PDA

View Full Version : Jumps

cain73
08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
OK veterans and show off's here's your chance to prove your knowledge!

I recently got an 01 300 EX. It's my first atv and so far so good. My friends and I have a nice track with a couple of jumps that we are learning on and we have been making htem larger all the time.
At this point the bottom of my tires get between 4 and 5 feet of air (depending on the jump). What I need to know is:
1. should you be accellerating into the jump or can you get your speed and just maintain until you hit it. I noticed that my friends and I all get going then just before the jump we let off then goose it on the jump and that some times when we don't our back tires tend to get too high and we land on the front (not good) is theis cause and effect or is it the way we are on the bike and not the throttling when we jump.

2. we can clear 15-20 feet of distance, but I want to get better and eventually hit the doubles. How should I go about this?

3. when doubling I have seen that guys can control the bike to make the front higher or lower how is this done?

like I said I'm new and so are the four guys riding with me so any one with experience and know how please weigh in and dazzle us with your knowledge.

BlasterBTW
08-19-2003, 03:23 AM
For some jumps I just build up my speed if there is room. You have to have alot of motor to go slow up to a jump and then floor it and clear it. As you keep jumping you will get better no doubt. When in the air, if you want your nose to drop down press your rear brake pedal. Or if you want your nose to come up, hit the throttle. Its just like a wheelie. Brake to come down, gas to go up. But sometime this does not work and sometimes it works too good. The brake can have a big affect in the air sometimes, and you don't want to nosedive into the landing, trust me it hurts. Do a little experimenting and see if it helps. Practice makes perfect.
Bryan

zephead400ex
08-19-2003, 04:55 AM
Hit the gas when you get to the lip of the jump, if you dont, you will nosedive without question!

Getting better at clearing distances takes practice. Once you get the hang of goosing the gas on takeoff and controlling the bike in the air, distance will come naturally...well a little more speed will help too!:)

good luck

300extreme#8
08-19-2003, 06:25 AM
you won't nose dive if you don't goose it when you get to the top,you can hit it wide open and not nosedive ,the only time i nose dive depends on how i use the gas and brakes in the air,but i have a 300ex to and the only time you need to let off the get back on it right after and goose it is when you have to much speed for the distance on the landin but other then that don't let off hit it wide open and to keep your front end up in the air,just stay on the gas or hit it real hard in the air,and to lower your nose just as soon as you hit the jump let off the gas and don't touch it but if you hit the jump wide open in fifth then you need to use the brake b/c you tires will keep spinnin b/c they still have the momentom from the speed so in this case jump up alil off the quad and tap the rear brake and keep your weight alil to to the front and your back end should come up real quick so don't be scared if it comes up real fast ,but you should have to use the brake use you hittin it wideopen in fifth

300extreme#8
08-19-2003, 06:49 AM
also to let you know,nosedivin isn't always a bad thing, in the future you need to know when to do it on certain jumps but for now hit the jumps and lean forward and let off the gas b/c when you get to a real track with big landins nosedivin is the best way to keep your speed when landin and goin to the next jump or turn but practice nosedivin and gettin your quad lined up with the landin ,this will take along time and alot of practice to get it right but once you get it everytime you'll think yourself for learn how

JUSTINcredible
08-20-2003, 07:48 PM
and if u do hit the rear brake while in the air pull in the clutch, if not your motor will most likley stall and make a bad situation a whole lot worse