PDA

View Full Version : 250r

300extreme#8
08-19-2003, 02:48 PM
i know a guy don't the street who might sell me his 250r,well it prob hasn't been rode in a year or longer so it has sat there very long not even cranked up,my dad said that was a bad thing he said the worst thing you can do to a quad is let it set for a year or so,so what should i do to make sure it's still in tip top shape,this will be my first 2-stroke and i've only rode afew and with a ragged out 250r will beat my quad so i won't know the diff. between a ragged and a good one so what kinda power should it put out,i'm not sure what year it is,but i have seen it in action and it would rip then

250rmike
08-19-2003, 04:39 PM
ok go over there get some gas and all the fluids if you know the guy see if you can fill her up and change the oil etc. then change the spark plug try sdtarting it up if its in good shape it should start fairly easy. i let my r sit since last october but when i finally got it back together about 2 wqeeks ago i changed all the fluids and put gas in the bike once it got gas through the carb it started on it second kick i just had to get that gas in and through the motor and it runs like a champ

wilkin250r
08-20-2003, 06:21 AM
It will require a couple hours of work, but for a 250r at a decent price it is well worth it.

Drain the old gas out of the tank.

Change the oil.

Drain the radiator and fill it up. It's ok with just water for now, but you want to put some anti-freeze into it as soon as you can.

Drain all the old fuel out of the carb. You shouldn't need to do a complete carb rebuilt at this time, simply draining it should work.

Change the spark plug.

Put some fresh gas into it, don't forget the premix oil. You don't need a full tank, but I would put at least 1 gallon into it.

Make sure the air filter is in good shape and installed properly. It may not be a bad idea to clean it, but that's kind of a hassle just to see if a bike runs.

Kick that mofo over.

I don't know how you start your quad, but on my 4-stroke, I pump the throttle twice, then pump it just as kick it, or pump it as I hit the start button. I never use the choke.

My 250r is quite a bit different. I use the choke, and I never touch the gas until it is running. It usually starts by the third kick. If I accidently pump the throttle out of habit, I have to kick that pos 30-40 times to get it to start.

250rmike
08-20-2003, 07:11 AM
yea i just put the choke on and kick it with no throttle i hate it when my dad trys to start my bike cause he is never wrong and he always just pushes the throttle in and when i tell him not to do that he gets all mad but yea dont push the throttle until it is running strong cause if you push it as soon as you start the bike it will just die

SlapNutz
08-20-2003, 07:13 AM
isit fass???:blah:

Bean
08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
maybe your bikes are weird, but mine fires up better if i pump it 3 times, and slightly pump the gas when i kick it

then i idle it for about 3min, then ride it around for about 10 slow, then start going

wilkin250r
08-21-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Bean
maybe your bikes are weird, but mine fires up better if i pump it 3 times, and slightly pump the gas when i kick it

then i idle it for about 3min, then ride it around for about 10 slow, then start going

Yeah, who knows. I've tried each method several times, and I've always found that it's very difficult to start if I pump the throttle first, or if I try to pump the throttle as I kick it.

On my four stroke, there is no way I can start it unless I DO pump the throttle.

Of course, this only applies to starting them cold. Once they are warm, it's a different story.

wilkin250r
08-21-2003, 04:19 AM
One thing to remember when you fire up that 250r (unless you've done it already) LET IT WARM UP.

I was out on a dune trip one time, and I saw a guy fire up his 250r, cold, and then take off screaming at full throttle. He got about 100 yards before his engine seized. The piston heated up much faster than the surrounding cylinder. The piston was expanding due to the heat, but the cylinder wasn't. Bad combination.

250rmike
08-21-2003, 06:10 AM
yeah i sometime take it for a slow ride to get everything heated up but i dont go full throttle. especially in cold wheather i usually just put around where i am riding at a few times until it warms up