PDA

View Full Version : One of my teachers is being charged for murder

ryanh250ex
08-20-2003, 05:08 PM
crazy, aint it?

CBA TEACHER ARRESTED IN MURDER OF WOMAN FRIEND; DRUGS SUSPECTED

OCEAN GROVE -- A schoolteacher stabbed an Ocean Grove woman to death Sunday night after she threatened to reveal his crack cocaine habit to school officials, authorities said.

Matthew R. Dailey of Brick, a 30-year-old Latin teacher at Christian Brothers Academy in Middletown, is charged with murdering 47-year-old Linda Weed, said Monmouth County Prosecutor John Kaye. Dailey is being held in lieu of $1 million bail at the county jail in Freehold Township.

Dailey and Weed had developed a drug-and-money arrangement, Kaye said.

Dailey would bring money to Weed, who would purchase drugs for the two to use in her Central Avenue apartment about once a month, Kaye said. Dailey also contributed toward her rent, he said.

The two were using crack together Sunday afternoon and evening and started to argue, Kaye said. Weed told Dailey she would reveal his habit to officials at the private high school in the Lincroft section, the prosecutor said.

"It is claimed that she became aggressive toward him and argumentative," Kaye said. Weed pulled out a kitchen knife and struggled with Dailey, who managed to gain possession of the weapon, the prosecutor said. Dailey then "hit" her with the knife, Kaye said.

When Neptune police arrived at about 6:30 p.m. after receiving calls about a woman screaming for help, they discovered her body under a pile of pillows, Kaye said. Weed apparently had been stabbed more than once and had a large cut across her throat, according to Kaye.

Dailey was found, with blood on his body and clothing, walking a few blocks away near the Great Auditorium, Kaye said.

Former student stunned

"I can't believe it," said Angelo Petraglia, 18, of Manasquan, who graduated this year from CBA and who was a Latin student under Dailey for four years. "He gave me the Latin award for the best Latin student, and I hugged him.

"He was a great teacher but an even greater person. He offered so much wisdom to students. I just can't see him doing this. I can't even see him doing drugs."

Information on the extent of Weed's wounds and official cause of death will not be available until the autopsy is completed today, Kaye said.

Dailey lives on Millbrook Road, a quiet, tree-lined street in Brick's Riviera Beach section. A man who answered the door and said he was Dailey's brother said the family did not want to talk to a reporter.

Representatives of Christian Brothers Academy were not available for comment. Kaye did not know what subject Dailey taught but said he had a bachelor's degree in classical civilization from Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pa.

At a court hearing yesterday before Superior Court Judge Ira E. Kreizman, Dailey's attorney, Frederick E. Popovitch, argued for a reduction in his client's bail from $1 million to $200,000. He said a reduced bail for Dailey, who has no prior convictions except for driving while intoxicated years ago, would be more manageable for his family.

But Assistant Prosecutor Peter Warshaw, who had presented Popovitch with a complaint charging Dailey with murder, said additional charges could be filed, including weapons and resisting arrest offenses. The additional charges warranted keeping Dailey's bail at $1 mil-lion, Warshaw said.

Kreizman said he thought the $1 million bail was appropriate in view of the serious charges and possible additional charg-es.

Dailey, wearing handcuffs and prison-issued clothing, his brown hair mussed, appeared tired and kept his head bowed throughout most of the hear-ing.

Popovitch declined to comment afterward.

Victim an avid gardener

Kaye said Dailey and Weed knew one another for three or four years, though Dailey re-cently had visited less frequent-ly. Kaye said Weed called Dail-ey several times a few days before Sunday, asking him to come over.

The yellow crime-scene tape wrapped around the gray house where Weed lived drew curious neighbors yesterday morning. No one knew exactly what had happened, and most declined comment.

"I never talked to her, but I would see her out there in the garden," said Alice Hoffmann, 77, of Heck Avenue. She said Weed worked diligently each morning on the extensive flow-er gardens and potted plants that surround the house.

Weed would visit the Ocean Grove Flower & Gift shop on Main Avenue about three times a week to buy new plants for her gardens, said Tom Rechlin, shop owner.

"Her gardening was her passion," Rechlin said, describing how she would buy "whatever her whim was at the moment."

Weed was an outgoing person, chatting with neighbors and waving hello to people passing by, said Rashon Brown, 27, and his girlfriend, Courtney Wells. The two Ocean Grove residents paused by the house as they strolled down Central Avenue.

"She was always talking to everybody," Brown said.

when i found out.........i was simply shocked. i had never actually had one of his classes, but just by seeing him in the hallway, he looked like a harmless guy.just goes to show ya that you cant judge a book by it's cover.

Pappy
08-20-2003, 05:11 PM
well that aint good:confused2

CHAUNCY
08-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Thats some crazy chit:eek2:

ryanh250ex
08-20-2003, 05:32 PM
i guess the topic name got your attention....2 replies in 7 mins is pretty good.

for those of you that dont know, CBA is like one of the finer Christian schools in the nation (there's 10 or so around the US). up until recently, my school had a reputation for it's promising graduates, excellent sports teams (our track team hasn't lost a dual meet in almost 30 years....if they win every meet for the next year or so they'll have the national record for most consecutive wins), and an excellent teaching staff. the schools are taught by both laymen and La Sallean (i hope i'm spelling that right.....it's the order of brothers that followed St.Jean Baptiste de la Salle ) brothers.

this is a major embarassment to all the students and teachers there, myself included. none of us would have ever figured that this guy would do such a thing.

Flyin#3-1/2
08-20-2003, 05:34 PM
well that ain't good:ermm:

well that's a reason for me to not trust any of my teachers:D

and that definately shows you can't trust ANYONE....someone's always watching....:uhoh: :uhoh: .....

ghost_ryder
08-20-2003, 05:37 PM
thats messed up :ermm:

JOEX
08-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Sad story.... :(

Thing is that kind of chit happens every day. The only reason it made the news is because the people involved are supposedly "pillars of society" (teachers, police, fire, goverment oficials etc...)

There is more I could go into on this subject but I choose not to because I don't have the time or patients to deal with it right now and this isn't the appropriate forum.

Joe

CowsBitePeople
08-20-2003, 06:03 PM
waaaaaaaatt....thats crazy:(

08-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Weed was an outgoing person

his last name is weed? ... oh man :D thats too funny

08-20-2003, 06:05 PM
oh yeah i forgot to say thats messed up

lol weed... lmfao

AtvMxRider
08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY

Yeah I agree:scary:

free_rider20
08-21-2003, 01:25 AM
One of our teachers got arrested a couple weeks ago. Her and her husband had a growing opperation in their basement with quite a bit of weed.

zzbudzz
08-21-2003, 01:34 AM
bad times .....i'm glad i never got a hold of them good drugs back in the day

JTRtrx250r
08-21-2003, 01:39 AM
chitty........but if someone came at me w/ a knife and I got it from them I probably stab em back..........just not where I could kill them.....maybe just cut off an ear or a hand.............lol.....j/k,but it makes ya wonder what you would do:eek2: :huh :blah:

DEAL
08-21-2003, 01:54 AM
You better not act up in his class.......

250x#93
08-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY

Yep:huh

Glow Plug
08-21-2003, 03:18 AM
:eek2: thats crazy :eek2: And you think you know somebody huh?

ryanh250ex
08-21-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
You better not act up in his class.......

welllllllll, i think his teaching days are over, so i dont think you gotta worry about that anymore.

optikid123
08-21-2003, 05:41 AM
a couple of my friends had him for latin, it pretty shocking that a thing like that would come from cba cause like ryan said is a very good school and all.

400exTN
08-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
i guess the topic name got your attention....2 replies in 7 mins is pretty good.

for those of you that dont know, CBA is like one of the finer Christian schools in the nation (there's 10 or so around the US). up until recently, my school had a reputation for it's promising graduates, excellent sports teams (our track team hasn't lost a dual meet in almost 30 years....if they win every meet for the next year or so they'll have the national record for most consecutive wins), and an excellent teaching staff. the schools are taught by both laymen and La Sallean (i hope i'm spelling that right.....it's the order of brothers that followed St.Jean Baptiste de la Salle ) brothers.

this is a major embarassment to all the students and teachers there, myself included. none of us would have ever figured that this guy would do such a thing.

This is very sad to hear!

I wonder if your high school and mine are part of the same organization. I graduated a while back from Christian Brothers High School in Memphis, TN.

K2Snow
08-21-2003, 10:44 AM
I went to a private school last year and my marine bio teacher got charged for statuatory (sp?) rape. he supposedly had sex with a 16 yr old girl twice during school hours and once at his house. i'm going to a big public school now for my senior year. i could only handle that private school for a year, it sucked.

ryanh250ex
08-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by 400exTN
This is very sad to hear!

I wonder if your high school and mine are part of the same organization. I graduated a while back from Christian Brothers High School in Memphis, TN.

i imagine it is. as i said earlier, there a few other schools affiliated with mine around the nation (and also around the world). i'm assuming the memphis one is, but i'm not certain.

ryanh250ex
08-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
I went to a private school last year and my marine bio teacher got charged for statuatory (sp?) rape. he supposedly had sex with a 16 yr old girl twice during school hours and once at his house. i'm going to a big public school now for my senior year. i could only handle that private school for a year, it sucked.

funny you mention that. one of the other teachers in my school was arrested for having sex with a 16 yr old girl last year. now with this murder accusation with another teacher, the CBA teaching staff is getting a tarnished name.

today i recieved a letter from the school. it mentioned that they had fired mr.dailey and that he had always passed the background check, and it was the same check that all of the other teachers have had done. also, they said his performance in the classroom when evaluations of the teaching staff were made led everyone to believe that he was a truly great man. that is obviously not the case here, however.

TC17
08-21-2003, 12:25 PM
that's sad. that's why her name was "Weed".

ryanh250ex
08-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by TC17
that's sad. that's why her name was "Weed".

lol. sad, but funny. that and the fact that she was an "avid gardener" :eek2:

oh yeah...........BUMP