PDA

View Full Version : emgo brakes suck!

rap169
08-18-2003, 04:06 PM
I purchased a full set of emgo brakes for my 250x.The rear wore out after one days worth of riding. The fronts wore out after two days. They suck! Honda pads usually last me a couple months. Any body recomend any particular brand brakes?

toby400ex
08-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Ive had my sintered metal emgos since early june. Thats been 2 moto cross races, 2 riding trips, and 2 harescrambles and they still have more than half their life left, and thats the rears, the fronts look like new. I got them off ebay, $18 rear, $30 for both front pairs. They work good too

08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
the mud will eat them brake pads alive....:eek2:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-19-2003, 04:08 AM
I put a set of rear pads on my 400 before we went to hatfield and after 2 days of riding they were toast :grr: yep that mud takes a toll on the pads. I believe the pads were braking pads. but I think it would of happened to any of the pads mud is bad :macho

Pappy
08-19-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
but I think it would of happened to any of the pads mud is bad :macho

yup....1 muddy race and the brakes are shot....it expected i think:ermm:

86atc250r
08-19-2003, 04:29 AM
After trying probably every brake pad manufactured over the years, I've come to the determination that I am best served by buying the cheap Emgo Asbestos pads.

I can buy 3 sets cheaper than one pair of the "good" pads cost & I've found that for both XC and Flattrack, they last every bit as long or longer than most any other pad I've tried.

If you're wearing out pads in a day's worth of riding, I'd check for a mechanical problem, like the float pins being seized - especially on an old quad like a 250X. I've got several month's worth of racing on my cheap pads and they're still in good shape.

Also keep in mind if you're riding really nasty, muddy conditions, it will accelerate brake pad wear tremendously.

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Don't use the brakes so much! Save money and go faster all at the same time!

But yes, I agree, Emgo pads suck.

rap169
08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
ok..i understand that pads get destroyed in mud. But my pads i bought from honda that were like 40 bucks lasted a couple months. Thats the biggest complaint of these emgo is that i didnt get any wear time with them. But i dont want to spend a fortune on honda pads.

bongwater200
08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
I always had good luck with EBC pads. I don't use brakes that much, and I use the fronts 99% of the time. I hardly ever use the rears unless I need to float the back end in the air. I get a couple YEARS out of front brake pads, but I avoid mud like the plague!

Braking pads are awesome for stopping power, but don't wear as long.

QuadTrix6
08-20-2003, 06:55 AM
i like oem

sylvan56473
08-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by bongwater200
I always had good luck with EBC pads. I don't use brakes that much, and I use the fronts 99% of the time. I hardly ever use the rears unless I need to float the back end in the air. I get a couple YEARS out of front brake pads, but I avoid mud like the plague!

Braking pads are awesome for stopping power, but don't wear as long.

I agree with this completely, I have always used EBC and have had my front and rear pads for 2 years and they still have 50% left. I DO NOT ride in the mud though. Only motocross, and brakes get a pretty good work out in motocross.

86atc250r
08-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Yep, if you keep out of the water & mud, pads of any kind will last a very long time...

Front pads will also typically outlast rear pads by what seems to be a factor of 10 (I just pulled that out of the air but you get the point :)). In all my racing on my 400EX, I've only replaced the front pads once.

We race a lot of XC (as well as a number of other types of racing) - in XC you have a lot of creek crossings and adverse conditions. In this environment brake pads can wear very quickly.

To compound it, these are the same conditions that can eventually cause the float pins in the Nissin calipers many ATV manufacturers use to seize.

In my experience (almost 20 years of riding Honda ATVs) I've went thru a lot of brake pads - some of my old 3-wheelers even use the exact same pads a 400EX uses. I've found that the factor that matters most is not the brand, but the environment they are used in.

That said, in trying out different pads from OEM (which I used to be a firm believer in), to EBC, to Braking, to Emgo, to a whole host of others I can't even remember - I've found the brand makes little difference when used in the environments I use them in.

Many people are stuck on a particular brand because it just so happens that the environment they used them in the first time was not very harsh & they lasted a long time. Heck, it's happened to me - buy a particular brand of pads, they last forever, then the next time they last only a couple races. After a while of this you begin to notice the pattern....

Many other people are stuck in the mindset that the more money they spend, the better product they are getting. In many cases, you are actually not paying for more quality, you are funding the advertising budget of the company. Some of these people will even offer opinions on products they haven't even tried based on the price alone.

Personally, I like to try products before developing an opinion - and in my experience the particular flavor of Emgo pads that I'm using stop well and hold up as well as anything I've tried so far, other's experiences may vary...

toby400ex
08-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Ive had the same pair of pads all summer, but then again we havent had an inch of rain all summer.:cuss:

Rip_Tear
08-20-2003, 11:32 AM
What are you guys using your brakes for???

My pads are still pretty good, the rear is like new! I don't use it much lol, the fronts aren't bad, but I never try to stop quick....

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
i like oem