PDA

View Full Version : what to get?

Flyin#3-1/2
08-20-2003, 08:44 AM
can someone help me with what i should get next on my 400ex? and not spend a lot of money? i do a lot of trail riding, i want to start jumping a lot more, and do MX next spring. here's the stuff i have:

Works Triple Rates Shocks w/Rezzies
AC Pro Peg Nerf bars
One Industry seat cover black
K&N Filter & Precharger
Dyno Jet kit
AC Bumper
PEP EZ-Pull clutch lever and perch
PB Block-Off
DG Full Chassis Skid Plate
DG Swingarm Skidplate
Big Gun Slip-on w/ Race Core
WB Rev box
14 tooth front sprocket
Case Saver

and some other minor stuff. so what else should i get for it that won't cost me a couple grand? like i said i want to do more jumping, and i do a lot of trail riding, and i'll be doing MX next year.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-20-2003, 09:26 AM
well since you already have the suspension and nerfs. I would look at maybe doing a 416 kit and a cam.

Glow Plug
08-20-2003, 09:43 AM
I would get your shocks rebuilt (I have heard you say they are wayy to stiff for you) then I would look into some interal motor mods like a cam, porting, piston etc etc

Flyin#3-1/2
08-20-2003, 09:51 AM
well the shocks are actually pretty nice, they feel so good when jumping, so i might leave them as they are. as for engine work, i'll probably get a small bore (not 416, yet:D ) with a high compression piston and maybe porting and polishing, but i heard you lose some bottom end when you do that? i may be wrong but that's what my friend told me. but i'll probably get a stage 1 cam and a headpipe. what full exhaust system should i get that gives all around good power and will last a long time?

dpizz450
08-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Flyin#3-1/2
well the shocks are actually pretty nice, they feel so good when jumping, so i might leave them as they are. as for engine work, i'll probably get a small bore (not 416, yet:D ) with a high compression piston and maybe porting and polishing, but i heard you lose some bottom end when you do that? i may be wrong but that's what my friend told me. but i'll probably get a stage 1 cam and a headpipe. what full exhaust system should i get that gives all around good power and will last a long time?

........sounds good to me......i heard sparks X-6 :confused: exhaust was the best for the 400ex

Flyin#3-1/2
08-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by YZrida
........sounds good to me......i heard sparks X-6 :confused: exhaust was the best for the 400ex

but i heard they have poor quality, like they rust easily and don't last long. help me out here, i heard they are the best too...but the quality part worries me.

Glow Plug
08-20-2003, 10:00 AM
what about some new tires?

MSL
08-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Get your suspension dialed in correctly and learn to ride your EX to its full potential. Then when you get some experience under your belt i would say get a big bore. If this is your first season racing MX.

speedy400
08-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by MSL
Get your suspension dialed in correctly and learn to ride your EX to its full potential. Then when you get some experience under your belt i would say get a big bore. If this is your first season racing MX. sounds like a good idea to me

wilkin250r
08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I don't see any mention of extended A-arms or axle. Of course, the a-arms are a double whammy, because you also have to add in the cost of getting your shocks rebuilt.

Guy400
08-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't see any mention of extended A-arms or axle. Of course, the a-arms are a double whammy, because you also have to add in the cost of getting your shocks rebuilt. :cuss: You stole my answer!!

Flyin#3-1/2
08-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
:cuss: You stole my answer!!

haha

yea that's what i was thinking, this winter getting +2 a-arms and getting all my shocks rebuilt and an axle. but right now i'm worrying about getting my quad to run normal:( the carb seems to be having some troubles, it sounds like the carb is backfiring, anyone know what could cause that?

Atreyu
08-20-2003, 03:00 PM
I would go with duncan, LRD, or sparks. For power stick with the engine builders pipes...