help others understand.

The best you've ridden is the best you know - 'nuff said.

08-25-2003, 06:22 AM
yeah thats they point you all telling each other your wrong why dont YOU just use what works best for YOU

Pappy
08-25-2003, 06:22 AM

The best you've ridden is the best you know - 'nuff said.

i agree:macho

Pappy
08-25-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
yeah thats they point you all telling each other your wrong why dont YOU just use what works best for YOU

once all the BS was outta the way some good info was exchanged in that thread....

stop causing trouble

86atc250r
08-25-2003, 06:26 AM
That's where *your* reasoning skills come to play.

Take what you've seen posted, see what makes sense, sort all the info out and decide for yourself who posted info that helps you comprehend - take the chance of learning a great deal in the process - or at minimum invoking your own thought process.

Or, just post some smart***** "who cares" post and go making your own mistakes (and hopefully) learning from them instead of learning from others mistakes.

wilkin250r
08-25-2003, 06:29 AM
Oooh, Pappy is like Mother Teresa.

Crack him on the knuckles with a yardstick, Pappy!! :D

08-25-2003, 06:31 AM
yeahhh..........stock offset works good with +2 a arms ....so tell me my mistakes master

Pappy
08-25-2003, 06:33 AM
yeahhh..........stock offset works good with +2 a arms ....so tell me my mistakes master

last time im gonna tell ya to knock it off. people can argue constructivley without being smartass....learn it..live it...

08-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
last time im gonna tell ya to knock it off. people can argue constructivley without being smartass....learn it..live it...

"maybe gabe can right you a book on how to assemble a quad correctly "

ok sorry it wont happen again im done posting in these threads

Pappy
08-25-2003, 06:37 AM
"maybe gabe can right you a book on how to assemble a quad correctly "

ok sorry it wont happen again im done posting in these threads

on the first part....ben and i joke with each other all the time...in an adult fashio

secondly....you MIGHT be thru posting altogether;)

08-25-2003, 06:38 AM
ic for what? something you yourself are guilty of?

wilkin250r
08-25-2003, 06:38 AM
The suspense is killing me!!!

86atc250r
08-25-2003, 06:39 AM
I don't believe anyone said Freeride's quad is all hosed up - if you don't care why some things work and some things do not, don't read the topics - because others do.

The question was do offset wheels affect shocks the same as control arms - answers, reasons, theorys, and examples were given by various people.

Why do YOU say run +2 arms with stock offset? Why not just get by cheap and flip your wheels around. Because offset wheels don't look as cool as aftermarket arms? - Go back to the thread, then read and learn. Maybe next time *you* can help someone asking the question.

Again, if you don't like it, hang out in the "longest thread ever" type messages and we'll all be happier. Your mentality will be better appreciated there.