PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick advice

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm just gonna copy and paste this from the Powertrain forum. I need to get this fixed within the next 16 hours. "OK, stupid question of the day. Is it possible to put too much oil in your quad? I started up my quad with the fuel reservoir off when I went to check my oil. I realized after about 30 seconds that the fuel reservoir thing was off so I turned it on. Keep in mind the quad was running fine even with that switch off. I turned off the quad, checked the oil, added some oil. When I checked it, I went pretty far over the top notch on the dipstick. I turned the quad back on, everything was fine for about 10 seconds, then it stalled. Now the thing doesn't wanna run for nothing, simply turns on and sputters to death and will barely stay on with me revving it. As soon as I let go of the throttle, it dies. Now, would this be because I ran it with the fuel line turned off for a couple of seconds, or because I filled ti up with too much oil? Stupid question, I know. But please help." Thanks in advance!

4wheelboy
08-21-2003, 05:14 PM
when u say fuel resivor do mean the petcock:confused:

H440exconfused
08-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Having the fuel knob off wont hurt it, you can run it till the bowl emnpties and it will just run out of gas, after you turn it back on you should have to crank it till the bowl fills up, my suggestion is, let it sit, drain all the oil out fill it to the spec, which is 1.9 quarts then run it for five mins the add it up to a total of 2.3 qts. Change the spark plug to and then you should be fine

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 05:47 PM
do i have to change the spark plug or was that just a reccomentdation? i will be lucky if i ahve enough time to drain the oil and refill it

H440exconfused
08-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
do i have to change the spark plug or was that just a reccomentdation? i will be lucky if i ahve enough time to drain the oil and refill it

Ok, just let it set for a while, drain some oil out till it reads low, yes change the plug, sounds fouled to me from what you said, but if the oil is good just drain some out, then after you change the plug, check it if you need to put a little back in then do it.

Always remember when checking your oil, do it when the motor is warm and wait 5 mins, after you shut it off, for the oil to drain back down from the top end.

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 06:08 PM
So the plug may have gotten fouled from what happened today right? The bike is less than 2 months old and has been running flawlessly all the way up until what happened today

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 06:10 PM
i'm hoping i can just drain a little oil and it'll work as good as new *crosses fingers*

H440exconfused
08-21-2003, 06:11 PM
So the plug may have gotten fouled from what happened today right? The bike is less than 2 months old and has been running flawlessly all the way up until what happened today

Yes, you fouled it with too much oil, you should keep a spare plug in your tool kit on your bike, if you foul on in the trail you will be sorry for a $3.00 plug, so buy two when you get one

H440exconfused
08-21-2003, 06:14 PM
i'm hoping i can just drain a little oil and it'll work as good as new *crosses fingers*

You sound really crunched for time, but its fine you can wait till you get to your riding spot, it only takes 1 minute to change, you should full inspect your quad befor you ride everytime anyways. I check mine after every ride by washing it and polishing it, while you are wiping it down you can visibly inspect the whole thing. just a tip. but just drain some oil, get some plugs and go rippin.

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 07:19 PM
h440exconfused, thanks for the help bro!

H440exconfused
08-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Anytime

K2Snow
08-22-2003, 09:57 AM
h440, i let the quad sit all night, went to start it up 5 minutes ago and it is running fine, i guess i don't need to do anything. hopefully the prob doesn't come back after running it for like 10 minutes. well, off to the dunes!

4wheelboy
08-22-2003, 10:03 AM
h440, i let the quad sit all night, went to start it up 5 minutes ago and it is running fine, i guess i don't need to do anything. hopefully the prob doesn't come back after running it for like 10 minutes. well, off to the dunes!

ihave a question do u go to the dunes with e
stock 300ex tires?:confused:

own2424
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
ihave a question do u go to the dunes with e
stock 300ex tires?:confused: He can, but just gotta run low PSI

K2Snow
08-23-2003, 07:51 PM
yes, i ride out at pismo with a bone stock 300. never had a problem keeping up with anyone unless we are at the drags. plus, the sand out at pismo usually isn't that bad. i can jump the thing and run it just as well as anyone else out there, don't need no mods :cool: