PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Starting Problem

apalusso
08-20-2003, 03:51 AM
I recently bought a 2001 400ex. I have had it for 1 year and has only been ridden 1 and that was a year ago. I tried to start the bike last week so I thought the battery died so I bought a new one. Now that the battery has been charged at the proper volts, it still won't turn over. Someone mentioned to me that the gas might be varnished, or the spark plug might be bad. What do you recommend I should do?

Rip_Tear
08-20-2003, 11:38 AM
1. Does it turn over?

2. It could be seized

3. It could need new gas

4. A new spark plug, or a cleaned one may be needed

5. What do you think your doing not riding your quad more often!? :huh

The440Exorcist
08-28-2003, 10:19 AM
well it could be the voltage regulator, selanoid, or the starter gears could be frozen

Pappy
08-28-2003, 10:21 AM
check and make sure you didnt blow the fuse when charging or jumpstarting...sometimes even hooking up the battery can blow it....ummm....you do have the battery hooked up correctly right?

08-28-2003, 11:07 AM
What do you mean when you say wont turn over?

If you meant the starter doesnt spin and you get NOTHING when you hit the starter button, then follow pappys or the exorcists advice.

If it turns the motor over and over but wont run, then follow rip tear and also check all the wire fittings etc.

08-28-2003, 01:53 PM
....4 strokes ...:confused2

apalusso
08-29-2003, 02:27 AM
My bike 400ex, when I hit the start button it will not turn over. The starter just makes the noise not the engine. As you can tell I am not that great at working on bikes but I am trying to learn more. But anyway, I just removed the spark plug last night and it was black. So I am looking at what people have said causes black spark plugs. Anyway any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Aaron

lil400exman
08-29-2003, 02:38 AM
does anyone think that since it sat for so long the the piston froze? you know rings stick to the cylinder wall? i know if ya dont pickle the cylinder it happens to dirtbikes so i dont know why a 400ex would be different. Try put some motor oil down into the cylinder in the sparkplug hole. not too much though just enough to get things un-stuck.............:)

Rip_Tear
08-29-2003, 08:39 AM
It could be like lil400exman said. I am not sure if your saying that the piston is not going up and down or not...

If you don't know if your piston is going up and down, you can take the plug out, put your hand up to the hole where the plug came out of, and hit the starter, if you fell the air movement, its turning over, if not... got to set 1. if it is go to set 2.

1. If the piston is not going up and down
-check the starter gears
-maybe the piston is frozen
-you may want to take it to a dealer or a mechanic...

2. If the piston is going up and down when you hit the starter
-get a new spark plug
-new gas
-you cleaned the carb right? Is it together right?
-is your gas on?
-are your gas lines clean?
-how about the air filter, is it clean? (are mice living in your quad?) :p

I hope that info helped, if you have aim, msn or something (I will check you profile after I post this) aim me or someone and we will see if we can help you out :D

PS. You are pulling in the clutch to start it right? Red button (kill switch) is set to run right?

apalusso
09-02-2003, 02:17 AM
Well the problem was fixed, thank God. It was only the spark plug. But thanks for all who gave me great advice. I really appreciate the help.

Aaron