PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins susp

4TraxRider
08-18-2003, 09:54 AM
I've been trying to find information on Ohlins suspension for quads, and all I can find on their site is motorcycle car ans snowmoblie stuff. Does anybody know of any distributors sites or any site that has specs and info on the ATV suspension. Thanks

AtvMxRider
08-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat
they suck

:ermm: :rolleyes:

Juggalo
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
actually ohlins shocks are ultra nice. www.motojoe.com sells em

Pappy
08-18-2003, 01:27 PM
they suck

sure they dont:mad:

sylvan56473
08-19-2003, 06:21 AM
I have Ohlins all around and love them. They only thing that I didn't like is that they come set up for a 165 lb rider with stock a-arms. I believe www.propilotracing.com has some good information and they will set them up when you buy them. It's a really good deal. Hope that helps.

4TraxRider
08-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks a lot guys, thats just the site I needed. I don't know why everybody says Ohlins always suck. I saw a cannondale with the same setup I want and just watching it made em grin it looked so plush. Then I took it for a little ride and it was great. I was just wondering before I order tonight, do you think ithe triple rate or race shop dual rate is better? Thanks again.

sylvan56473
08-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I guess that I am not familiar enough with the triple rate or race shop dual rate to help you with that question. I have only ran the single spring that is progressively wound. Are you ordering from Pro Pilot?

4TraxRider
08-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah I am. I'm leaning toward the triple rates I guess. I can't see why dual rates would be better.

norrisboat
08-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Ohlins suck!!!! Save money. Buy good shocks. Its worth it.

Pappy
08-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Ohlins suck!!!! Save money. Buy good shocks. Its worth it.

id like for you to back that up with FACT. ive riden on plenty of ohlins that match pep or axis.

JOEX
08-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Is ohlins an "aftermarket" shock company? Meaning do they build shocks to order for specific setups? How do they rank in quality and service to the other more well know aftermarket builders?

JOe

swamprider7
08-20-2003, 06:31 PM
I've got stock cannondale ohlins shocks on the front of my 400 and let me tell you, they are a helluva lot nicer than the stock pogo sticks. So don't bash if you can't back it up with facts.

LML67
08-21-2003, 12:40 AM
There isn't a darn thing wrong with Ohlins!

Jeffksf
08-21-2003, 02:57 AM
How do they compare as far as pricing? Are they more expensive then Works and cheaper then Elka, etc?

bradley300
08-21-2003, 05:13 AM
i think pricing wise they are right around there with elka, maybe a little cheaper, quaility is every bit as good as pep,axis, elka. i believe pro action does some real nice work on ohlins also.

StreetLegalEX
08-21-2003, 09:05 PM
My neighbour has them on his GasGas 300. He likes them better than the previous shocks he had on his Raptor. (Reiger (dutch company))

norrisboat
08-22-2003, 07:35 AM
If ohlins are so great than why dont any of the pro riders ride with them. Go to nationals and look at all of the pros shocks. Hmmmm. I wonder why none of them say ohlins?????? Thats a fact.

Pappy
08-22-2003, 07:36 AM
If ohlins are so great than why dont any of the pro riders ride with them. Go to nationals and look at all of the pros shocks. Hmmmm. I wonder why none of them say ohlins?????? Thats a fact.
ok...ill call ya a nimrod right here:ermm:

just because a pro doent run them makes them junk:confused: good lord man....put down the cup of fantasy juice:scary:

norrisboat
08-22-2003, 07:44 AM
I didnt say they were junk. I said they suck.

Pappy
08-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I didnt say they were junk. I said they suck.

sure they do....NOT:p

dont post an opinion unless you can providefacts to support it.

are thier seals junk:confused:

shaft diameter incorrect:confused:

valving have issues:confused:

springs the wrong color:confused:

i geuss if you found out most pro riders spank it 10 times a day you would be tellin the world to give up girls and yank it:devil: sorry....but if you are going to call a product junk or say they suck atleast have the brain power to support your cause:o

they have a great name in the market and although they dont support quads as much as they do the bikes i think saying they suck is a pretty piss poor evaluation of them;)

Johnny_G
08-22-2003, 08:25 AM
:D :macho :devil:

Pappy
08-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Johnny_G
:D :macho :devil:

youd ride works if they told u too:devil: :blah:

AtvMxRider
08-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
sure they do....NOT:p

dont post an opinion unless you can providefacts to support it.

are thier seals junk:confused:

shaft diameter incorrect:confused:

valving have issues:confused:

springs the wrong color:confused:

i geuss if you found out most pro riders spank it 10 times a day you would be tellin the world to give up girls and yank it:devil: sorry....but if you are going to call a product junk or say they suck atleast have the brain power to support your cause:o

they have a great name in the market and although they dont support quads as much as they do the bikes i think saying they suck is a pretty piss poor evaluation of them;)

:D :blah:

anywhereEx
08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
youd ride works if they told u too
:D

Seriously though I had a dale earlier this year with ohlins and they were pretty good shocks especially considering they were not set up directly for me. Easily compairable to top of the line shocks.

If you are looking for LT pm me and I will give you a place to inquire about some if he still has any left.

Pappy
08-22-2003, 08:40 AM
anywhere....jeff was tryin to get me hooked up on a set...if you can get me connected:scary:

Hotdog
08-22-2003, 08:45 AM
i was at a in new york race a couple of weeks ago. There was more ohlins shocks there then all otheres combined.

monkeyboy
08-22-2003, 08:46 AM
talle poppa froz ta git me sum fer da tecotty:bandit:

Hotdog
08-22-2003, 08:48 AM
sorry about my typing. doing three things at once

norrisboat
08-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Then tell me why dont the pros run ohlin shocks then?

Pappy
08-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Then tell me why dont the pros run ohlin shocks then?

3 of the biggest name in shocks do 99% of the pro level sponsorships. it has nothing to do with what brand is better then the next. pep axis elka works ohlins moto woz and others are are comparable in quality and have the capabilty to preform the same.

now....some builders or race teams recieve either by direction or PERSONAL preference a certain shock.

does this mean one shock is junk over the next? no

you wont find many pro's that will say anything bad about thier shock supplier. but truthfully YOU cant BUY the same shocks most pro's run. they may look the same but the constant work that they preform on those shocks you and i just cant get.

there is more shocks then what you read in magazines or here on the net....get out a lil and ride some of the different set ups and maybe you'll see just because joe pro runs AXIS doesnt mean its the only shock in the world to use.

i dont care what shocks you run but i do care about the information posted on our site. if you cant back up the "they suck" any better then you have id suggest you find a new place to play....WE DEMAND BETTER THEN THAT NOW:macho

QuadTrix6
08-22-2003, 01:30 PM
but truthfully YOU cant BUY the same shocks most pro's run. they may look the same but the constant work that they preform on those shocks you and i just cant get.

Pappy could you please back up with facts how a pros shocks are different then what we purchase :confused:

Dave400ex
08-22-2003, 01:36 PM
Doesn't this Norrisboat this LSR is good? lmao

Quadtrix I think Pappy was saying how much testing and working on setup they do for the Pro's is what makes their shocks so much better then the ones we would order.

Pappy
08-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
Pappy could you please back up with facts how a pros shocks are different then what we purchase :confused:

I WAS REFERING TO THE CONSTANT TUNING THAT THE PRO'S RECIEVE ON THEIR SHOCKS.

ive seen shocks disassembled between moto's for pro's....completely tore down and rebuilt....just to make changes for the rider or fix a problem.......do you do that?

ive also been included in testing new shocks that you havent even seen. the shock companies do test new things before bringing them to market and everyday riders with a bit of smarts can give them a ton of valuable info.

i spent an hour with the fella who does the ohlins shocks and others at the gncc's. not once did he try and tell me what shock was better...all he said was...bring it to me and ill make it better. i geuss im past the "i gotta have the name brand or im chit" cuz i dont care what name is on it...as long as it preforms;)

QuadTrix6
08-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Doesn't this Norrisboat this LSR is good? lmao

Quadtrix I think Pappy was saying how much testing and working on setup they do for the Pro's is what makes their shocks so much better then the ones we would order.

whats wrong with LSR ?

QuadTrix6
08-22-2003, 01:53 PM
I WAS REFERING TO THE CONSTANT TUNING THAT THE PRO'S RECIEVE ON THEIR SHOCKS.

ive seen shocks disassembled between moto's for pro's....completely tore down and rebuilt....just to make changes for the rider or fix a problem...

do you really think thats neccasary ? theres tons of guys who race on the site and don't have that kind of service and win races

4TraxRider
08-22-2003, 04:10 PM
I just ordered the triple rate fronts with 0 preload, and the rear, all fully adj, reb and comp, with the correct springs and set up for my weight. They''ll be here in a few weeks, I'll give a little run down of how thy compared to my Elka's and works.

Pappy
08-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
do you really think thats neccasary ? theres tons of guys who race on the site and don't have that kind of service and win races

your going to have to spend some time in the pits with a pro racer ...not a local pro but someone like natalie..gust or farr to get where im coming from.

for the average rider suspension is a mystery....its better then stock so they are happy. some of us have learned that for the money we pay for these pogo sticks we deserve more.

and im not going into what brand is better .....buy what YOU want to ride on and go from there.

Dave400ex
08-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Well I think you already know about the problems with the frames and swingarms, but actually LSR did change their swingarms and frames and I haven't seen or heard any problems about the new stuff.

outacontrol31
08-22-2003, 05:03 PM
I hope cause also I cracked a 300 ex lsr swingarm, I had only had it for about a year before it cracked by the bottom shock mount and both front skid plate mounts, when I sent it in to them they would;nt do nothin with it or refund it cause it was an olser model, so I forked over $650 for a new chrome one, oh well chit happens, like my cracked frame, like my bent lsr steering stem, like my chain that won't stay on, I need to move up to a quad that can handle this stuff.
Also pappy you seem very wise avout what your talking about, does ohlins offer all of the adjustments like what pep, axis, or elka offers like compression, rebound, etc, or a zero preload set up, just wondering, thanx:devil:

Pappy
08-22-2003, 05:13 PM
ohlins has top end shocks as well as normal shocks like the dual rates on the dales when they first came out.

i priced a set of the best ohlins could offer and it was around $1000. i will buy ohlins in a second....the best set of shocks ive ever riden on was a set of old ohlins prepped by pro action. now my newest shocks were just done by santo de risi and they feel awesome too....but i dont have enough seat time on them to say they are better then what ive run before

sylvan56473
08-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
I just ordered the triple rate fronts with 0 preload, and the rear, all fully adj, reb and comp, with the correct springs and set up for my weight. They''ll be here in a few weeks, I'll give a little run down of how thy compared to my Elka's and works.

Congratulations! I think that you will absolutley love them. I really wanted to get the same thing but could only afford the single rates. Please let me know how you like them.
Thanks,
John

norrisboat,

Ever heard of a guy named Gary Denton? (said sarcastically) Gary won more championships than anyone using Ohlins shocks. I think the reason that other brands are so popular is becuase Ohlins uses Parts Unlimited as a main distributer and therefore aftermarket companys make less money off a set of shocks. I have run everything from Works to PEP to Axis to Ohlins. The Axis shocks that I had were top of the line and I like my non-adjustable Ohlins better. The rear Ohlins shock puts the Axis to shame! This thing has 64 clicks of rebound and 24 of compression. Talk about adjustable. My Axis only had 50 rebound and 8 compression. I am not saying in anyway that Axis are not good shocks, I am just saying that I would much rather prefer Ohlins. As long as you have a set of shocks that are built for you, you really can't go wrong. There is my 2 cents.

QuadTrix6
08-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by sylvan56473

norrisboat,

Ever heard of a guy named Gary Denton? (said sarcastically) Gary won more championships than anyone using Ohlins shocks.

How many years ago ??:confused:

norrisboat
08-23-2003, 10:33 AM
haha..... quadtrix. I dont think I was alive when ohlins was at the top of the game.

explodinghead
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Try to look outside your small world and you might see why Ohlins do not suck. They might not be the quad number one seller but they are a quality product.
There's a fair chance that ohlins are not used so much in the US because they are made outside the US. They sell everywhere else....

Valentino Rossi MotoGP World Champion Yamaha
Mattias Ekström DTM Audi
Antonio Liuzzi FIA Formel 3000 Lola
Jussi Pinomäki European Rally Cross Championship Renault
James Toseland Superbike Ducati
Buddy Rice Indianapolis 500 Team Rahal
Seiji Ara/Tom Kristensen/Rinaldo Capello Le Mans 24 h Audi Sport
R.Kelly/G.Murphy Bathurst 1000 Kmart Racing Team
Richard Lyons Formula Nippon DoCoMo Dandelion

http://www.ohlins.com/news_product_news.shtml

Allen
11-11-2004, 05:23 AM
I might be wrong but if my memory serves me correct, I race GNCC's and about 5 or 6 years ago Barry Hawk was running Ohlins on his quad.....and we all know how that turned out

stocktires
11-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm running an Ohlins on the rear of my R. The same shock you have sylvan, I believe. I really like it, but I don't have much seat time yet to dial it in. Stock linkage. I wouldn't be afraid to buy some LT Ohlins when I get an LT front end.

Shuee_400
11-13-2004, 11:24 PM
There is some good stuff in this thread... I think pappy knows his stuff...........

kwatts400
11-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, he does.

stocktires
11-15-2004, 07:41 PM
One question, Who would be the best to re-valve my Ohlins?

kwatts400
11-16-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been told pro-action does a good job with ohlins shocks.