PDA

View Full Version : Fcr carb ??

stupid driver
08-21-2003, 06:53 AM
I am about to hook up my K&N filter w/ an outerwear up to my EX. I am running a 165 main jet right now. IDK what the pilot is, Sparks jetted it for me. My question is, will i need a 168 or 170 jet. And, will i need to bump up my pilot, or just mess w/ the air screw a little. Any replies would help.

Thanks

JD400exrider
08-21-2003, 08:02 AM
What air filter were you running before? If you were running a better flowing filter than stock like a Uni i would think you should be fine switching to a K&N. Give sparks a call if in question. There the ones that jet it.

stupid driver
08-21-2003, 08:19 AM
i was running the stock filter w/ no airbox. I took out my pilot, and it is a 52. Im not worried about changin the main jet, i got a 168 and 170 on the way from C&D, but i am a little shaky on the pilot, idk if i need to up it or not. Will just messin w/ the fuel screw and needle jet be enough?
Thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
The pilot jet is just fine that is the same size pilot that I put in the fcr carb for almost all aplications

pnut420
08-21-2003, 10:32 AM
My brother is running a K$N with supertrapp XR only exhaust and he is running a 165/52 and it runs pretty much perfect, it cuts out a little on the low, so I think I need to mess with the clip, I guess I need to go up a notch or two. I havent even toched the air/fuel screw, isnt running rich or lean, so thats good:cool:

skemp
08-21-2003, 08:28 PM
I run a 165 main with OCEM-P needle and 52 pilot on my 416 with top end cam, race porting, and full exhaust with no airbox lid. Going to put the 168 back in because it isn't as hot as it has been here for a while now. If you have a stock motor, you are already feeding it too much juice.

stupid driver
08-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by skemp
I run a 165 main with OCEM-P needle and 52 pilot on my 416 with top end cam, race porting, and full exhaust with no airbox lid. Going to put the 168 back in because it isn't as hot as it has been here for a while now. If you have a stock motor, you are already feeding it too much juice.

no, its deffinately running lean. It pops on deceleration, and the plug is white.

skemp
08-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Something sounds fishy to me man. Sure you don't have any air leaks around your carb boots? A 52 pilot should be more than enough for your application. Where is the fuel screw at? If it is cranked all the way in, that would explain your popping on decel. Also, a leaky pipe-silencer junction will cause popping. Look over everything real well to make sure it is sealed and tight, and then set the fuel screw to 2 1/2 turns out. This seems to be a good starting point on the 52 pilot. Put the needle in the middle position, and then give it a try. Also, look at what needle they gave you. Sparks used to put an iffy needle in the carbs they prepped for EX's, and have changed to a different needle that works much better.

Oh, and don't worry about the plug color. I haven't seen a bit of color on my plugs in the three years I have had my quad. Using race fuel, I get red or yellow, but no brown. :) It is just due to all the additives and detergents in today's pump fuels. Good luck.

stupid driver
08-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by skemp
Something sounds fishy to me man. Sure you don't have any air leaks around your carb boots? A 52 pilot should be more than enough for your application. Where is the fuel screw at? If it is cranked all the way in, that would explain your popping on decel. Also, a leaky pipe-silencer junction will cause popping. Look over everything real well to make sure it is sealed and tight, and then set the fuel screw to 2 1/2 turns out. This seems to be a good starting point on the 52 pilot. Put the needle in the middle position, and then give it a try. Also, look at what needle they gave you. Sparks used to put an iffy needle in the carbs they prepped for EX's, and have changed to a different needle that works much better.

Oh, and don't worry about the plug color. I haven't seen a bit of color on my plugs in the three years I have had my quad. Using race fuel, I get red or yellow, but no brown. :) It is just due to all the additives and detergents in today's pump fuels. Good luck.

thanks for the info. I called carb parts warehouse, and they said that they think im running lean. I guess i will find out when i get my motor back.

skemp
08-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying that you can't run a larger main, because there are some rare instances where a motor will eat more fuel than another, but I think something might be up. You can always stick a fatter jet in there and it won't hurt a thing even if it doesn't help. I had my stock carb all the way up to a 185 main and it still ran lean a long time ago, and then I found a very, very small crack in my intake boot that was making it run lean basically no matter what, and crappy on top of that. Where is your motor by the way?

If you need more help with anything else, just PM me, and I will keep checking this thread as well. :)

stupid driver
08-23-2003, 05:19 AM
my motor is in pieces :( :( the rod blew. The engine was trashed. I had to order one from service honda. It was 2 grand compared to 2500 for it to be fixed. I have been waiting for almost 2 months for my new motor though. Kinda pisses me off. I will look into the air boot crack thing though. What should i look for ?

Thanks

skemp
08-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Just basically cracks in the rubber of the air boot. It comes with age and will happen to any quad. There is also the possibility that it is leaking at the boot to head junction as well.

Sucks your rod went. :( Just an idea, but wait until you get your motor back to worry so much about the jetting. Perhaps something else was wrong with it if the rod ended up giving out. It sounded like you had your quad on hand to ride when the thread was started.