PDA

View Full Version : DynoJet Jetting

Steelerz37
08-20-2003, 11:11 AM
hey guys, I know this has been asked a lot but I need some help.
I ordered a K&N JetKit from rocky mountain, but they sent me a DynoJet Jet Kit, which is fine, but I have no clue what sizes to use. And I open it to find out there is no pilot jets... I assumed there were, but I assumed wrong...Do the K&N's by chance come with pilot jets? OK anyway I need to know where I should start. The kit has the following size jets:
All DYNOJET JETS
134, 138, 142, 146, 155, 160, 165, 170

The 400ex has the the following mods:
DMC Fullsystem Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
and will possibly remove the choke while the carb is off.

and from what I could find out, my elevation in about 1300 feet

So if you guys could please give me an idea of where to start, please include the pilot jet size so I can go pick one or two up, along with your opinion, if any, on removing the choke.

Again I am sorry for asking something that has been asked so many times.

bustedtire
08-20-2003, 03:05 PM
you have stage 1-2 kit (no pilot jet). use the needle they gave you and follow their directions. it'll tell you to go 3rd notch down for e-clip on needle and 170 main jet. it's worked for me so far. everyone on here says it's too rich but she never blows black and hasn't fouled the plug. if you leave the airbox lid on then try 165. the reason for some disagreement is that you're at 1300 feet, i'm 1200 and a lot of these people are 3000 ft and up which on average require a drop in main jet size of 5-10.

oh, and i'm running a k&n, no lid, wb rev/timing box, wb e-series slip on, 170 main and 3rd notch down on dynojet needle.

JOEX
08-20-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm no expert......

I'm pretty sure the Dynojet and K&N are the same thing.

Start with the 165 or and work your way down.
40 or 42 pilot. 42 or 45 pilot if you remove the choke.
It did come with the needle too right? Be sure to use it.

Joe

hondarider2006
08-20-2003, 03:19 PM
ok well this is what I did......I did what the paper said to do, and it told me to run a 170 with the lid off, and needle at the 3rd position. It ran pretty good, maybe a little rich, but damn....it rained one day, and that made me put the lid back on. The paper says to put a 146 main jet in with the lid on. THIS IS WRONG! My plug was ghost white:confused2 I went to a 160, and it was still pretty white. I went to a 165 and its almost perfectly tan. Maybe a little darker, but I would rather that than too lean. Just my $0.02 look at my sig. for my mods.

Glamis400ex
08-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Steelerz37,

I had a 160 dynajet, 40 pilot, no choke, K&N, airbox lid removed, stock needle 4th clip from top.

less than 1500 feet.

Glamis

cals400ex
08-20-2003, 05:53 PM
i would try the 160 and 155. if i had to bet on one being closer, i would bet on the 155. you can't always go by looking at the plug because the additives in some of the fuel make it nearly impossible to do a plug chop. also, when you checked your plug, were you cruising around and then checked it or did you have it at maxed out for 10 to 15 seconds and pull in the clutch and shut it off as you were at full speed? if you were just cruising around and then checked the plug it makes sense that is is white. the stock pilot jet would be too small for sure giving you a lean mixture which would make the plug look white. also, possibly your needle is too lean giving you a lean mixture thus making the plug look white. when doing a plug chop always use a new plug and take off flooring it and leave it maxed out for several seconds and while your maxed, pull in the clutch and shut her off. you can warm your bike up using your old plug but put the new one in when your ready to floor the heck out of it. your mainjet is primarily being used when your at 3/4 to full throttle.

tryken
08-20-2003, 06:10 PM
I am at about 1000 feet, have a k&n and a white bros. slip on with the airbox lid on and use a dynojet 146 and have no problems I have been thinking about going up one size just to see how it runs then.

Steelerz37
08-21-2003, 02:55 PM
thanks guys for all your input

I ended up with
155 Main
42 Pilot
3rd clip on the needle

I left the choke in for now, airbox lid is on. I wanted to get a 40 pilot, but my dad got me a 42 instead, i was a little worried since I was leaving the choke in but it seems ok.. It runs really good doesnt seem to do anything strange anywhere. I did notice on the top it seems to cut in and out, I think this would be the rev limiter? I havent felt it before until now. What else could it be? I felt it in about 4th, went to 5th and took off and didnt feel it there at all. The slight backfire I hear when decelerating makes me think its still a little lean, so I think I might try the 160 tomorrow if I get the chance.

cals400ex
08-21-2003, 06:36 PM
i would take it out and floor it for a while. then pull in the clutch and kill it. now check the plug to see what color it is. you may need to get a new plug first but try it with your old plug in. i would bet its just your jetting unless you reved it way to high and hit the limiter.

cals400ex
08-21-2003, 06:38 PM
go ahead and try to go up on the main jet if checking the plug does no good. i just need to figure out how the dynojets compare to keihins. i hear that the dynojets are about one size bigger than the keihins but i guess i should not be saying that because i don't know that for a fact.

Steelerz37
08-22-2003, 02:08 AM
alright, after work tonight i'll put the 160 in and let you know how it is...then I'll put the new plug in and see what color it is.

ewalker302
08-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by tryken
I am at about 1000 feet, have a k&n and a white bros. slip on with the airbox lid on and use a dynojet 146 and have no problems I have been thinking about going up one size just to see how it runs then.

hey tryken

what kind of improvement did you feel when switching to a 14 tooth front sprocket??

our location and mods are very similar & I have been debating on whether or not to try a 14 tooth. Did it noticably hurt your top end.

I have a MegamaxII (discs) with the lid on (mud) and I also am running the DJ 146 main jet. When I put in the DJ 155 I lost power.

And why do the dynojet kits come with main jets smaller than stock, but nothing in between 146 and 155?? I think a DJ 150 or 148 would be perfect, as I still am experiencing a little bit of backfire on decel.

If you get yours tuned in good let me know how you set it & I'll do the same (neeedle pos, air screw)

Thanks
:bandit: