PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil?

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
OK, stupid question of the day. Is it possible to put too much oil in your quad? I started up my quad with the fuel reservoir off when I went to check my oil. I realized after about 30 seconds that the fuel reservoir thing was off so I turned it on. Keep in mind the quad was running fine even with that switch off. I turned off the quad, checked the oil, added some oil. When I checked it, I went pretty far over the top notch on the dipstick. I turned the quad back on, everything was fine for about 10 seconds, then it stalled. Now the thing doesn't wanna run for nothing, simply turns on and sputters to death and will barely stay on with me revving it. As soon as I let go of the throttle, it dies. Now, would this be because I ran it with the fuel line turned off for a couple of seconds, or because I filled ti up with too much oil? Stupid question, I know. But please help.

UglyMotha™
08-21-2003, 12:40 PM
yes it is possibel to put to much oil in you bike that why they have the full notch on the dipstick instead of just filling it to the brim also i sounds as if you problem lies in the fuel area you might try changing you plug ya might have fouled it out also make sure you have plenty of fuel and that the switch is indeed turned on

stupid driver
08-21-2003, 01:26 PM
i think it has something to do w/ the pressure of the oil. Too much pressure can be bad

08-21-2003, 02:13 PM
s oyour saying he meesed his sheot up?:confused:

zephead400ex
08-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Hope you weren't using Mobil! That chit is expensive!

peace

JOEX
08-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Running the motor with the fuel selector will not hurt it. If i'm not going to riding for awhile I usually fire it up, turn off the fuel and let it idle till it dies to empty the carb of fuel.

As for overfilling the oil tank I don't know what damage might occur but I doubt it will fry the motor if it is only for a short period of time. If it was run for any length of time there might be a problem. With automotive engines if there is too much oil in the pan the crank and rods dip into it and cause it to foam then the oil pump is sucking up oil and air which is not good.
I don't think the same principle applies to the 400 though.

I suggest draining the tank and crankcase then start over.

Joe