PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice!

NoWingNoPrayer
08-20-2003, 10:05 AM
i just learned that putting Dry ice in your cars airbox is a cheap way to temporarily improve power. im thinking about trying it on my 400. since i live in florida and its august its 85 degrees out so the air isnt that cold. just wondering if anyone has tried it.

jetting problems may occur?

stupid driver
08-20-2003, 02:12 PM
make sure ya rejet. You will have extremely cold air going into your intake, therefore you will have to bump up the jetting. Idk tho, wouldnt Co2 be a downside in an engine? doesnt it help put out fires, so wouldnt it cause you to have a weaker burn?

NoWingNoPrayer
08-20-2003, 03:30 PM
yeah it will give you slightly less oxygen than normal, because there is only 30% oxygen in normal air...i think thats right.. wich may even make it so you dont need to rejet it because of less gas being burned.. but the expansion should rule that out.

ill try it some time this weekend when i pull the cob webs off the 400 and give you some feedback.:D

perfect burn ratio is 14.7 to 1
dry ice would be like 12 to 1

big-guy
08-20-2003, 04:35 PM
If you put dry ice in the airbox, as it "melts" it will increase the amount of co2 in the air, displacing oxygen. There's more to it than just dumping ice in a box.

YZROOSTINYA
08-20-2003, 11:06 PM
typically when they use DRY ICE, they SURROUND the airbox. You DO NOT want the actual evaporated Carbon Dioxide to enter the path of the airflow as OXYGEN is what you need. Carbon Dioxide is no good.

cheesy350
08-21-2003, 03:32 AM
:scary:

wilkin250r
08-21-2003, 04:07 AM
I've never heard of this dry ice theory, but from my knowledge of thermodynamics, the arguments make sense.

Dry ice SURROUNDING your airbox will cool your intake. Colder air is more dense, meaning you have more oxygen per unit volume, meaning you can burn more fuel and create more power, although I doubt the cost is worth it, dry ice is pretty expensive for a 4% increase in power.

Dry ice IN your airbox will displace air with carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide does not support combustion, so you would probably LOSE power.

Like I said, I've never heard of it, so there could be a completely different set of dynamics that I'm not seeing, so it's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but the whole thing just doesn't make sense.

JOEX
08-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Years ago they sold these canisters (maybe still do) for automotive uses that the fuel line ran through and you put dry ice in. Now I think it was more of a band-aid to treat a symptom rather than fixing the problem.

Joe

ewalker302
08-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Lots of drag racers (cars) do this to cool down their intake manifolds between runs especially on turbo or supercharged engines b/c of the excess heat they produce.
Because of what wilken said (colder=denser=more oxygen to burn). Dry ice so no water gets into any electronics.

Just my 2 cents, but even if you did figure out a way to cool the air charge on your quad I dont think you could tell the difference
. :bandit:

jcs327
08-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Dry ice will decrease your O2 (oxygen) going into the intake. By the way, normal air is 21% oxygen.

bmw500hp
08-23-2003, 05:55 AM
The title of this thread was dry ice...so here is another bit of trivia in regards to dry ice.

Food for thought................

Sprint cars use Dry sumps to contain up to 5 or 6 (gallons) of oil. First off if you doubt the reasons for a Pingry style tank, think this one through a bit. You are talking about a Race engine under 425 cubic inches producing +/- 800hp.

In these dry sump tanks there is known to be a compartment where dry ice is used to cool the oil.

Obviously these engines are water cooled as well.