PDA

View Full Version : Carburator Boot into Cylinder head

JLanphear
08-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys,

This weekend my EX started spitting and backfiring like crazy. I hadn't changed the plug for a while so I thought that may be the culpret. When I pulled it out it was white showing a lean condition. We replaced the plug anyway and it was doing the same thing so I shut it right down.

We inspected all the air intake and noticed that the boot that goes on the front of the carb to the engine was pulling apart.

My setup is basically an aluminum plate with a rubber boot attached to it, and then it plugs into the carb. The rubber is all cracked and pulling away from the aluminum piece.

I looked at a friends bike (Redrizza's) which is a 2000 like mine, and his set up was different. His boot is either made of aluminum or plastic througout...it's just one piece with no rubber to pull apart. I like it much better than mine.

When I order mine I would like to get that setup, but I can't seem to find it. I even looked under the 2001 EX Microfiche and it "appears" to be the same thing as mine.

It's part # 6 on the graphic below. Again mine is a silver aluminum plate that bolts to the engine, and off of that there is a rubber boot that goes to the carb. Redrizza's set up is either aluminum or plastic, and it is shaped similar, but it's black and all one piece.

Please let me know if you can help make sure I order the right one.

Thank you.

-Josh

http://www.onlinemicrofiche.com/OEM_Images/honda_atv_images/99TRX400EX5.gif

Chef
08-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Get the 6. Mine did that to me once already. The new one you get will probably look all one piece rubber. Mine is, anyhow.

JLanphear
08-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Get the 6. Mine did that to me once already. The new one you get will probably look all one piece rubber. Mine is, anyhow.

Man that was fast....

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that I got the right piece. My setup right now is just plain crap...that other part looks a lot better.

I'll try to confirm with the dealer when I order.

Thanks bro.

-Josh

Chef
08-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Man that was fast....

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that I got the right piece. My setup right now is just plain crap...that other part looks a lot better.

I'll try to confirm with the dealer when I order.

Thanks bro.

-Josh

They wont know if they are getting aluminum and rubber or rubber and rubber. Its just the luck of the draw. They changed them back and forth. Mine is a 99 and had aluminum and rubber. Either way, its lasted this long so it will last this long again.

JLanphear
08-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Chef
They wont know if they are getting aluminum and rubber or rubber and rubber. Its just the luck of the draw. They changed them back and forth. Mine is a 99 and had aluminum and rubber. Either way, its lasted this long so it will last this long again.

Haha....well they know that I can get annoying so they'll keep ordering until I get the one that I want :p

08-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Just get one off of a '00 ex and up and u'll be ok trust me;)