PDA

View Full Version : 400ex OIL coming out of LOWER CASE GUARD BOLT??? HELP PLEASE

tahoe97
08-23-2003, 10:50 AM
I have a 2001 400ex and right now i have the carb off doing some work to it and decided since it was all ripped apart to take the shifter off and my billet case guard off and clean up that area...
well oil starts pouring out of the bottom hole... i put my hand over the pipe going to the motor and it slowed down but is it suppose to do that even with the carb off?? i mean do i have something wrong??

and my other question.. since i have already had oil come out that hole and have had the carb off and stuff should i just pull the drain plug and let the oil drain out and then go ahead and let what is left to come out of that bottom case guard bolt come out??

thanks just really need some good advice and several opinions would be welcome

Wingnut
08-23-2003, 01:17 PM
It sounds like the bolt bottomed out in the hole and punched through the case. This could have happened because the bolt was too long or the the case saver or it's spacers were too thin. I have had this happen with one of the clutch cable bracket's bolts, but being so high up, no oil came out. If no oil is leaking when the bolt is in, then I would not worry about it too much. That is unless the bolt vibrates loose. You will probably have to split the cases to either plug the hole, or get a new left side case.

tahoe97
08-23-2003, 06:48 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE say i didnt ruin my engine to where the case has to split and all of that just from putting a case saver on cuz i remember when i put it on the first time i forgot the lower space so i must have put the bolt in but come on guys does someone else have another opinion i am not say you are wrong its just OH MY GOSH.....

If i did ruin the case will it cause any harm as long as no oil leaks out??
and you think it might help to get some of that gasket material and make a gasket for it to help out a little???? THAT IS IF what i did do ruined it...

please help guys