PDA

View Full Version : Welders?

Texan32
08-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok, i have come to the conclusion that i need a welder. Ok, i don't NEED one, i can sustain life with out one, but don't tell my wife that :p . I cannot, i repeat CANNOT, stick weld. But, i can MIG. I am not however very educated in what to look for n a welder. SO, if anyone who is skilled in the welding field or someone who knows what to look for, please drop some suggestions. I am not looking for anything too big. I won't be welding 1/2" stainless steel plates or anything like that. So, anything.......

killed300ex
08-19-2003, 01:50 PM
one thing id recomejnd is getting a self dimming mask i will only weld if i have one last toime i didnt use it i got welders flash money well spent in my book
killed

AtvMxRider
08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
what does a self dimming helmet have to do with welders flash?

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 02:21 PM
I do a TON of mig welding, and I would recommend you look at Lincoln's mig welders. The newer ones use what is called "Diamond Core" technology. It makes for smoother welds, better penetration, and less spatter. They also have a wider "sweet spot", so you don't have to keep them adjusted quite so perfect. In fact, if you keep the wire speed on the lower side of the window, its almost like tig welding.

A Lincoln PowerMig 200 can be bought for around $1050 if you dicker and deal, or you can get a PowerMig 255 for about $1500. They're both worth every penny. The 200 would be more suited to the "quad frame" type of welding, but if you will EVER have to do any heavier welding, get the 255. They can both be turned down low enough to do light sheet metal.

www.lincolnelectric.com

Good Luck!

oldsandman
08-19-2003, 02:25 PM
The new Lincolns are a great welder! I've had miller mig and tig welders and just bought a new lincoln for my shop and everyone fights over who gets it.

99_400EX
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
i like miller MIG welders and lincolns for TIG thats just want my shop has had good ecperence with

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
For what its worth, the Miller welders were and still are great machines. If you've tried the new Lincolns, though, you'll throw rocks at the Millers. The startup arc on the Lincolns is MUCH better....... almost like using a square-wave tig welder. (like the Miller synchro-waves)

I've also been a little disappointed in Miller's service lately.

One neat little gadget that I got to demo lately, is an INVERTER. I did a demo with a Miller inverter that could be setup to be used as a stick or a tig welder. They are SWEET! Very portable! BUT, they are also very expensive!

JTRtrx250r
08-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by oldsandman
The new Lincolns are a great welder! I've had miller mig and tig welders and just bought a new lincoln for my shop and everyone fights over who gets it. yup,my pal just got a Lincoln and its great,hes learning to weld and doin a great job,they've come along way in the last few yrs,and anyone w/ the basic knowlage will have no problem,even the lil 110 welders are decent (for the noob I am):blah:

modracer5
08-19-2003, 02:57 PM
i have a syncrowave250 (liquid cooled tig), millermatic 250 (mig) and a miller 135 ( small mig 110volt). would not trade away my Blue!!!! If you are just gonna weld on your bike and around the house on a limited budget i would get with one of the smaller 110 volt migs like the miller 135. they get plenty hot for what you are wanting to do and you can take them with you to the track. you can weld to 1/2" with one if you preheat so it would not be a big deal for you from time to time to preheat if you need to get in the excess of 3/16"-1/4" material.

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey Modracer.....

Does your phone ring when you strike up an arc with your syncrowave? The high frequency tends to raise hell with electronic devices in close proximity to the welder. Keep that thing as far away from your computers as possible! LOL

killed300ex
08-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
what does a self dimming helmet have to do with welders flash?

before i bought my self dimming helmet half the time it would arc or id start it without my helmet and it lead to a serious case of welders flash for 3 or 4 days of extreme pain. ONce i got the self dimming i can keep it down all the time preventing welders flash just thought i would tell him i think its worth the money
killed

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Here's a little helpful info for anyone who does any TiG welding. Many people, suprisingly, do not know this.

NEVER use 2% Thoriated tungstens! Always get Lanthanated tungstens! A lot of welding supply places don't carry them, but ORDER THEM! The 2% tungstens emit radioactivity, and will eventually give you a mean case of skin cancer, even through gloves.

Don't find out the hard way!

modracer5
08-19-2003, 03:14 PM
Bongwater....you sure bout that i ahve never heard of that before??? i use 2% or pure. and no i have never had any problems with the electronics around the syncrowave....just my nextel phone!!!

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes, I'm 100% sure about that. A lot of people do not know, because the dork behind the counter at your local welding supply house probably doesn't know and doesn't tell anyone.

The 2% tungstens, when they reach the proper temp, become radioactive. This is especially true with the high frequency welders like your syncrowave. Like I said, a lot of places don't even stock the lanthanated tungstens, but its worth your life to order them. Hell, they really don't even cost too much more!

Sick0
08-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bongwater200
Here's a little helpful info for anyone who does any TiG welding. Many people, suprisingly, do not know this.

NEVER use 2% Thoriated tungstens! Always get Lanthanated tungstens! A lot of welding supply places don't carry them, but ORDER THEM! The 2% tungstens emit radioactivity, and will eventually give you a mean case of skin cancer, even through gloves.

Don't find out the hard way!

Just the light from the welder, will give you a radiation burn which can lead to skin cancer, all the smoke you breath in for from welding will give you throat, mouth, lung cancer and some othere diasease you don't want to here about. The High magnetic field prodused buy the welder has found to give you brand cancer. So now if the tungsten will give you cancer.

PS I've been flashed burn bad enough to go to the ER. I couldn't see for a couple of days and had to wear sun glass for a week , even inside. It gave me the worst headack and made me sick to my stomich.

Texan32
08-20-2003, 10:07 AM
well, thanks for the isight. I have been trying to look around. I am thinking about the Lincoln 135. Would this be a wise investment? Like i said. I don't need anything that can weld much bigger than 1/4 inch thich

bongwater200
08-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Texan32
well, thanks for the isight. I have been trying to look around. I am thinking about the Lincoln 135. Would this be a wise investment? Like i said. I don't need anything that can weld much bigger than 1/4 inch thich

The 135 will be just fine if all you will ever need to do is light material like quad stuff.

I am a firm believer, though, that welders are like pole barns. Aways get bigger than what you really need. Also, smaller welders are a lot more picky when it comes to wire speed and amperage. You have to keep them adjusted perfect all the time. Not much room for error.

modracer5
08-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Yea i agree with Bong.....you will be ok with the 135 but you do have to do alot of temp and speed adjustments....but once you get the hang of it it is not so bad. if plan to carry it with you like in your trailer to the track or whatever go with the 135 but if you don't i think you will be happier with a slightly larger unit!! That's the reason i bought my small miller was to carry it with me. Just remember that you can always turn a larger welder down...you can't turn a smaller unit up...

Also try calling around to some of your local welding suppliy shops...sometimes you can find a deal on a closeout machine or even find a demo or refurbed unit that they have for sale.

bongwater200
08-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Another thing you might want to check on...... a lot of places will let you "demo" a welder. They probably have a few on hand anyway that they send out to let people try them out to see if they like them. It would be more likely to find a demo unit in a larger welder, but you might find someone who will let you demo a 135.

skemp
08-20-2003, 08:35 PM
We recently picked up a Hobart Handler 135 at Sears for about $400. I guess I am not a welding guru, but I have quite a bit of experience welding, and for a small MIG, it works very well. Granted, I do not do anything heavy duty, but it works on quad frames and body work on cars/trucks.

HondaEXer
08-20-2003, 09:48 PM
The Hobart 135 is pretty good my dad just bought one and it works awsome