PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain replacement

F-16Guy
08-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Could someone give me a quick overview of chain removal procedures? What needs to come apart (besides the top end), and are there any special tools/tricks to make it easier? I'm guessing that once the top end is apart, I need to take the clutch cover off, remove the clutch plates/basket, and fish the chain out over the end of the crank shaft so that I can pull it out. Is there anything more to it? I'll be doing the teardown tonight. Thanks in advance.:cool:
P.S.- It's my buddy's bike, mine's running strong!

sickmojave
08-21-2003, 07:33 AM
Download a manual free over at sweetquads.com it may help;)

F-16Guy
08-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Nobody in the history of exriders.com has ever changed a cam chain?? Man, those must be some quality chains.:bandit:

pnut420
08-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Nobody in the history of exriders.com has ever changed a cam chain?? Man, those must be some quality chains.:bandit:

Sorry I dont know any more about it then the manual does. Just wait a few hours someone will give you a how to, or do a search on here. "timing chain removal" or something like that

stupid driver
08-21-2003, 01:30 PM
im pretty sure it involves removing the clutch components, but im not 100% on that. All i know is it took me forever to get that chain off when i took apart my motor :mad:

nakomis0
08-21-2003, 05:29 PM
replaced my chain within the last week. they want u to use a special tool to remove some nuts.

What u for sure need is an impact wrench. You know the rest it looks like.

cals400ex
08-21-2003, 06:11 PM
yeah you can download a manual from sweetquads.com. i downloaded my manual and it says the files are corupt. i don't know what that means. my brother is going to try and get it tomorrow. sorry, don't know what is needed with the chain installation.