PDA

View Full Version : how to keep the clutch cable from melting

honda400zx
01-26-2002, 06:34 PM
i have after market t-4 exaust and my clutch cable touches the header i riged it up with some zip ties but i want a perminent fix i cant think if anything?:confused:

400exdad
01-26-2002, 08:50 PM
There is a loop that the clutch cable runs through that bolts to the motor mount bolt. Do you have that? It is on the right hand side of the motor.

Moto92
01-26-2002, 10:36 PM
yeah, you should have a loop the cable runs through
it runs between the middle of the two head pipes

Giz400ex
01-27-2002, 08:08 AM
I also have this problem but I melted mine pretty bad that I bought a new one and I'm just gonna have to re-route it somehow. I also tried bending that loop thing for the cable but for some reason the cable has had a mind of its own.

MIKE400EX
01-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Get some of the ceramic cloth header wrap and wrap the CABLE. The kind that has an aluminum face would work well. Maier plastic sells a "heat tile" that's inexpensive. It's fiberglass with an aluminum face - like on the inside of the rear fender by the pipe. Should work good too.
I bent the cable bracket/loop by the exhaust slightly and also used a heavy duty wire tie up by the oil cooler to pull it away - has worked well for a year now. Make a loop out of the wire tie, don't tighten it down so much as to restrict all movement.

>>>Come to think of it, if you wrapped the header by the oil tank, and put a piece of the heat tile on the back of the oil tank (only), it would probably keep the engine oil noticeably cooler.