PDA

View Full Version : Axle removal, Need HELP ASAP.........

JhallettEX
01-25-2002, 05:06 PM
I am tryin to remove my axle to put a new one on. I cant get my inner and outer lock nuts off. They will not budge. It the manual it says something about a special tool on the inner nut, what is this? Can I use something else. What should I do. HELP. Thanks

JhallettEX
01-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Come on guys, I know it's Friday night and everything. Someone has to know what to do.

wyndzer
01-25-2002, 06:11 PM
First thing is you have to loosen the small nut by turning up. Then loosen the bigger nut the same way. Loosen them far enough to expose the lock ring under the flanged edge of the large nut. Remove the lock ring, then remove the nuts.

Evan
01-25-2002, 06:14 PM
You do know they are reverse threads dont you?
Instead of counter clockwise it will be clockwise, so you should be pulling up instead of down. Hey I'll trade you axles. I have a brand new X-33. :)

leel
01-25-2002, 07:38 PM
I just went through this. Both nuts are left hand threaded, so you must turn them the opposite way of a normal nut. Mine wouldn't loosen even when I used a torch, long wrench, and large hammer on the nut. I finally gave up and gently hack sawed through the larger nut across the threads, stopping right when you break through (don't damage the threaded "tube"). The nut then came right off. A new nut is about $15 at www.servicehonda.com . I won't talk about the $200 worth of broken parts I found inside when I pulled the axle out...

Good luck,
Lorrin

400exRacerX
01-25-2002, 07:55 PM
I used two pipe wrenches to take the nuts off. Be careful because the nuts are lefthand thread and they have lock-tite on them so you need to work them back and forth alittle to work the lock-tite loose. I also used some penetrating oil to get it loose.

While your in there you mine as well replace the axle bearings and dust seals too.