PDA

View Full Version : Warms up and runs real bad then quits.

1krazyquadridr
08-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Ok my 416 ran fine at the last national I ran and when I went to ride it the next week it started to spit and spudder a little bit. Now it will only start and when it heats up after a 1/4 mile or so it runs like crap and quits. It won't even start back up until it has cooled down. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or where I should even start? I've been through the carb twice with no success.

Chef
08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Check to make sure your intake manifold is in good shape.

1krazyquadridr
08-18-2003, 11:17 AM
I'll check for cracks or small holes or leaks. But I'm pretty sure everything is ok.

gojk
08-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Is the breather hose on the gas tank clogged. I have seen that a million times. The symptoms sound just like that.

Ryan
08-19-2003, 03:06 AM
Check your sparkplug boot. My buddy had the same problem with his Kodiak.

Maxxed out
08-19-2003, 05:09 AM
Yaa since a 416ex and Kodiak are so much alike..:huh

swamprider7
08-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Maxxed out

Hey if you are here to flame than this is not the place. Both of the quads have spark plugs don't they?

UglyMotha™
08-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Maxxed out

:huh don't be stupid, same principals apply to both motors so yes they are much alike if the sparkplug boot is messed up both motors will have the same symptoms :o

1krazyquadridr
08-19-2003, 11:26 AM
well the spark plug boot is ok, but are you talking about the breather tube on the gas cap?

Chef
08-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 1krazyquadridr
well the spark plug boot is ok, but are you talking about the breather tube on the gas cap?

Yes, he is.

1krazyquadridr
08-20-2003, 04:16 AM
hey anything is worth a try at this point thanks

nakomis0
08-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Sounds to me like a bad CDI.

Thats the typical symptom.

1krazyquadridr
08-22-2003, 02:06 AM
When you say CDI are you referring to the White Brothers rev box I've got or something else?

gojk
08-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Yes, that is what he is talking about.

R-Crazy
08-22-2003, 07:50 AM
i dont know about a CDI, cuz my R wouldnt even start when my CDI went bad. that sounds more like a stator (at least if that was happening to a 250r) is there anything clogginh your intake, i know i once put a paper towel in my air boot and forgot, and it wouldnt run rite. haha, just my $.02.

dave

1krazyquadridr
08-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Well I finally got to looking at everything discussed and everything seems fine. I'm getting spark and I replaced my CDI with the stock one. It just seems that the exhaust pipes are really getting hot after only running for a few seconds. What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?

1krazyquadridr
08-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Can anyone tell me the symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Bill Fuller
08-27-2003, 10:31 AM
oil all over the motor,did you take the fuel vent tube off and check it just a little mud in there and it will run like crap for about 1-2 minutes then die.It will take a minute or two so the gas tank can equal out then it will start back up only to do the same thing.Try to run it without the gas cap.Have you checked the intake boot?If you have a 2000 or older it will be a two piece unit(aluminium and rubber)if it is the updated piece it will be all black.Have you checked to see if you have water in the gas?Have you changed the spark plug?

1krazyquadridr
08-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Well I've got the older intake boot but it looks fine, I took it out and inspected it. It doesn't even want to start anymore even with the gas cap off. I'm really lost as to what it could be at this point.

1krazyquadridr
08-28-2003, 02:31 AM
Well I've got the older intake boot but it looks fine, I took it out and inspected it. It doesn't even want to start anymore even with the gas cap off. I'm really lost as to what it could be at this point.

Bill Fuller
08-28-2003, 02:39 AM
When you say doesn't want to start is it turning over?Have you changed plugs?Are you getting spark?

gojk
08-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Is there gas in the carb? IS the fuel line from the tank to the carb kinked.

lil400exman
08-28-2003, 05:14 AM
before it dies does it lean out really bad? if that is the problem then you might have something stuck in your fuel filter and the gas in the line slowly into the carb and just enough for it to run for 1/4 mile it happened on my dirtbike try replacing your fuel filter.......:) its worth a shot......

1krazyquadridr
08-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Well it turns over fine and has plenty of spark it just doesn't want to start. I pulled the petcock off the gas tank and the filter is really clean. And when I take the carb off every time it is always full of fuel. So I think I have tried everything everyone has suggested. Anyone else got any ideas?

cals400ex
08-28-2003, 04:38 PM
you said you pulled the petcock off the tank. are you sure you put the black plastic piece back on the petcock correctly? i am not sure if this is possible, but maybe you put it on wrong and when the arrow is pointing down to the "on" position, your really on the off position.

wilkin250r
08-29-2003, 04:15 AM
Did you try squirting a little bit of gas directly into the cylinder?

My theory is, if you squirt a little gas right through the carb, it fires up, then dies, then basically you just FORCED fuel into the cylinder, but after that you aren't getting any fuel, so the problem has to be in your carb.

If it still doesn't fire, even after you KNOW you got fuel because you squirted it in there, then the problem is in your cylinder or spark.

If your exhaust pipes are getting extremely hot after only a few seconds, then you are running lean.

Did you try all the basics? New spark plug. Drain the gas tank AND carb, and try new fresh gas? Check the airbox, boot, and filter (or try starting it without the air filter in place)?

maxoutput
08-29-2003, 07:28 AM
that happin to me 1 time , I stood the quad up on the rear grab bar when i washed it . After i was done i let the quad slam down (shock test) to the ground,after that it didnt want to run. The clip on the needle skiped up a notch and thats why it wouldnt run

1krazyquadridr
08-29-2003, 08:38 AM
I'm pretty sure gas is getting into the cylinder because when I take the boot off the carb and hit the gas it sprays a stream of gas into the motor. Unless the main jet somehow isn't allowing gas to go through. I've had the carb apart about 3 or 4 times and can't find anything wrong. But if you say it is running lean I'm just wondering why.

wilkin250r
08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
That's just my first impression when you say the exhaust pipe is heating up too hot too quickly.

When you run lean, it burns the fuel more more efficiently, which creates more heat, which results in hotter exhaust gasses. This added heat will eventually melt the piston and cause the motor to sieze. But before that happens, your exhaust pipe will get EXTREMELY hot.

I'm not sure how to diagnose your problems any further. Perhaps take it to a professional. :ermm:

3x440ex
08-29-2003, 01:28 PM
If you are getting air, fuel, spark, and your timing is correct, then it has to run.... it sounds like a carb problem to me.

Bill Fuller
08-29-2003, 02:28 PM
This same situation happened to me.The Magic Quad,had spark,fuel,compression,he11 we changed everthing electrical on the quad(had my brothers quad for pieces:D ...yes his ran before and after)We thought the rings might have stuck but when we took the top end off everything was ok.I got so frustrated with it I went and bought a new 400......turns out it was the starter not disingaging,it would turn over for days everything was there to run but it would not.Before we figured this out we even put his top end piston and all on and it still would not run.Could be.......

400grl
08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I had the same problem once......I felt really really silly because I was running with the choke on.

Just wondering (and I'm definately not the most technical person) - it almost sounds like it is getting too much gas? Symptoms like flooding? Have you tried to start it holding the throttle wide open long enough to drain/evap your carb? I'm wondering if something is causing too much gas to get into your carb and it's flooding out?

Wierd......let us know if you find out what it is!

F-16Guy
08-29-2003, 03:09 PM
It is possible to have a blown head gasket and not have oil all over the place. Unless your oil ring is shot, you should just be pumping hot air out of the blown gasket. If that were the case, it would also be sucking air in on the intake stroke, causing the bike to run extremely lean. Take a close look at the gasket and see if you can see any area that has black, sooty deposites around it. Maybe even get some soapy water and spray it around the gasket before and shortly after you start it to look for leaks. If you've been through the carb, and it ran good before, I can't see it being that. Other than that, I'm :confused:

1krazyquadridr
08-31-2003, 11:11 AM
Ok thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm going to take the carb apart one more time and then check for the head gasket. I never thought of the starter getting hung up though. I'll let you know when I find out for sure.