PDA

View Full Version : e-series jetting/ throttle resp.

zlam27
08-18-2003, 05:22 PM
my friend has a WB e-series slip on with a K&N filter on his 400. when he bought the pipe they gave him a 152 main. is it just me or is that really lean?

i told him to put in a 40 pilot for easier winter starting/idling. i would think he needs a 155 or 158 with his pipe, but it actually runs good.

my other ? is about throttle response. basically mine sucks right now. i dont know where i should have the needle jet (the part the main jet screws into) set at. it has a lock-nut on it, but where should it be set. i guess i just need to play around with my jetting more. its just a pain to take it apart- adjust- put together-ride- take apart- adjust other way- put together- ride- try something else- etc...etc...etc

with your slip-on and filter how is everyone jetted and what adjustments have you made? thanx in advance.

zach

cals400ex
08-18-2003, 05:56 PM
most people run around a 155 keihin main jet with a slip on and K&N filter. my friend runs a 152 in summer and his flies. in winter, it needs to be a little bigger than 152 though. if a bike is a little lean, it would run better than a bike a little rich. i would not be putting in a 158 with just a slip on and a filter. i would suggest possibly a 158 with a filter and complete system. a bigger pilot would be a good thing. i would tell him to just get a 42 though.

the piece that the mainjet skrews into is called a needle jet holder. when you take this off be extremely careful because there is a little piece above the needle jet holder about the size of a tic tac called a needle jet. the needle itself on our bikes is called a jet needle. so a jet needle and a needle jet is not the same part. when you skrew the needlejet holder in, tighten the lock nut so you see 3 to 4 threads below the locking nut. this is about where it needs to be. it may be a little hard to picture this but here goes nothing. if you just go and skrew the needle jet holder all the way in, you are raising the needle jet holder higher in the carb. in return, since the mainjet is skrewed into this needle jet holder, you are also raising the main jet. the problem with this is: your main jet is not close enough to the bottom of the carb to suck just gas. you with me?? however, you don't want the needle jet holder to barely be skrewed in because then the mainjet would sit at the very bottom of the carb and is more likely to suck up any debris at the bottom. if you have any other questions, let me know.

hondarider2006
08-18-2003, 07:54 PM
yeah, could you write that over again and go into more detail;)

just messin, great info man!

zlam27
08-19-2003, 07:39 AM
yeah cal, ive talked to you about this before. when i took out my main jet, the whole assembly came with it. how do i check to see if that "tic-tac" piece is still in there? i dont recall it falling out, but it might have. how would the bike run w/o it? my throttle response kinda blows right now, but it still runs good. let me know, thanks.

zach

cals400ex
08-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
yeah, could you write that over again and go into more detail;)

just messin, great info man!

dude, i thought you were serious. lol
as far as the needle jet (little tic tac ) goes, one side of it is round and other side is flat. you will need to take off the carb and remove the mainjet and jet needle holder. after you remove the jet needle holder, use a flash light and shine it down to where the jet needle holder skrews into. the jet needle should be in there. i heard something fall out of my bike the other day when i removed the needle jet holder and i can't find what fell out. all i know is that the jet needle is not there. try not to loose it because it costs $30 at my local dealer. i have no clue how it would run with it not in place. i would think it would be really rich and would not want to run after 1/4 throttle or so but i honestly don't have a clue.