PDA

View Full Version : Damn those Ohtsus!

08-12-2001, 08:25 PM
I've had yet another problem with my Ohtsu tires!My buddy and I were riding yesterday up on some fresh logging roads(there's lots here!)and I was behind him as we came over this rise in the road we had em' pinned at full throttle.Anyway,all I saw was this cloud of dust and this 12" crushed rock come sailin' at me right under my quad.My left rear hit that sucker wide open and I knew what happened!You guessed it,big ol' shagnasty gash in the inside sidewall.Oh well my buddy's bike got a flat right front tire from the same rock so we limped the rest of the way(5 miles)home.Oh yeah,he was also running Ohtsus.That makes 5 flat tires in 7 trail rides all together.I would like to switch tires flat out but hunting season is rapidly approaching and just can't swing the extra coin right now.Somebody for godsakes buy my sweet aluminum trailer in the classifieds so I can buy some decent tires!See ya!

Stevo
08-13-2001, 12:49 AM
I've been running the stock front tires for awhile and had no flats in them. The rears were a different story. One thing you can do is put more air pressure in. Ever since I put 8 psi in I really haven't had any flats in the front or rear tires:)

booneTRX
08-13-2001, 04:17 PM
Riding that fast and nailing a big rock will damage any tire. I have two nasty dents in my front rim and mt stock tires dont lose air from ride to ride.

It aint the tires, just your bad luck and riding style.

08-18-2001, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I realize that hitting a rock that size at that speed probably isn't all that healthy for a tire but I've had a lot of problems before with just little holes that I've picked up here and there off trails and whatnot.Oh well, I really shouldn't complain,thats all a part of riding.Thanks for the input!By the way,I've been running 10 lbs in my tires,think it's too much?Also I noticed that you guys ride 400exs and I've been told that the tires on the 400ex are way stronger than the ones on the 300ex.I would switch to those but they are smaller and I don't want to sacrifice the ground clearance.Maybe they will offer them in a 22" soon. Thanks again

4punksdad
08-18-2001, 04:19 PM
10 lbs is WAY too much air in my opinion.......I usually run around 5psi

TREX400
08-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Yeah... to much pressure. I run mine at around 5 psi too. have run thru some rough stuff and had no problems so far...

what size and style tire is on the 300ex???
is it the older balloon style? I think the sidewalls are weeker on this type.. just a thought.

08-19-2001, 04:52 PM
Yeah the 400 tires are more like a radial and the 300 tires are more like a bias ply.I could also be totally wrong here but my local dealer told me that.The 300 tires are shaped more like the old school balloon tires and the 400 tires have a more flat tread surface and they are supposedly way tougher.The appearance difference is obvious but as far as the construction and the durability is concerned,I'm just going on what I've been told.As far as the pressure issue,I guess it's just a trial-and-error type of thing.I'll try it around 5 or 8 on my next trail ride.I appreciate the input-thanks.

Revin300EX
08-19-2001, 07:54 PM
Up until 2 months ago, I was running the stock rear tires off of an 85 ATC250r...

I figure of they held up for that long, they are a damn good tire! If I could afford them, I would have gotten Ohtsu replacements...

monkeyboy
08-22-2003, 08:57 AM
i hattz dem sum bichs 2:cuss:

mx400
08-22-2003, 10:37 AM
i have never had a problem with my stockers. i love em actually. they hook up well in pretty much anything. but i still wana get klaws.

QuadTrix6
08-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
i hattz dem sum bichs 2:cuss:

please whoever you really are stop bringing back old thread its getting annoying :rolleyes:

Rip_Tear
08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
please whoever you really are stop bringing back old thread its getting annoying :rolleyes:

Ya, espically the ones that dont matter, or have any real relevence!

But I love my stockers on the 400ex! But I have been getting some thorn holes though them...

ewalker302
08-22-2003, 02:04 PM
New thread to me.

I wouldnt run over 4 psi in my quad's tires, unless I was going for all out top speed.
:bandit: