PDA

View Full Version : buying quad, need input on my situation???

cudaman
08-22-2003, 01:53 PM
well. ive had my heart set on a 250r for a couple years now. my dad finally said he will cosign for a loan for me to get one. but i have a couple concerns about them. first, i have never been on a sport quad, only ranch bikes and such. second, i dont really have any experience with two strokes. so if i get a 250r i will have to learn how to fix it as stuff breaks. my friend thinks i should get something newer so i wont have any headaches with it, ill be able to ride it instead of always fixing it (so he says.) anway, what does everyone think about my situation. do you guys really think i would be stupid to get a 250r(i really want one) im 18 years old and big enough for any quad. i will ride dunes(lol i live at pismo) and river beds, and trails and such. also i cant really get something small and upgrade cause i dont have the money and i wouldnt want to. i like to start out on the good stuff(with anything.) btw i will probably be spending about 4 grand on one.

Toadz400
08-22-2003, 02:03 PM
make sure the 250R you are getting is in REAL good shape, check everything over, ask the guy to start it for you and make sure it doesn't make any abnormal noises, make sure everything is in working order, ask him if there are any problems, etc. and if you are spending 4k on a 250R it must be pretty good because most of them are going for cheap, unless they are highly modded ones with aftermarket frames.

Rip_Tear
08-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Sounds good, make sure you keep up on oiling, cleaning and changing filters etc just keep the regular maitaince up on it and you will have less problems :D BTW the less motor (boring etc) done to the quad the less problems you should have :D

Toadz400
08-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Sounds good, make sure you keep up on oiling, cleaning and changing filters etc just keep the regular maitaince up on it and you will have less problems :D BTW the less motor (boring etc) done to the quad the less problems you should have :D

yes, make sure you pick up a manual for it as soon as you buy it, and do all the basic maintanence before EACH ride. it's worth it, i didn't do much maintanence on my banshee and i blew the motor and pretty much everything else in it.:eek2:

cudaman
08-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
and if you are spending 4k on a 250R it must be pretty good because most of them are going for cheap, unless they are highly modded ones with aftermarket frames.

yeah i plan on getting one that is already fixed up a bit. it seems cheaper that way instead of fixing up yourself.

anyway,thanks for the tips guys, anyone else??

Sportrax10
08-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Wait to see how the trx450r is. You might fall in love:ermm: who knows?

nacs400ex
08-22-2003, 02:32 PM
I am getting a 250r for like $1700. Its all in peices and I have to put it together. Its got an LRD265 in it. I get beadlocks, some lager stuff, durabreak axle and a few other little things. Its gunna be a nice project, and it will RIP.

I cant wait to get it tomorrow :D I am mechanically inclined especially with dirtbikes and quads so it wont be too hard. Then I am gunna order some Longtravel the the sucker. I am just trying to decide what set-up I want. I really like the lager pro-trax. But I dont have that kinda cash, especially when you have to pay for everything yourself when your 16.:)

quaddict53
08-22-2003, 03:18 PM
But I dont have that kinda cash, especially when you have to pay for everything yourself when your 16.

^story of my life:(

Check for cracks by the swingarm pivot bolt.

cudaman
08-22-2003, 04:23 PM
thanks for the replies. anyone else??

outacontrol31
08-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Any R with a number on it means it has been raced, which 90% of all R's have but if your lucky and find one that has had few owners and never been raced then you've found a heck of a deal, also you might take off all the plastic and check for sign's of wear (cracked frame, rusty spots, etc), you might also check the airfilter and other stuff that needs regular maintenence to see if he took care of it well, anyway goodluck;)

cudaman
08-22-2003, 04:42 PM
whats wrong with a quad that has been raced. i mean obviously theres more wear and tear on it but if they kept it up wouldnt it be fine to buy. what are the downfalls of a raced 250r

outacontrol31
08-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Okay how about this, I race my 300ex alot but I keep it in the best possible condition I can, still it will break and I can't do anything but fix it no matter how well i maintain it, all I was saying was a non raced R is better than a Raced R 99% of the time, unless the guy with the R never pushed the quad to it's limits then you don't have to worry about anything, but how di you know that. mobody can, you just never know, your future R could be one ride away from a total breakdown, just sayin watch what you buy, after all the newest R you can find is well over a decade old:huh

4wheelboy
08-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cudaman
yeah i plan on getting one that is already fixed up a bit. it seems cheaper that way instead of fixing up yourself.

anyway,thanks for the tips guys, anyone else??

how bout a 400ex they r going dirt cheep with lots of mods:confused:

cudaman
08-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
how bout a 400ex they r going dirt cheep with lots of mods:confused:

i dont know. i just dont want a 400ex. i have had my mind on the 250r and i just dont see me getting anything else. i dont know. i figure im gonna be spending about the same about of money so i might as get what i really want. and if i dont like it i can resell it and still prob get something else:) but i think im gonna like it

QuadR8cer12
08-23-2003, 05:53 PM
you should just buy my quad;) :) its better than an R;) and it never fails a getting the holeshot in a race against plenty of R's shee's and YZF 450's........here is a link to all the mods I have posted in the fore sale forum.. check it out you might have a change of heart:) http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70148

QuadR8cer12
08-23-2003, 05:58 PM
here is a pif of it if I can get it to work......I miss the good ol days when it was easy to post pics:(
http://www31.brinkster.com/austinwilson/db/nacona3.jpg

cudaman
08-23-2003, 06:23 PM
yeah but you want 7000 for that quad. thats a lil more than i am willing to spend. sorry.

QuadR8cer12
08-24-2003, 05:50 AM
its worth every penny though;) I would take 6500 for it though I will give you the exriders member discount:p

hessianmx111
08-24-2003, 07:33 AM
honestly i wouldnt get an R if i were you the machines are like 16 years old, youve never had a sport quad before and the R might be a lil much,alot of maintenence on that old of a machine, if i were you id get a slightly used 400ex. i am sure its the right machine for you. and from what ive heard there pretty much indestructible. but if you really want an R and are willing to put forth the money and time to work on it then go for it, but id get a 400 instead.:ermm:

outacontrol31
08-25-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
its worth every penny though;) I would take 6500 for it though I will give you the exriders member discount:p
What is up man, how did ya do At badlands, case ya don't know who this is I'll give ya a hint, it's that insanly fast orange 300ex #31 that can smoke ya, J/K hows it hangin I didn't know you got on here much, anyway why are you sellin your quad and what you gonna get, are ya gonna be at nocona, see ya:cool:

QuadR8cer12
08-25-2003, 03:53 PM
hey man! I am goingo naona an wford the night before nacona for the full moon race. I am selling my quad and getting a honda 450 :) you wanna get ride of that 300 and get ahold of some real power??:p

outacontrol31
08-30-2003, 10:50 AM
I B already tryin to get more power. at least any different quad before mine falls apart, I bin wanting the 450 also but I jus't don't know, later this year mark crotky said we need to get together and figure out what I am gonna ride next year, I he sais I would be better off on my 300 for another year than thats what I'll do, but I'll have to get another frame cause mine ain't gonna last. anyway It's good to hear from ya and I'll see ya at nocona:macho

honda250xrider
08-30-2003, 12:03 PM
have you ever thought about a banshee? That also wouldn't be a bad quad to get if you said you were going to use it for the dunes

cudaman
08-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
have you ever thought about a banshee? That also wouldn't be a bad quad to get if you said you were going to use it for the dunes

well ill prob be doing a lot of trail riding too, not just dunes. and also the thing about the banshees is i have to buy two of everything instead of just one. soo i kinda ruled them out.

mikealexander88
08-30-2003, 02:21 PM
get the R, and just make sure you get a clean one . a friend of mine has one he would prabily sell for 4000. it has 400ex plastic on it, has had 1800 done to the motor in the past 8 months and in the last 3 months it has been ridden like 2 times becuase he has 2 R's, a 400ex, and a 300ex. he mainly rides his other R. it is a really tight bike, has a few aftermarket things on it like-nerfs,skid,aftermarket bumpers, fmf pipe, i think it has beadlocks on the back, not sure about that thoe, interested? this think looks very nice is and in excelent shape. it has a hinson clutch basket in it also. alot of new parts, and im sure more aftermarket parts i'v missed.