08-18-2003, 08:16 PM
thanks alot man:rolleyes:

.:01_eXrIdEr:.
08-18-2003, 08:17 PM
engine work, and stuff to back it up

Flyin#3-1/2
08-19-2003, 03:24 AM
stickers:eek2: .....LOTS of stickers!

nah jk, get a slip-on, jet kit, a good aftermarket air filter, rev box, and one of Curtis Sparks ignition advance thingers.

loudvalves
08-19-2003, 04:36 AM
We put a set of heavier clutch springs and clutch (Barnett) in my brother's 400ex and I don't know if it helped his topend but it really helped his holeshot.

Maxxed out
08-19-2003, 04:57 AM
Push the throttle farther and farther until it stops.. You will go faster.. much faster!:eek2:

Z400/400ex
08-19-2003, 07:08 AM
GO DOWN HILL!:devil:

zlam27
08-19-2003, 07:49 AM
put a banshee engine in it.

you will have to excuse the other guys, they just hate to admit that a 400ex is slow and will never be very fast (without spending hella $$). the faster you accept the fact that its better on trails than on the track, the better off you will be.

im just messin with ya guys, well mostly. i love my 400 but we all know they lack in the speed dept. its just not very cost effective to make it faster (not compared to some other machines anyway). they are great handling with a good deal of torque.

zach

cals400ex
08-19-2003, 07:53 AM
i would first make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly. if it isn't, you won't be fully opening the carb up which will make you loose a lot of speed. i would just put about 1/4 inch of play in the cable. the adjustment is right on the handlebars.

skidplate
08-19-2003, 01:00 PM
For $230 I opened the air box lid, rejetted and threw a aftermarket slip-on pipe on. The difference was very noticable.
For quicker on the bottom, slip a 14 tooth front sprocket. This helps but robs the top end in each gear.
JB

Maxxed out
08-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Hey Zlam27. Get this, It takes $1500 in motor mods in a 400EX to keep up with a banshee in the sand. However, it takes $1500 in suspension mods for a banshee to hang with a stock 400EX on a good MX track. You better re-think how great a banshee really is! :p

jokerman_28
08-19-2003, 04:10 PM
while your thinking how "great" a banshee is...consider the reliability of a banshee while your rebuildin your banshee for the 8th time in a week. they are not reliable machines. for reliablity you CANNOT beat the 400ex.

zlam27
08-20-2003, 06:30 AM
first of all, i dont recall ever saying the banshee was "great", i merely said it was fast (and i dont care what brand you like, you have to admit its fast). before anyone tries tellin me about a banshee, make sure you have one. i had one, i sold it and got a 400ex because of the tight trails and stuff that i ride.

the 400 can handle circles around the shee, but its suspension isnt that great. front will bottom out on about any decent jump on an MX track.

i would say the 400 is more reliable then the banshee, but most of that is the fact that its a 4-stroke instead of a 2-stroke. IMO honda makes about the best engines on earth. it comes down to how you treat it and if you keep up with the maintenance. my banshee was bored out for the first time this winter (its an 89') granted it wasnt ridden a whole lot by the previous owners.

i know about everyone on this site hates yamahas, but is that cuz you are getting beat by them - or because you had one and hated it? if you havent personally owned or put in some hours on another machine, you really dont need to flame it. everyone has an opinoin wether or not its their own.

before you go putting words in my mouth, why dont you re-read my original post. i only said a banshee was faster, an no one can deny that. with equal amounts in the engines, you wont touch it with an EX.

zach

SlapNutz
08-20-2003, 06:38 AM
sumon tell me noOSO werk :confused: :macho :mad:

jokerman_28
08-20-2003, 01:15 PM
okay i wasnt quoting you when i said "great" i was using the quotation marks as sarcasm. i know they are fast, very fast. i almost bought one until i considered the reliablity of honda 4strokes vs yamaha 2strokes. all i said was they werent reliable and YOU blew up. also, quit assuming!

hawiianpwr
08-20-2003, 01:34 PM
How come it seems like every thread starts out ok but then turns into an arguing match totally off the subject!:ermm:

400exstunta
08-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
How come it seems like every thread starts out ok but then turns into an arguing match totally off the subject!:ermm:

do you really need to ask that question?
im sure you already know the anwser...

hawiianpwr
08-20-2003, 03:36 PM
True....True:p

Maxxed out
08-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Yaaa like a boxing argue match huh!!!:eek2:

TGW_400ex
08-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Maxxed Out I told u about that quate about the banshee hahaha and its ture yamaha is only known for out powering its opponents but not out handleing them for example the warrior and the 300ex and the 400ex and the raptor! Honda invented handlin:D

oddy
08-20-2003, 05:23 PM
I have a 02 blaster which I'm selling.. I figure that in the long run it would be better to get a honda.. yamaha's are fast but to get the blaster up to par you basically have to buy it and redo every single part on it.. 4 strokes i guess are longer lasting and more durable.. but 2 strokes still own in my opinion

Chef
08-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by jokerman_28
while your thinking how "great" a banshee is...consider the reliability of a banshee while your rebuildin your banshee for the 8th time in a week. they are not reliable machines. for reliablity you CANNOT beat the 400ex.

And how many Banshees have you personally owned? :confused:

zlam27
08-21-2003, 03:42 AM
right on chef...

jokerman, i wasnt trying to blow up or argue with you- i just wanted to state where i was coming from before more people started posting responses to when i said "put a bansee engine in it". sorry for the confusion, i guess i did come off kinda harsh.

im just sick of the so-called "politics" or whatever it is surrounding ATVs. everyone hates the brand they dont have, or the one a friend has. when you go here, its yamaha. over at bansheehq its honda and polaris. its kinda like guys and their trucks (chevy vs. ford vs. dodge). i just want to say that whatever gets the job done and whatever someone can afford is a good quad for em'. i am not fond of polaris (belt driven, automatic, single a-arm front end, etc) but i have ridden a 500 scrambler 4x4 and i did like some things about it. ive also ridden a trailblazer and it was a fun machine. i love my honda 400ex, its not perfect but its darn close :D

sorry to the person who started this thread, i didnt mean to hijack it. i might as well add my 2 cents.
to get more power you can...
get an aftermarket filter
buy a slip-on (full system w/o engine mods isnt necessary IMO)
take off the airbox lid
send your carb away to sparks or somewhere ($125)
get a different cam
get a high comp. piston and a big-bore kit (416 - 440)
run an open header:devil:

zach

TGW_400ex
08-21-2003, 03:43 AM
One way I know to make your 400ex go faster is to pull in the clutch leave off the gas and pull up on the shifter then let the clutch out and give it gas porbably about 4000 rpms!!!:p

TGW_400ex
08-21-2003, 03:56 AM
You have got to admit how many Hondas have you seen broke down on the side of the trail then how many Yamahas. I have seen more older hondas still going down the trail then Yamahas. Yamahas aren't the worst brand out there. There are other ones that are worse (Polaris). Still although I would take a Honda over a Yamaha from what all I've seen with my eyes;)

zlam27
08-21-2003, 07:30 AM
i agree with everyone who says hondas are extremely reliable. i never said they werent, i just said a banshee was faster (in a round-about sort of way). in our riding group, one of my friends rides an old "big red" 250 3-wheeler. i have another friend that just sold an old ATC 110 that looked like sin, still ran good. we have a honda foreman 450 with 5400 miles and it still starts every time and runs like new. im a die-hard honda fan.

zach