PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Dale a have some ?'s

250xex
08-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Today i became a pround owner of a Cannondale, first what do u guys think it the best way to break a new bike in, and should i change the engine oil ad tranny oil. Plus the radiator fluid is leaking alll over the bike, what can i do about that? Does anyone else have trouble finding nuetral while the bike is running? It is a 03 are all the updates dune to it like the stud and engine mount or d i have to do those? Well thank you guys for helping me out. I love this bike by the way, it is awesome

Ballistic Atv
08-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Hey,
Congratulations! You have just bought the ultimate high performance atv EVER made :macho .
I just bought one also 2 weeks ago and I LOOOOVE it!!
To break it in: run it for four 15 minute periods, rolling on and off the throttle, making sure not to go past half throttle. After each 15 minute ride, let it cool off fully, 20-30 minutes, then ride it for another 15...and so on, until a total of 1 hour is done.
Then change the engine oil, oil filter, transmission oil, and clean trans oil filter. Do that after the 1 hour break in.
After that break in period, tighten up all bolts to spec, adjust the chain and lube it, clean airfilter.
If it is an 03 it should have had the oil vent update done for sure, the stud update may or may not have been done, you should check the engine for the stud update when you adjust the valves at 20hours.

Have fun!

250xex
08-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info, it really helped. This machine is truley amazing. I love the power, even at half throttle it is amazing. Were do u get parts, like the oil filter a fuel filter, i think cdaleparts.com not sure though can anyone help me out on were to find parts, thanks again.

YamaWarr0121
08-23-2003, 02:57 AM
250xex definately go over to cannondaler.com and cannondaleriders.com for the most info. get your quad all checked out and make sure all the updates and everything are completed before you really take it out to the track/trail. you'll learn everything you need to know by just browsing those forums for a few hours and learn everything. if you have any questions dont be afraid to ask because the tight cannondale family right now is available for help at all times, you have a question, someone on the sites have an answer!

good luck and nice pick, the black sure does look nice until you ride it:rolleyes:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p78e6c550dbea086fa150870f1fa71f2c/fb4ea82a.jpg

edit: now that i read your post, you probably do not have any updates ( stud or engine mount) my cannibal is 2003 189 and the only update i had was the oil line reroute. Just check the front engine mounts and see if there is a little bar in between the two..like this

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pdee7de500e78efb76bfe1d03ea1b8fbe/fc4dd289.jpg

You can get these updates anywhere, but i'd reccomend cdaleparts.com or now from ATK.

YOu probably do not have the stud update, if your side cover ( the one with the C on it) is a silver color then you probably do have the update, but if it is black, you most likely do not.
i'd go with a stage 8 update which is also available through Maz at Cdaleparts

Also, the leaking coolant could be a result of corrosion in your valve cover, if your bike is used, tell us how many hours it has on it, and then take a look and see if the valve cover is corroded.

Bill Fuller
08-23-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by 250xex
Thanks for the info, it really helped. This machine is truley amazing. I love the power, even at half throttle it is amazing. Were do u get parts, like the oil filter a fuel filter, i think cdaleparts.com not sure though can anyone help me out on were to find parts, thanks again. The Quadshop can handle any of your parts needs,trust me just spent $1500 on goodies for mine.Jeff@Quadshop knows his chit and has put up with many of my dumb questions.I'm on Canndaleriders.com also Big B.Welcome to the club.Just got everthing put together if we can now post pics I will just give me a few.

250xex
08-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Well i just looked and it doesnt look like the updates are done to it, will the warranty cover the updates? If not were go I go to get the parts, i didnt see any on cdaleparts but i could be wrong, and how much do they cost? Also how important is it to have these done? It is finally broke in i think, all i have to do is change the oils, and all i got for engine oil is honda 10w40, is that ok for should i get something better? I am sry if im asking alot of questions but i want to do everything right, so thank you everyone, u have all helped me out alot, thanks

bradley300
08-24-2003, 11:13 AM
the quadhop guys use motul 15w40 full synthetic oil in the motor, not use whatthey use in the tranny, i think its motul tranny oil, but im not sure.

the longer you put off the updates, the more damage could be done, then you will be one of the guys that claims cannondale suck, later to find out it was your own damn falut in the first place.

Sandgod4
08-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Not doing the stud up date is like playing Russian Roulette. By the time I found out about this so called stud update it had been 6 months of hard riding. Mine still is okay after 16 months. I just bought a South Bay 450 motor and will be doing the swap in a week.. The guy I bought this motor from had his studs back out and destroy his motor. Alot of stuff inside is new w/ a new right side case half..The stud update kit is around 90 bucks. It should come w/ the trans plate bolts also.. www.rsperfromance.net has step by step instructions on how to drop the motor or ask on one of our sites..

mbiigambler
09-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Will the same shocks that fit the 400ex fit a cannondale, both fronts and rear? I thought I read were the fronts will work, just curious if the rear works too? Thanks

Doibugu2
09-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by mbiigambler
Will the same shocks that fit the 400ex fit a cannondale, both fronts and rear? I thought I read were the fronts will work, just curious if the rear works too? Thanks

rears won't work. Different setups, Gus.

mbiigambler
09-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Can the Quadshop or anyone do a rebuilt and/or conversion on the cannibal rear shock, or any other models for that fact?

cdalejef
09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
We can do the SSD conversion on the Ohlins rear only not the Fox.

400ex front shocks won't work well on the Dale!

rustidchevy454
09-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Canondale's are out of business now your screwed because part are so hard to find.

wyndzer
09-14-2003, 04:07 PM
ATKUSA (http://www.atkusa.com)

Bill Fuller
09-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by rustidchevy454
Canondale's are out of business now your screwed because part are so hard to find. Why do you insist on talking about somthing you know nothing about?I know I said peace before but I know you have access to the internet why don't you look around before you run your mouth?I am not worried at all about parts availability,ATK will take care of us.

cdalejef
09-15-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by rustidchevy454
Canondale's are out of business now your screwed because part are so hard to find. Nope, your gonna be the one getting screwed on the race track!!! :blah:

ranger400ex
09-15-2003, 07:26 AM
Hey Rustedpole.....From the way you run your mouth....sounds like the racetrack is the only place you are gonna get screwed anyways...:rolleyes:

Get em Jeff....:macho

I have passed alot of rustedchevy's on the trail.

Ben

danyeo
09-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Hey 250xex. Don't feel bad if you strip the hell out of the Tranny fluid bolt the first time you change the oil, lots of others have myself included. Check you manual for all the correct bolt sizes and for procedures on things like fuel filter, spark plug, and the oil change procedure, which ain't that bad.

Ballistic Atv
09-15-2003, 04:11 PM
Make sure when your cleaning the tranny oil filter, that you do not tighten the drain bolt with a socket wrench, because, if the oil filter has not seated correctly it will bend the filter and you will have to replace it. Instead, put the filter into the hole in the back of the drain bolt and then put it into the hole and slowly tighten it down by hand, when you start to feel some considerable resistance, unscrew it by hand a 1/4 turn then tighten again, repeat until it is fully screwed in. Also, make sure to keep all those nuts and bolts torqued down, and apply lock tite to all bolts that start to come loose.