PDA

View Full Version : K&N filter cleaning?

300EXrider02
08-21-2003, 06:48 AM
here is a link where I posted a pic of my K&N filter, is brownish redish, and wondering if I have to clean it, or if it is supposed to be white not brown...press the attachment on that

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offroadatv&Number=1173157&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

300exOH
08-21-2003, 06:55 AM
I'd clean it. It should be red. I'd get a K&N filter recharger kit. It will have instructions with a special cleaner made especially for cloth filters and the proper oil also. I think the kit is about $20 but it'll last a couple of cleanings.

stupid driver
08-21-2003, 07:08 AM
The recharger is ten bucks from rocky mountain

300EXrider02
08-21-2003, 07:24 AM
ya I have the recharger, just wondering if I should break it out:p

but I think I will, thanks

Ex'r Dave
08-21-2003, 03:52 PM
I think your money would be better spent on a new UNI air filter than recharging your K&N. Your K&N filter flows alot of air and dirt. That dirt will have your bike smoking in no time. Just some advice form the new kid.

JOEX
08-21-2003, 04:33 PM
The pic isn't good enough to make a direct comment on it.
If there are white areas there isn't enough oil on it, hope there weren't any white areas when you installed it. A clean and properly oiled filter will be all red. Supposedly a slightly dirty K&N works better than a perfectly clean one, figure that one out...

Joe

300EXrider02
08-22-2003, 04:12 AM
well I cleaned it because it was nasty brown....flows a lot better now and I oiled it up nicley, thanks

Doibugu2
08-22-2003, 04:35 AM
I read the box of my recharge kit last night. It actually says on the box, its okay for the filter to be dirty. It actually helps it filter dirt.

But how dirty is too dirty?

MOFO
08-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I read the box of my recharge kit last night. It actually says on the box, its okay for the filter to be dirty. It actually helps it filter dirt.

But how dirty is too dirty?

I've been wondering this myself... I have a FIPK on my truck and I think its time for a cleaning, but then again, I guess I want SOME dirt on it.... :confused:

08-22-2003, 05:47 AM
IMproperly maintaned K&N filters will allow dirt thru. I"ve been running K&N filters for 8 years and haven't had a problem yet.

Some people also wonder why there chain snapped. I mean i only used it for 4 years and never oiled it... Must be a POS chain....:rolleyes:

Recharger kit is the only way to clean and oil a K&N...:blah:

He11 my K&N sat in 3 inches of mud & water at hatfield and my motor is runnin great.

L.Vegas400
08-22-2003, 06:03 AM
i have a comment on K&N. these are some people that really stand behind their product. my pickup filter was way over due for a cleaning(i mean you couldnt see the metal screen from the mud, sand and oil) i removed the filter and to my horror the filter had drooped down and rubbed on the box in which it sets creating 4 holes on 4 ribs. the holes were about 1.5 inches long by about .25 wide.:eek: i called K&N and told the lady my situation, she said what is your addy, i told her, then she says there is a new filter and attachment pieces on the way to you. the stock k&n replacement filter is $50 and this is one of the bigggg ones from a generation II kit. im guessing about $80-$90 bucks worth of free filter. just had to share my story....

freebie....freebie....

Doibugu2
08-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400

freebie....freebie....

I hate that saying.

I think on the 400, that engine is bulletproof enough, as long as you change you oil regularly you could probably run a nylon stocking over the intake.

08-22-2003, 06:36 AM
I hate that saying.

I think on the 400, that engine is bulletproof enough, as long as you change you oil regularly you could probably run a nylon stocking over the intake.

I thought you give up wearin panty hoe's and dresses Doug???

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/gorgeous%20chic.gif

Doibugu2
08-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I thought you give up wearin panty hoe's and dresses Doug???

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/gorgeous%20chic.gif

Only during the week, because work said it wasn't appropiate. But on the weekends, I let it all hang out!:D

MOFO
08-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Only during the week, because work said it wasn't appropiate. But on the weekends, I let it all hang out!:D

I bet those WV locals from McDougal county would like to know this information.. :D