PDA

View Full Version : I cant get this bolt out

400exbiggun
08-22-2003, 01:00 PM
ok, this is for my dirtbike project, i noticed the intake boot on the carb is like rotted and falling apart, so there is 2 allen bolts. I tried one, and could not get it out, so i put a pipe on the wrench to live extra leverage, and the bolt came loose. Then the next one, tried the same thing, except it bent the allen wrench sooo bad it is now garbage. I didn NOT strip the bolt, but how do i get it out. i only have 1 more wrench that size, and dont want to ruin that also. I dont want to drill and tap, cause it is in the cylinder, and i dont want to make matters worse. HOW DO I GET IT OUT:grr: :ermm:

AtvMxRider
08-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it soak. I personally like PB blast. Try tapping the screw with a hammer before trying to loosen it.

400exbiggun
08-22-2003, 01:11 PM
ill try that tomorrow, but i will go spray it with all i have now.:ermm:

p@iNn3ck
08-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it soak. I personally like PB blast. Try tapping the screw with a hammer before trying to loosen it.

GET SOME PB! Seriously, my father in law got me this OLD w&w chipper/grinder thing that was nothing but rust and corrosion. Thought we'd pull the motor off and take the rest apart, couldn't budge a bolt. Sprayed em down with PB, let em sit, and no problem!

AtvMxRider
08-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by p@iNn3ck
GET SOME PB! Seriously, my father in law got me this OLD w&w chipper/grinder thing that was nothing but rust and corrosion. Thought we'd pull the motor off and take the rest apart, couldn't budge a bolt. Sprayed em down with PB, let em sit, and no problem!

PB is the chit!:D

Rip_Tear
08-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Try tapping it as you are turning the wrench :D My dad has this crazy penetrating lube, it bubbles when you spray it on! It works really well, but its really expensive, if you still have problems PM me and I will go find a can of it and tell you what its called :D

Woodsrider
08-22-2003, 02:38 PM
try getting it hot;)

08-22-2003, 05:42 PM

where do i get this stuff? and how much is it?

TheOneYouHate
08-23-2003, 03:52 AM
soak it in liquid wrench

AtvMxRider
08-23-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
where do i get this stuff? and how much is it?

You can get it almost anywhere. It's only a couple bucks.

SGA
08-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Spray with PB blaster. Give the bolt a few sharp raps with the hammer. If you cannot reach it with a hammer, DO NOT use a screwdriver to reach it and hit it, the plastic handle absorbs the shock, which is what breaks the bolt loose. Use a punch, or a socket extension. Metal to metal is what you want when hitting.

400exrider400ex
08-23-2003, 06:11 AM
it definately is!

400exbiggun
08-23-2003, 11:34 AM
thanks guys, got it out, man it is REALLY rusted.
i sprayed it with everything in my garage last night. then this morning, hit it kinda hard a couple of times, then i tried to loosen it and it just bent the allen, so i turned it to tighten it and it 'clicked', then i turned to loosen it, and it came right out.:D

350Xrider
08-23-2003, 11:48 AM
just spray it with alot of Wd40, it works for me when i cant get screws or nuts off.

350Xrider
08-23-2003, 11:49 AM
ooops didnt read last post.:D

08-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Had one the other day, A large allen head bolt holding a flange on..Recessed of course. Soaked it, hit it, etc. The head was stripped out from someone else. The cold chisel trick did not work either, so I broke out the torch. No go! Finally drilled the head out. It made a loud snap when the pressure was released, and the 1/2 inch of bolt sticking up screwed right out. The top of the bolt had seized in the flange!